Thread: need help

silver
    2002 trans am

need help

so im wanting to change the heads on my 02 ws6 to ls6 heads and i need to know if i can have my heads ported or do i just need to buy ls6 heads and what would be the best way to go if i want more power for my money

Black
    2002 SS camaro

youcan get them ported an polished an they will flow alot better, also have u looked into 5.3 heads

hugger orange

I ported, polished and milled .037" off my stock 241s... You'd be supprised how much matterial you can get out of the ports and really make stock heads flow

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

No the real question is how much are you willing to spend, I am going with the trick flow heads 215cc's, and a tourquer v2 cam at 112lsa while im at it. Depends on how much money you are willing to spend!!

White
    1994 Pontiac T/A

check out these guys the are putting out some crazy numbers http://www.advancedinduction.com/ they might be able to throw something together for you if the price is right.
    Last edited by Adam_94_T/A; 01-07-2010 at 05:42 AM.

silver
    2002 trans am

so by porting them will i get as much power as ls6 heads or more cause i know the ls6 makes like 405 and i have the ls6 intake manifold just woundering will porting them get me close to that

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Are you only wanting the change out the heads? By this, I mean do you plan on mods later on down the road like cam, headers?
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

silver
    2002 trans am

well i have headers but im just wanting to do the heads right now but will be doing a cam later!

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by silver2002ws6 View Post
    so by porting them will i get as much power as ls6 heads or more cause i know the ls6 makes like 405 and i have the ls6 intake manifold just woundering will porting them get me close to that
    If you port, polish and mill your stock heads (this is from everything I have read) your total power potential will be down by a peak of around 20 hp vs the average ls6 head that has been ported, polished and milled... But yours will flow as good or better at mid lift.

If you are doing the work yourself you have to be careful not to.go too far when opening the exhaust runner (there is a hump under the valvespring seat that coolant flows through) I had a head cutout laying there when I did mine so I knew exactly how far I could take mine without hitting the water jacket.

Are you asking for 400 flywheel hp or rwhp? You won't gain much from just heads, but they will really make a difference when you add a cam and by milling the heads you can keep the disired compession with a larger cam

NBM
    2002 Camaro

For around $1200 you can get you a set of CNC ported PRC 5.3's that are a pretty good head and already have the upgraded valvesprings in them.

408 ci + 4000 stall = fun lancesT/A's Avatar

red
    2002 SS

id get the 5.3s for a ls1 set up ur 241s have 66cc chambers and non milled ls6 has 64cc which will raise your CR the 5.3s have even smaller chambers and will get your compression up more so as far as bang for the buck id say thats your winner i mean dont get me wrong youll make more power with afrs or trickflows but they run about 2500 and youll only see at the most a 20hp gain (thru the rpms)over the ported and polished 5.3s from tsp which run 1200 so like i said in my opinion the best bang for the buck

Thread Information