Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2000 Trans am ls1

Need help picking a cam.

Was looking a t cams today....where the h3ll do i start. i want some with power but still being able to drive if it is colder out nice winter day or something. i all ready know i will need a tune. so power lope is fine too. any advice to help me pick one.

Black
    2000 Trans am ls1

oh ya and and i was looking at intakes. ls6 or FAST.

Mag Red
    2002 Vette

One of the worst mistakes you can make is having someone pick a cam for you. Take a read at this link and get a little smarter on cams, it will help you trade-off the different specifications as any cam is a compromise. You also should be brutally honest with yourself as to what you are looking for from the car, while a nice lumpy idle can sound good, it also presents driving issues. If your car is an auto, too much cam can require a converter. Get smart on cams then start looking around.

Link

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Yeah read up on it give some cam comps a call and see what they say that can grind for your spec wants

Black
    2000 Trans am ls1

just looking for some help i have called some techs but nothing beats a LS1.com members. they give me a bunch of run arounds. but no one knows as much about cams for ls1 cars but the owers of a ls1 with a cam.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

what are your goals? current mods? future mods in mind?

a 228R is a good all around cam, so is a 224 (what im running). great power under the curve. not PEAK HP making cams. good daily driver manners, etc. smart move would be to address the suspension before adding power...

i can tell you from personal experience, forget the LS6 intake and go FAST 90 or 92, unless you plan to run forced induction, then use an LS6 intake.

you will be fine w/the Ls1 intake for the time being until you get heads, then swap out intakes...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

hmm also tho..the new 92/92 is supposed to be stronger now and if you do want to go FI ..you need to get the burst panels..i believe its an extra 150 bucks

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

Quote Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
    One of the worst mistakes you can make is having someone pick a cam for you. Take a read at this link and get a little smarter on cams, it will help you trade-off the different specifications as any cam is a compromise. You also should be brutally honest with yourself as to what you are looking for from the car, while a nice lumpy idle can sound good, it also presents driving issues. If your car is an auto, too much cam can require a converter. Get smart on cams then start looking around.

Link
    so after reading most of this article it puts a lot of emphasis on the size of the valves in relation to the size of the cylinder. so im guessing this means if i plan on doing heads in the future i should consider this, or maybe wait and do both at the same time so they can be paired properly?

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post

a 228R is a good all around cam, so is a 224 (what im running). great power under the curve. not PEAK HP making cams. good daily driver manners, etc. smart move would be to address the suspension before adding power...

i can tell you from personal experience, forget the LS6 intake and go FAST 90 or 92, unless you plan to run forced induction, then use an LS6 intake.

you will be fine w/the Ls1 intake for the time being until you get heads, then swap out intakes...
    what he said
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by KING Z28 HAWK View Post
    Yeah read up on it give some cam comps a call and see what they say that can grind for your spec wants
    i did that a few years back when i was about to do a cam.
    if i would of listened to the tech guy, i would of fucked up my motor quickly after installing the cam.
    long story short, i had 1.85 rocker arms and the guy was telling me to get a cam at 590 lift or close to that.

Black
    2000 Trans am ls1

why suspension. like what?

what about a ms3 cam

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    i did that a few years back when i was about to do a cam.
    if i would of listened to the tech guy, i would of fucked up my motor quickly after installing the cam.
    long story short, i had 1.85 rocker arms and the guy was telling me to get a cam at 590 lift or close to that.
    Wow! Yeah nevermind come to LS1 with all your questions

puter/blk
    02 CAMARO Z28

look up texasspeed.com they are very helpful and cane tune your car
    [/SIGPIC]granatelli mafs,slp cold air pkg,smooth bellow,ported tb, msd ignition,lt pacesetter headers,off road y pipe,lm2,100 shot.4l60e by performabuilt transmission level 3 3800 stall and 3.73's gears,cut outs, bmr suspension , control arms, phb, sub frame connectors,3.5 aluminum drive line

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by bballking_2007 View Post
    why suspension. like what?

what about a ms3 cam
    to support what power you currently have and it will only help down the road once power mods are on the car. that way you know your drivetrain can handle the extra power...

subframes, LCA's, PH bar, TQ arm, 12 bolt or 9", springs/shocks, poly transmission/engine mounts, etc...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

to support what power you currently have and it will only help down the road once power mods are on the car. that way you know your drivetrain can handle the extra power...

subframes, LCA's, PH bar, TQ arm, 12 bolt or 9", springs/shocks, poly transmission/engine mounts, etc...
    i'm with stupid minus the PH bar and the Tq arm...it all depends on if he is having wheel hop issues ..if he isnt getting wheel hop there really isnt a need to get a tq arm until the issue arrives(my opinion)..however get the lca and relocation lca brackets, shocks and mounts. Its important for the person to know that if he gets lowering springs..that it will upset the geometry of the suspension...thats when the relocation brackets and the lca's are required...since traction issues will appear..after which i am sure he might still get wheel hop..which means a tq arm might be required....but like brian said....first get sfcs,shocks, lca and relocation brackets.....if you are keeping your stock rim size and dont feel like lowering the car then stick with the stock springs..for drag racing they are actually pretty nice...but if larger rims and lowering are in your plans..then the PHB will be required to center your rear and the other supporting suspension mods to address the balance issue. sorry for the novel

Black
    2000 Trans am ls1

will a magic stick three work? thats what i think will work good.

NBM
    1998Z28

First off don't get in a hurry and buy a cam you'll regret later. Texas Speed is getting ready to test a bunch of different cams/heads on a stock 347 motor. My suggestion would be to wait and see what their results are and pick your best option from their testing.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

stock motor is a 346, not 347. a forged 347 can yield drastically different results that the stock 346 Ls1 block...

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

My best advice for picking a cam is do lots or reading, phones calls, and talking. Then eventually you will get a better idea of what you want. I know when I was picking out this cam I used something like 300 of my cell phone's minutes just talking to different people, and that was just the different shops. Even more time was spent talking with all my friends.

Black
    2000 Trans am ls1

i have talked to alot of people. techs from ws6 store. comp cams. haven't tried texas speed. shops after shops. how well do you like the ms4 PFM?

Thread Information