Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Need help on my Cam/Heads setup..

This is my plan so far, going to be gathering parts in the next couple of months. First off my family owns a custom engine shop so a engine build is no big deal.. Has been in business for over 30 years, have everything to do a motor top notch, my grandpa and uncle run the shop and build the majority of the sprint car motors here in OKC. So anything and everything I have on this motor will be ported/polished balanced and matched.

Pulling the Stock 346 out:

TSP Torquer V.2 Cam 232/234 .595"/.598"
    AFR Heads 205cc? (What size CC chamber? 66?)
    w/ Double Roller Adj Timing Set
    w/ Ported LS6 Oil Pump
    What LSA? I want a street able but rough idle. 112, 113, 114? Car is a M6.

GM Cam, Bolt Gasket Kit
    w/ Cometic Head gaskets (.045 to bump the compression up a little)

F.A.S.T. 92mm Intake & N.W. 92mm TB

Clevite H Main/Rod Bearings

The bottom end will be rebuilt stock.

Let me know if you guys see anything I can improve or would be a better setup please.

The car is pretty much a Daily Driver, but I also have another vehicle... The car is garage kept so never has to start in freezing temps or anything. I want a Really fast street car/weekend warrior. I don't mind a loud/big cammed car everyday, that's why people look anyways right?

And also what about dyno numbers through the stock 10 bolt, and through the 9" I will be putting in at the same time.

Thanks guys!!

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Tell me if I missed anything Thanks

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Sound like a good set up there. With a tune and having a M6 you will be fine with the 112 las. What gears are you gonna have in there?

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by KING Z28 HAWK View Post
    Sound like a good set up there. With a tune and having a M6 you will be fine with the 112 las. What gears are you gonna have in there?
    Already have 4.10.. With the 9" going to be 4.11

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

you could go bigger and just get forged pistons with valve reliefs and some forged rods so you can really rev out that engine. If you are having the bottom end rebuilt then go forged.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

actually I just noticed something else.. you have a 92mm intake and throttle body on there. That can be added at a later date WITHOUT tearing your engine back down. If you decide at a later date that you should have went forged on the bottom end then you are screwed. I would say if money is an issue then forge the bottom end now and do the manifold and throttle body later. Hell you could probly scrape together enough leftover cash for a used LS6 intake manifold to go with everything else for the time being.

Blue
    2000 Z28

2000 camaro

If you look to the left, you see the camaro that I wrecked. I possibly have just what you want. I have a 383 with Callies crank and rods, Mahle pistons, 11:1 compression with AFR 205's, ls2 cheater cam from Thunder Racing. The engine made 442 rwhp, 445 rwtq on a Mustang Dyno. I have a Ford 9" with Detroit Trutrac w/3.50 gears, UMI suspension pieces. I'm asking $9,000 for the whole car which includes Kooks stainless steel headers that were Jet Hot coated, Mcleod adj master cylinder with drill mod done on stock line, Spec stage 3 clutch with aluminum flywheel. Car was perfect daily driver, no lope cam and made gobs of power. Feel free to call 856-340-6023 with any questions. I have receipts and dyno sheets.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    you could go bigger and just get forged pistons with valve reliefs and some forged rods so you can really rev out that engine. If you are having the bottom end rebuilt then go forged.
    Got suggestions on the forged bottom end? I figured if I wanted to go bigger later I could do like a 408.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy001 View Post
    If you look to the left, you see the camaro that I wrecked. I possibly have just what you want. I have a 383 with Callies crank and rods, Mahle pistons, 11:1 compression with AFR 205's, ls2 cheater cam from Thunder Racing. The engine made 442 rwhp, 445 rwtq on a Mustang Dyno. I have a Ford 9" with Detroit Trutrac w/3.50 gears, UMI suspension pieces. I'm asking $9,000 for the whole car which includes Kooks stainless steel headers that were Jet Hot coated, Mcleod adj master cylinder with drill mod done on stock line, Spec stage 3 clutch with aluminum flywheel. Car was perfect daily driver, no lope cam and made gobs of power. Feel free to call 856-340-6023 with any questions. I have receipts and dyno sheets.
    Little far away but that seems like a good deal.. Going with all new stuff anyways

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by SteelmanLS1 View Post
    Got suggestions on the forged bottom end? I figured if I wanted to go bigger later I could do like a 408.
    I have not personally done a forged bottom end so I can not really recommend any particular products to you. It is in my plans for when I need a rebuilt done but for now I am just saving my money and riding out what I have. Depends on how much money I have when my lower end starts having issues as to what I will get. Anyways I just wanted to strongly suggest that because you are already in there and you will have more options if you went forged. You can do a huge cam and then still spray it down the road without any worries.

If you do a search or post on here there are always people finding great deals on ebay and they are deals for quality products. Just make sure if you get it off ebay it was recommended from someone so you dont end up with a true "ebay special"

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

After talking it over with my Dad...

He told me "If your going to get a loan for it, might as well go big and be done".

So 408 it is

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Oh boy, your taking a loan out for the 408? Well then I guess you have a whole different topic then.

If your saying go big then add a few more cubes. Go 418. Where you buying the short block?

Are you gonna just buy a block and have your dad's shop put it together? Either way, good luck on your car, Loan and all.

If you dont mind me asking, how much of a loan are you taking out for your car?
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Either way, get ARP rod bolts, head studs and main studs. The rod bolts FOR SURE. Thats a big issue on alot of LS1s. From what I've seen, experienced, and been told, its one of the main causes of blown LS1s.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    Either way, get ARP rod bolts, head studs and main studs. The rod bolts FOR SURE. Thats a big issue on alot of LS1s. From what I've seen, experienced, and been told, its one of the main causes of blown LS1s.

Agreed, if you are going through the trouble of rebuilding you might as well make sure some of the cheaper weak links are taken care of. This is especially true I think if you are going with a bigger cam. even with my little 226/228 cam I shift around 6500-6700 and that is as far as I feel comfortable taking a stock bottom end.

Thread Information