Thread: Need Help!!!!

Need Help!!!!

I have a 99 TA, I was driving it home yesterday and heard a weird sound coming from the engine. I stopped and pulled over and noticed that it sounded like a rod was knocking. I turned the car off and back on and notice that it said I had low oil. Checked the oil and it was low. Added oil to the car and drove it back home. When I go really slow and stop the rpms will go up and down from 400 to 800. Can someone tell me if this sounds like a rod knocking and how to fix it.

Thanks

Black & Black
    2001 Firehawk & 2002 WS-6

Deja Vu all over again!!!!

Here's what you do start saving some money because if you keep running your motor low on oil you are going to spend a lot on motor repairs. Hey I have another idea lets make a sticky that says check your oil on a regular basis. This is becoming a REALLY regular thread.

I guess the bonus for the rest of us is at this rate the rest of us are going to have our pick of any used parts we want at the local junkyard. The only bad part is going to be that GM isn't going to be able to cast blocks fast enough. So I guess after you save money on other parts and spend twice as much on motor upgrades it will probably balance out.
    Last edited by 2001hawk; 04-14-2007 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Wasn't sarcastic enough. LOL

Blog Entries

Black
    1999 Trans am

What is the oil pressure doing?

Now I remember why I quit coming and reading on this site and going to other sites. Its because of people like you being smart a$$es and dont have anything to say, but talk bad. For your information I checked the oil 3 days prior to this before I drove across the country with the car, and the car was fine until the end of the trip when I notice the sound! I would appreciate it 2001hawk if you stay out of my thread. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2001hawk View Post
    Here's what you do start saving some money because if you keep running your motor low on oil you are going to spend a lot on motor repairs. Hey I have another idea lets make a sticky that says check your oil on a regular basis. This is becoming a REALLY regular thread.

I guess the bonus for the rest of us is at this rate the rest of us are going to have our pick of any used parts we want at the local junkyard. The only bad part is going to be that GM isn't going to be able to cast blocks fast enough. So I guess after you save money on other parts and spend twice as much on motor upgrades it will probably balance out.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

how low on oil were you? also has the noise went away and now your only problem is the idle? how far did you drive it while it was knocking? did you listen to it under the car?

it was about 2 quarts low, the noise did not go away, it is still there, I lifted the hood and listen, and it sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of the engine. When the car revs up more the fast the sound is. I drove it home, was about 5 miles after I put the oil in.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

im thinking lifter failure perhaps...

i dont see it being a pushrod since nowhere have you indicated that you have over-revved the engine...

Black & Black

Quote Originally Posted by 96 trans am View Post
    Now I remember why I quit coming and reading on this site and going to other sites. Its because of people like you being smart a$$es and dont have anything to say, but talk bad. For your information I checked the oil 3 days prior to this before I drove across the country with the car, and the car was fine until the end of the trip when I notice the sound! I would appreciate it 2001hawk if you stay out of my thread. Thanks
    Listen here you are the one who said it was two quarts low on oil. That doesn't make me an idiot. All I said was check your oil on a regular basis. Some people say every week, some people say every tank of gas. You say you drove cross country without checking the oil until you heard it making weird noises. It is possible to spin a bearing at two quarts low. Also there have been several of these threads within the past few weeks. And if you think I never have anything good to say you are really off base. I have two LS1's one I know never loses oil but I still check it anyway. The other one I keep an eye on after every day of racing because at the RPM's I run it it does use some oil. But with that said if I know it is going to be using oil for whatever reason I check it more often and it is never even 1 full quart low before I top it off. I say the reason you think people are smartasses with nothing valid to offer is because you are pissed you might have trashed your motor. You would rather I said gee golly that sucks that your motor used some oil without topping itself off.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

'01Hawk, you did slam him hard in your first post whether joking or not. also, no one here has called you an idiot, so that comment is not needed as well...

so, im pretty sure he's referring to your second paragraph where you imply he's trashed his car and extra parts for us will be in a junkyard on his account. as with most issues, 'most' people to do intend to trash their cars purposely. also reading the reason you edited you post doesn't exactly help someone who's in a bind...

that whole second paragraph was not necessary. he's here looking for help/advise, not to be ridiculed on something that happens to be a common problem with Ls1's (low oil or not)...

so he might have taken that personally, fine let it go, both of you and let's get back to the topic/issue at hand of helping him figure out if it could be a spun bearing, failed lifter, or whatever the case may be...

Black & Black

OK I admit I probably took it a little to far. And yes he didn't call me an idiot, he only called me a smartass. Also I don't try to kick someone when they are down. I guess you have to disregard me sometimes if I am having a bad day or whatever. Agreed on moving on.
    So how many miles are on the engine? How does the oil pressure read? Is that actual or dash guage? Does it sound like it is coming from underneath or more up top? Have you done any mods to it or is it stock? Can you describe the sound more of a tapping or does it sound more solid?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 2001hawk View Post
    OK I admit I probably took it a little to far. And yes he didn't call me an idiot, he only called me a smartass. Also I don't try to kick someone when they are down. I guess you have to disregard me sometimes if I am having a bad day or whatever. Agreed on moving on.
    So how many miles are on the engine? How does the oil pressure read? Is that actual or dash guage? Does it sound like it is coming from underneath or more up top? Have you done any mods to it or is it stock? Can you describe the sound more of a tapping or does it sound more solid?
    Those are 2 very important questions. Is the knock up top or down low and is a full knock or a tap?

Thanks for being a stand up guy 2001hawk and letting it drop.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Those are 2 very important questions. Is the knock up top or down low and is a full knock or a tap?

Thanks for being a stand up guy 2001hawk and letting it drop.
    those were my next two questions.

Thread Information