Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

need advise for my cam

This is a discussion on need advise for my cam within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I just bought the t-rex camshaft 242/248 .608/.612 110 from thunder racing . i havent had it installed yet because ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Shoemakersville
    Posts
    4

    Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

    Question need advise for my cam

    I just bought the t-rex camshaft 242/248 .608/.612 110 from thunder racing . i havent had it installed yet because im lost for what else i need . im keeping the stock heads and valves . Any advise ?
    Last edited by TrexWs6; 01-22-2009 at 01:41 PM.

  2. #2
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Good place to start is with who you bought it from. They will be able to tell you exactly what you want. Basically...

    Dual valvesprings,
    Chromoly pushrods at the least... maybe

    valve seals, Ti retainers, locks etc. Call TR and they will let you buy all the stuff off them.

    Stock un-ported heads eh? Thats cam really likes ported heads. Be ready to spin that to the moon to see some power.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Shoemakersville
    Posts
    4

    Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

    thanks man , im not going for lots of power i just wanted a big lope to my car , ls6 or afr heads look good just hard right now with the great economy

  4. #4
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Well good luck on that awesome "sounding" "big lope" on your car!

    Sounds like it will be a killer (OK) from about 4000 RPM and above.


    Seriously though, The T-rex... MS series LOVES ported heads. You are not even coming close to maximizing what that cam can do with your stock un-ported heads. Its a great upper RPM cam, dont get me wrong. It WILL make sick power.... with heads to match. But IMO opinion... with stock heads, stock valve sizes and a cam that large, your leaving alot on the table. That cam wants big valves, smooth... "bigger" runners... and maybe even some steeper gears.

    Torque?

  5. #5
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Well good luck on that awesome "sounding" "big lope" on your car!

    Sounds like it will be a killer (OK) from about 4000 RPM and above.


    Seriously though, The T-rex... MS series LOVES ported heads. You are not even coming close to maximizing what that cam can do with your stock un-ported heads. Its a great upper RPM cam, dont get me wrong. It WILL make sick power.... with heads to match. But IMO opinion... with stock heads, stock valve sizes and a cam that large, your leaving alot on the table. That cam wants big valves, smooth... "bigger" runners... and maybe even some steeper gears.

    Torque?
    this guy is right. need to do some head work for that cam to work. that cam wants higher compression too. . . .gonna be close to pistons. i'd say some aftermarket heads would be crucial for that cam (w/ stock cubes), since you will NEED to spin it. some rod bolts would be good idea too. personally, i have a giant cam since i don't drive my car all the time. i spin it to 7200 w/ hydra rev kit and it's awesome.

  6. #6
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    that is a huge cam. I wouldn't even try to put in with stock heads, maybe with a good set of stage 2.5 heads and fast intake

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    jacksonville
    Posts
    11

    Pewter
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro SS

    That is a big cam. If this is a daily driver car I would go with something different. I have a pretty big cam in mine and I have to spin it to 7500 plus, but my car is a toy and not my DD. Call Geoff at TR and tell him what you want the car to do, what kind of power you want and hell hook you up with a killer setup. Also be ready for a tuner to charge you a decent amount to get that car to drive on the street.

  8. #8
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    Quote Originally Posted by camaross22 View Post
    That is a big cam. If this is a daily driver car I would go with something different. I have a pretty big cam in mine and I have to spin it to 7500 plus, but my car is a toy and not my DD. Call Geoff at TR and tell him what you want the car to do, what kind of power you want and hell hook you up with a killer setup. Also be ready for a tuner to charge you a decent amount to get that car to drive on the street.
    what power numbers are you makin spinnin it that high? cam specs? is it hydraulic? i ask 'cuz we have similar setups.

  9. #9
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Uhh, the T Rex was designed to be an all out cam only cam. Designed for stock heads. Check out LS1Techs top ten fastest cam only cars, at least 3 TRexs on there.

  10. #10
    Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Orlando FL
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,045

    Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

    If you're worried about pricing you can port the stock heads. Once ported a set of stock heads will flow almost the same as ported ls6's. Just get them cnc ported and save money doing the head assembly yourself. Also, depending on your mileage (50k+) you may want to consider a new set of lifters for the swap.

  11. #11
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    on that note, ported ls1's will actualyl outflow ls6 heads til' mid-lift range.

  12. #12
    Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Orlando FL
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,045

    Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

    Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    on that note, ported ls1's will actualyl outflow ls6 heads til' mid-lift range.
    Damn, I didn't know that, but I'm right in saying the ls6 pulls ahead at the higher lift range right?

  13. #13
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    yea they do. i've generally seen right in the .3-.350 lift range the ls6 pulls ahead on flow.

  14. #14
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Uhh, the T Rex was designed to be an all out cam only cam. Designed for stock heads. Check out LS1Techs top ten fastest cam only cars, at least 3 TRexs on there.
    I was just getting ready to post that it was designed for stock heads. Even the dyno graph at their website shows it on stock heads.

  15. #15
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I was just getting ready to post that it was designed for stock heads. Even the dyno graph at their website shows it on stock heads.
    hey Orion, I just wanted to say thank you for all the help navigating and understanding hptuners, I got the goat running great now!
    Last edited by mark21742; 02-10-2009 at 07:15 AM. Reason: spelling

  16. #16
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    hey Orion, I just wanted to say thank you for all the help navigating and understanding hptuners, I got the goat running great not!
    no problem, glad you got her running good.

  17. #17
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    no problem, glad you got her running good.
    lol I need spell check on my phone.....im glad you read that the way I ment it, not the way I spelled it.....i ment (now), not (not)......the goat runs great

  18. #18
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    The more I was researching my cam, the more I saw what you guys are saying.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Shoemakersville
    Posts
    4

    Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

    sooooo i have gold double spring valvesprings , retainers and locks and cromoly push rods ?still dint get it intstalled because i wanted to see what the masters had to say about it , are the double springs a must or just a helper to make sure no problems ? what does it usually cost to get heads ported ?

  20. #20
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by TrexWs6 View Post
    sooooo i have gold double spring valvesprings , retainers and locks and cromoly push rods ?still dint get it intstalled because i wanted to see what the masters had to say about it , are the double springs a must or just a helper to make sure no problems ? what does it usually cost to get heads ported ?
    With the Trex you definaetely need some high lift dual springs. Nobody gets their heads ported. Usually just buy a set of worked 5.3s or LS6s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: Cam advise
    By molobo in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-22-2009, 05:46 PM
  2. Need some advise
    By ledesma54 in forum Drag Racing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-21-2009, 03:52 PM
  3. I Need Some Advise
    By 98black bird in forum General Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-15-2007, 07:06 PM
  4. The Best Advise you'll ever get
    By MadSeason in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-26-2007, 07:50 PM
  5. Looking for advise on first mod to WS6
    By M.RedWS6 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-07-2007, 04:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •