View Poll Results: Best value heads for LS1?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Edelbrock

3 2.11%
  • Trick Flow

11 7.75%
  • DART

17 11.97%
  • AFR 205cc

70 49.30%
  • LS6 P&P

40 28.17%
  • LS1 P&P

3 2.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Need heads! Which set makes the most power?

This is a discussion on Need heads! Which set makes the most power? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I like my head cam setup. I run a Thunder Racing 230 reverse split cam with JPR S2 heads which ...

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I like my head cam setup. I run a Thunder Racing 230 reverse split cam with JPR S2 heads which I got from a guy on this board. I had some machine work done to them to clean the heads up and open them up a little but it was just a clean and polish job. Unfortunately they don't make the JPR S2's anymore but honestly the equivalent would be a pair of Patriot S3's. When shopping for a head, look at the average CFM not max CFM. You won't be running your car at .60 lift all the time which is where most head manufacturer's display for max CFM's. Usually a head that flows about 300 CFM's at max lift on the intake equivelates to about 275 at average lift which is a good setup for most. A good head cam combo that's mild will net about between 400 - 450 rwhp depending on your bolt on's and H/C size. I put out 500 rwhp with the 230, S2 heads, full bolt on's, Mahle 3.898" dished pistons, carillo rods with the stock stroke length, and stock polished crank. Everything put together and matched at a machine shop.

The guy selling the heads has a good deal going too, I would look into those heads cause with the right cam, that'll make a nice setup.
    98 WS6 M6 ASC #2647
    Forged Custom 408 w/Vortec YSi

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Redphoenix1998, I thought the Patriot S3's were for bigger bore engines? What size is the combustion chamber in your JPR S2 heads? Just wondering why you would run a dished piston. Valve clearance?

I was really interested in that same cam, but then I started listening to vid's of the G5x3 and threw reason out the window.

I won't be modding my car for a while yet, but I was looking to do some headers, Patriot S2's and the 230 reverse split.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    Redphoenix1998, I thought the Patriot S3's were for bigger bore engines? What size is the combustion chamber in your JPR S2 heads? Just wondering why you would run a dished piston. Valve clearance?

I was really interested in that same cam, but then I started listening to vid's of the G5x3 and threw reason out the window.

I won't be modding my car for a while yet, but I was looking to do some headers, Patriot S2's and the 230 reverse split.
    Yeah, I saw that too on the Patriot website. The Stage III said 4.0 something bore and the Stage II said 3.9 something. What gives?

1995 Z28 & 2002 Z28

Im rather new to the Ls1 scene as I bought my Z28 in 02 because I wanted to have the first and last year camaro, thing is I have been fortunate enough to aquire my 67 and 69 through my father as he used to build drag cars. Believe me, I have little extra funds for cars, its just something my family is into and I have bennifeted from which I am greatful for. I use my 02 on the street but recently got a little bored with its preformance and started with the typical bolt ons, headders MAF, gears etc. But I have to concur with Ibnaez, I have found that the correct combination of parts is essential if you want to make power and not waist your money. I have been doing some reading and I have found the LS1 can produce some seriouls torque for a little motor. Im apprehensive to start tearing my car apart because I have limited knowladge of PCM tuning but I'm looking into it. The wrong combination on my drag motor could result in a difference up to maybe 200hp so I have to be careful and consult my engine builder on every purchase. I have use Brodex and Dart heads on my bracket car with good results. However the AFR's I have now are the only heads I used straight out of the box with no machining and they have worked considerably well for a 19 degree head. I understand their 205 mongoose head is a very good head for the street. I didnt mess around with charts and other people advice, you can call AFR directly and talk to their technical staff and give them all the numbers and displacement you have and they will spec out a cam. Mine had to be ground by a company called cam dynamics but that may have been because the exaust lift was over .800 and they had the capabilities, im sure other cam shops can grind whatever you need. Just remember, at the end of the day heads and cam can result in what.. seroulsly upwards of $3000.00 for 40-60 realistic hp, for a few more bucks it seems there are turbos and blowers which will make twice that with your stock heads and cam, just a thought.
    Last edited by alamantia; 04-03-2006 at 07:23 PM.

Rivera Blue
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Some people would rather be satisfied with the simplicity of heads and cam instead of a complicated supercharger or turbo setup, Alamantia.
    Not argueing with you but 50 realistic HP is enough to satisfy most down-to-earth enthusiats. Sure the right boost system can dyno anywhere from 415 to 500 RWHP but its just more to worry about than a good old naturally aspirated H/Cs.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

The S3's are for bigger bore engines when it comes to combustion size diameter but when it comes to the flow characteristics, the the JPR's flow like the patriot S3's. I run a dished piston also because I dropped the compression on my motor so I can drop the supercharger and run a lot of boost

1995 Z28 & 2002 Z28

Point taken and yes he did ask about heads. However 50 relalistic HP are if conditions are perfect. right heads, right cam, right intake, right Throttle body, right lid, right MAF, right tune. If that was done already no problem for him, once you talk about getting all of those parts to work together, not to mention heads and cam is no small job either with R-134 lines and all form removing the condensor and all that other crap in the way. The supercharger may cost the same or even less than entire top end set up and garentee 100hp from the start... Blower aint nothing but some pulleys for adjustment. I guess its a matter of opinion. Some older blowers can me known for breaking and some drivability issues as well. Plus, blowers are just cool.

Rivera Blue

Why have the AC? I took mine completely off, my engine thanks me for it.

Blowers are cool but being a high comp engine with hyper pistons and low tension rings doesn't seem the ideal condition for 9 PSI.

I like the whine of a blower but I love the lope of a good cam through high flow heads.

As far as choosing the right combo, its not that hard for a Gen III engine to know what works and what doesn't work with everybody on LS1.com and vendors alike have tried almost every possible heads and cam setup to the aftermarket.

silver
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

No one seems to talk about TEA anymore? They make great heads, and they're very affordable.

Stage 1 5.7 $995

Stage 1.5 5.7 $1250

Stage 1.5 5.3 $1499
    2002 Trans Am 6sp, SLP lid, Holley filter, Shaner S3 TB, Jet Hot long tubes and cats, FRA, HP tuners, Hotchkis STB and LCAs. TEA stage 1.5 5.3 heads, Comp 220/224 114 +2, UMI Boxed SFCs, Edelbrock PHR. Moser 9" 4.11 gears.

**FOR SALE**: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f38/fs-02-silver-t-heads-cam-headers-9-fl-60478/

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

True, TEA makes good heads, also Alamantia is right, the right combination will net you the right horsepower. The heads should be matched to the cam, the heads to the manifold, the heads to the headers. Springs will play a role in how much lift you can get out of the cam. WHat's the use of a spring that's good up to .550 lift when your cam runs at .565 ya know. Do your research and find the right combination for you

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

It is true you need to research on here and see what people made from a cam or cam + heads combo and what bolt-ons they have.. These websites all bullshit you into buying their products and the HP claims arent correct....

For example when i was cam only i have supporting bolt ons and a TR 232/237 .595/.605 111.5 LSA and i made 411RWHP and 403RWTQ!!! Now thoes are numbers!!! and it was very streetable...no stalling and no surging... gas mileage coulda been betta but hey 4 400+ ponies and still bein able to putt around town is good eunff 4 me!!

Rivera Blue

Thats too big of a cam for a 5.7 with stock heads Need4Speed, I need my engine to last 100,000 miles, not 40,000.

Maybe if you had ported heads to help the efficiently engine build a little compression at low RPM but its still a big cam for a 5.7L. Nice HP numbers, can't argue with that.

black
    02 CAMARO SS

just me

i'd go with the afr's they flow great

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by onelife
    Thats too big of a cam for a 5.7 with stock heads Need4Speed, I need my engine to last 100,000 miles, not 40,000.

Maybe if you had ported heads to help the efficiently engine build a little compression at low RPM but its still a big cam for a 5.7L. Nice HP numbers, can't argue with that.
    I totally agree with you... I have heads in the works that will be milled and port match so the compression will be better so i can get life outta my block.... But yea it is a big cam but the way it was tuned it idles like a 224/224..

Rivera Blue

NeeD4SpeeD "But yea it is a big cam but the way it was tuned it idles like a 224/224.."

And this is one of the reasons I love GM Gen 3 engines.

1994 POS

Voting for Patriots, Granted this is one cam here but the cars have virtually the same mods. Give my page a look, PP Beat AFR on this one, some consider the gain a tie, but the savings was priceless... going with a new cam in 2 weeks so I won't have this combo for long. http://edigras.iweb.bsu.edu/headscam.htm

1994 POS

I find it hard to believe AFR is winning the poll for best Value Heads

Rivera Blue

Why the hell is Lingenfelter's heads on the poll?

Rivera Blue

I meant to say "Why the hell isn't Lingenfelter's heads on the poll?"

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Any reason why you left out ET performance?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information