black & white
    1992 Camaro B4C

Question Need Advice On Engine Rebuild

Gang, I am obviously new to the LS1 arena and here is what I need help in. I might be purchasing a 2002 police camaro with a blown motor. Actually, something cracked the oil pan and he continued the chase and seized the motor i guess.

My questions are; anything salvagable in this engine. I know we wont really be able to tell until a teardown but maybe someone here has experienced it.

Question 2; if the bottom end is junk, what is normally advisable and cost effective for a short block

Question 3; what about heads & cam(while it is down, I have no problem with extra horses(400+ sounds good) except cost will become a factor eventually)

Question 4; what are the nominal labor charges for doing an engine R&R. Guessing a couple grand. Is it something I might be able to do in my garage(dont know if I can raise the car high enough to drop cradle and engine.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Black
    99 SS

um i have a shop rebuilding my engine, and the labor is $1,500
    and im having a cam and new intake installed oh and stall and headers.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 1992B4C
    Gang, I am obviously new to the LS1 arena and here is what I need help in. I might be purchasing a 2002 police camaro with a blown motor. Actually, something cracked the oil pan and he continued the chase and seized the motor i guess.

My questions are; anything salvagable in this engine. I know we wont really be able to tell until a teardown but maybe someone here has experienced it.

Question 2; if the bottom end is junk, what is normally advisable and cost effective for a short block

Question 3; what about heads & cam(while it is down, I have no problem with extra horses(400+ sounds good) except cost will become a factor eventually)

Question 4; what are the nominal labor charges for doing an engine R&R. Guessing a couple grand. Is it something I might be able to do in my garage(dont know if I can raise the car high enough to drop cradle and engine.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    No way would I put a penny into this motor...no way no how....
    Cylinders/bearings/valves/crank... etc. where does it end?...get a crate motor for under $3500 and go like hell....

black & white
    1992 Camaro B4C

Thanks for the reply's, but where can you get a crate motor for $3500? Is that short block only I am guessing. Like I say, I am a noob so any insight is appreciated. Thanks again.

Thread Information