white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Question Need help taking the h/c plunge.

Well, I am lost. Something bad is wrong with my engine right now. Some of you guys have suggested that one of my oil control rings are bad. I have oil in the air filter, maf, intake, and blowing out the exhaust coating my o2's. I think I screwed up a valve. I broke off two header bolts when I put in my LT's, and my problem started shortly after that install. I am to the point where I am going to tear down the heads, (check the rings while I am in there) then do some head work, and put a cam in while I have it tore apart. I have a goal of 450 rwhp. I am thinking that I am better off scrapping my 241's and picking up a set of 243's. Since I am going to have to have work done, I think it would be better to do the work on better heads, right? I def dont have the cash to get nice heads from the big guys. So, can I pick up any 243 or 799 head used? Then, what do I have to have done to them? I know a good machine shop here in town. That is about all I know. Do I need to replace everything in the heads? Do I need to have them ported to achieve my goal? I can follow the cam install write up no sweat. ANd I am thinking I am going to go with the 228r cam. Will that get me to my goal? I am not looking for an ET, just street warrior. My car is a M6. So, if someone would be kind enough to hold my hand and walk me through this, I would appreciate it. Also, this is not my DD. And I do have to get it past emissions. Just a plug in test here, so a tune from Frost should do the trick. (I only got to put 1 k on the first tune.) (--- sucks

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

What's your budget? You can pick up a H/C package from TSP with worked over 243's for around $1900.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I saw those. Can't I do it for a lot less than that?

Sebring Silver
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

Keep in mind that the package from TSP comes with your choice of Oil pump, LS2 Chain, Valve springs, as well and all other necessary parts brand new when doing a Head/Cam swap

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

So, that package is literally everything I need except the tune?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If it comes with the cam, heads (gasket), oil pump, valve springs, timing chain, and hardened push rods....I would say yes.

Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Definately gain more power w/ the 243's...as for a tune...id reccomend dyno for heads cam

Heads/Cam/Intake/Stall.
    404 Rwhp uncorrected @ 6400

Quote Originally Posted by BrntWS6 View Post
    What's your budget? You can pick up a H/C package from TSP with worked over 243's for around $1900.
    +1 on going with a h/c package. You will probably have over 1k in the heads alone by the time you buy a good used set, have the machine work done and add in the new parts. Reaching 450rwhp with a stock cube ls1 is going to be tough on a budget. You will need a big cam, good tune and a fast intake/tb set up to get close to that. 400rwhp is more realistic especially if you are on a budget. I'm sure if you call TSP or other reputable retailers they can help you pick the right parts to get close to your goal. Don't get stuck on numbers it's how the car drives that is most important.

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    I saw those. Can't I do it for a lot less than that?

With my entire build I have about $2600 - $2700 into it with me doing the work. That's with 2.5 ls6 heads milled .020, Torquer v3, injectors, lifters, oil pump, timing chain, gaskets, UD pulley. That does not include a tune. Then you'll probably need a upgraded clutch if you already don't. That combo should get you in the 430-440 rwhp range pretty easy, maybe a tick more with a lightweight flywheel.

The heads are assembled and it comes with push rods but an oil pump and timing chain are extra.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Okay, I did some research and found out that my problem was the pcv system. I replaced the whole shit pot and then replaced the O2 sensors, cleaned MAF, plugs, and she passed emissions. So, I am good for two more years. I have a catch can sitting in the garage, to eliminate the problem. I just want to let you guys know that i am not going to wait two years to get H/C package. I appreciate all your advice, and I am sure I will need more as I go. Looks like PRC Stage 2.5 heads, and pick a cam. Hopefully by fall.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

450's will be out of reach with that cam and mild 243 heads, i would expect close to 400 or so and 410-420 with a good tune and intake dyno depending of course
    2000 ss camaro, forged lq9 370 short block, stage 3 PRC 243 heads, fast 102 w, big mouth throttle body, MS3 cam, 1.7 roller rockers, stage 3 t-56, monster stage 3, pro 5.0, 4.10's with moser axles, bmr tq arm, lca's, phb. SOLD (thankfully)!!!

New project: 1968 step-side, partial restore, ls/th400 swap. hopefully boosted pics and more info to come!!!

Having a small cam is like having a small dick, everytime you go to use it you wish it was bigger

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Hey, it's only money
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Hey, it's only money
    yeah only money lol im already 2k into my motor and dont even have the new short block fully built. hopefully itll be worth it in the long run

Thread Information