Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

Question need advise for my cam

I just bought the t-rex camshaft 242/248 .608/.612 110 from thunder racing . i havent had it installed yet because im lost for what else i need . im keeping the stock heads and valves . Any advise ?
    Last edited by TrexWs6; 01-22-2009 at 12:41 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Good place to start is with who you bought it from. They will be able to tell you exactly what you want. Basically...

Dual valvesprings,
    Chromoly pushrods at the least... maybe

valve seals, Ti retainers, locks etc. Call TR and they will let you buy all the stuff off them.

Stock un-ported heads eh? Thats cam really likes ported heads. Be ready to spin that to the moon to see some power.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

thanks man , im not going for lots of power i just wanted a big lope to my car , ls6 or afr heads look good just hard right now with the great economy

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Well good luck on that awesome "sounding" "big lope" on your car!

Sounds like it will be a killer (OK) from about 4000 RPM and above.

Seriously though, The T-rex... MS series LOVES ported heads. You are not even coming close to maximizing what that cam can do with your stock un-ported heads. Its a great upper RPM cam, dont get me wrong. It WILL make sick power.... with heads to match. But IMO opinion... with stock heads, stock valve sizes and a cam that large, your leaving alot on the table. That cam wants big valves, smooth... "bigger" runners... and maybe even some steeper gears.

Torque?

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Well good luck on that awesome "sounding" "big lope" on your car!

Sounds like it will be a killer (OK) from about 4000 RPM and above.

Seriously though, The T-rex... MS series LOVES ported heads. You are not even coming close to maximizing what that cam can do with your stock un-ported heads. Its a great upper RPM cam, dont get me wrong. It WILL make sick power.... with heads to match. But IMO opinion... with stock heads, stock valve sizes and a cam that large, your leaving alot on the table. That cam wants big valves, smooth... "bigger" runners... and maybe even some steeper gears.

Torque?
    this guy is right. need to do some head work for that cam to work. that cam wants higher compression too. . . .gonna be close to pistons. i'd say some aftermarket heads would be crucial for that cam (w/ stock cubes), since you will NEED to spin it. some rod bolts would be good idea too. personally, i have a giant cam since i don't drive my car all the time. i spin it to 7200 w/ hydra rev kit and it's awesome.

hugger orange

that is a huge cam. I wouldn't even try to put in with stock heads, maybe with a good set of stage 2.5 heads and fast intake

Pewter
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro SS

That is a big cam. If this is a daily driver car I would go with something different. I have a pretty big cam in mine and I have to spin it to 7500 plus, but my car is a toy and not my DD. Call Geoff at TR and tell him what you want the car to do, what kind of power you want and hell hook you up with a killer setup. Also be ready for a tuner to charge you a decent amount to get that car to drive on the street.

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by camaross22 View Post
    That is a big cam. If this is a daily driver car I would go with something different. I have a pretty big cam in mine and I have to spin it to 7500 plus, but my car is a toy and not my DD. Call Geoff at TR and tell him what you want the car to do, what kind of power you want and hell hook you up with a killer setup. Also be ready for a tuner to charge you a decent amount to get that car to drive on the street.
    what power numbers are you makin spinnin it that high? cam specs? is it hydraulic? i ask 'cuz we have similar setups.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Uhh, the T Rex was designed to be an all out cam only cam. Designed for stock heads. Check out LS1Techs top ten fastest cam only cars, at least 3 TRexs on there.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

If you're worried about pricing you can port the stock heads. Once ported a set of stock heads will flow almost the same as ported ls6's. Just get them cnc ported and save money doing the head assembly yourself. Also, depending on your mileage (50k+) you may want to consider a new set of lifters for the swap.

red
    2000 camaro ss

on that note, ported ls1's will actualyl outflow ls6 heads til' mid-lift range.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    on that note, ported ls1's will actualyl outflow ls6 heads til' mid-lift range.
    Damn, I didn't know that, but I'm right in saying the ls6 pulls ahead at the higher lift range right?

red
    2000 camaro ss

yea they do. i've generally seen right in the .3-.350 lift range the ls6 pulls ahead on flow.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Uhh, the T Rex was designed to be an all out cam only cam. Designed for stock heads. Check out LS1Techs top ten fastest cam only cars, at least 3 TRexs on there.
    I was just getting ready to post that it was designed for stock heads. Even the dyno graph at their website shows it on stock heads.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I was just getting ready to post that it was designed for stock heads. Even the dyno graph at their website shows it on stock heads.
    hey Orion, I just wanted to say thank you for all the help navigating and understanding hptuners, I got the goat running great now!
    Last edited by mark21742; 02-10-2009 at 06:15 AM. Reason: spelling

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    hey Orion, I just wanted to say thank you for all the help navigating and understanding hptuners, I got the goat running great not!
    no problem, glad you got her running good.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    no problem, glad you got her running good.
    lol I need spell check on my phone.....im glad you read that the way I ment it, not the way I spelled it.....i ment (now), not (not)......the goat runs great

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

The more I was researching my cam, the more I saw what you guys are saying.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

sooooo i have gold double spring valvesprings , retainers and locks and cromoly push rods ?still dint get it intstalled because i wanted to see what the masters had to say about it , are the double springs a must or just a helper to make sure no problems ? what does it usually cost to get heads ported ?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by TrexWs6 View Post
    sooooo i have gold double spring valvesprings , retainers and locks and cromoly push rods ?still dint get it intstalled because i wanted to see what the masters had to say about it , are the double springs a must or just a helper to make sure no problems ? what does it usually cost to get heads ported ?
    With the Trex you definaetely need some high lift dual springs. Nobody gets their heads ported. Usually just buy a set of worked 5.3s or LS6s.

Thread Information