Need advice on Cam!! 126k 01 m6 z28

This is a discussion on Need advice on Cam!! 126k 01 m6 z28 within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Well I finally decided I REALLY want a cam in my car. Shes got higher miles but it was lady ...

SOM
    2002 SS

Need advice on Cam!! 126k 01 m6 z28

Well I finally decided I REALLY want a cam in my car. Shes got higher miles but it was lady driven and besides a little piston slap on cold start up shes rock solid right to redline. oil pressure is 75% at startup and settles to about 55% at its lowest when hot.

Mods so far are k&n with the free ram air mod and a 3" y + corsa exhaust. I plan to do longtubes and high flow cats but am holding off until I can be sure cheapo high flow cats can pass me the emissions test. I also dont have a shoppe that can quote me a reasonable price on the install so frustrated a bit there.

What I am after is approx 30 solid hp. If I can get more then I'll be happier. What I am after though is AS STOCK as possible. It has to be so mild its not obvious theres a cam in there. perfect driveability etc. This car is my daily driver AND only winter vehicle. I want a bit more to confidently walk idiots in some cars that come close ie. m3, g37, 350/370z, stangs, the new u.s army tank vehicles : Challenger and camaro ss etc. Any reccomendations on popular cams or others would be appreciated. any youtube links etc would also be great. I am not against choppy or big cams jst that my vette has a high .6xx lift solid roller with duration above 250s so 1 airplane vehicle is enough. I cannot have my wife know I am starting to toy with this car.

So, I would like to reuse the stock rockers. I looked in to yella terras but I decided against it since I am trying to keep costs at a minimum. when I rebuild the motor I will be going cast stroker eagle crank rods, mahle pistons, afr heads yella terras etc etc. so what do I need? i am thinking valve springs, pushrods, timing chain, oil pump what else?

I'm all ears enlighten me guys..

Black
    2000 Trans Am

umm.. I really dont think you need a cam to pick up only 30 more hp to the wheels. Your longtubes if you buy good ones, and a good tune should get you pretty close if not the 30 you are looking for.

I would look into bolt ons first.

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

if u deffinatly want a cam, and one that sounds and performs like stock i would look into the factory ls6 cam it has a higher durration than the ls1 and will idle smooth

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 02fbody35th View Post
    if u deffinatly want a cam, and one that sounds and performs like stock i would look into the factory ls6 cam it has a higher durration than the ls1 and will idle smooth
    There was a dyno day here a few months ago, there was a 2001 Camaro with the LS6 cam in it. He put down 2 more hp more than my bolt on car did, but he did have 20 more tq than me, he was running the 10 bolt too.

But if he wants a cam with the specs he wants that would be the one i would go with too.

SOM
    2002 SS

appreciate the input guys. Longtubes and high flow cats WILL come for sure I was just saying I haven't found a place that I know can handle the install properly. There are numerous local shoppes who do great work with engines its just they are not Exhaust shoppes so I would rather have someone experienced with welding and positioning do that side of it.

Here's the cam i'm considering :

https://www.vengeancerd.com/ecart/products.php?product=-VRX1-Camshaft%252d220{47}220-.581{47}.581-114-LSA

too mild?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    appreciate the input guys. Longtubes and high flow cats WILL come for sure I was just saying I haven't found a place that I know can handle the install properly. There are numerous local shoppes who do great work with engines its just they are not Exhaust shoppes so I would rather have someone experienced with welding and positioning do that side of it.

Here's the cam i'm considering :

https://www.vengeancerd.com/ecart/products.php?product=-VRX1-Camshaft%252d220{47}220-.581{47}.581-114-LSA

too mild?
    Yes I think that is too mild for all the work (or expense if you hire someone to do the work). I installed a 228R cam recently and netted 35 RWHP and 10 RWTQ. I think anything smaller than a 224 cam will be a disappointment once you get it in. 114LSA is a good choice though if you want tame idle and driveability.

You definately want to do full exhaust including headers before installing a cam.

SOM
    2002 SS

I would have had the headers on already but my exhaust guy is being a douche. He messed my install of corsas a bit and the tips hang too low. he adjusted them once and welded it back up but the exhaust still rattles under the drivers seat and he keeps saying he can't adjust the tips or lower the muffler any more unless he redoes the whole thing. UGH.. If I can just get him to line it up so I'm happy I'll be swiping the card and ordering stainless (I'll be going thru snow with this baby) headers and get him to install it.

How much power do you think I'll gain with the cam I posted? I'm surprised you only picked up 10 rwtq.. was that peak or was there torque gains all across the range that were an increase of much more than that?

See i dont care for emissions. I have many shoppes that I can go to to get passes like ive been doing on the catless vette for 10 years its just noise i'm concerned about. since i want to keep cats i may as well pass emissions. whats the most aggressive cam that will pass emissions?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

The 10 RWTQ was peak, but it picked up across the RPM range above 2500. Maybe lost a little way down low, but you can still lug along at 1200 RPM in 6th gear so driveability is still excellent.

Not sure about output with that cam you posted, sounds pretty mild to me. Maybe pretty similar, maybe a little less...really depends. You read about many people replacing small cams with larger ones and wishing they went bigger the first time, so that's something to consider.

Not sure about emissions in Toronto, do they use a sniffer, or just OBD II plug in testing?

SOM
    2002 SS

Yeah I hear ya about the cam. I had a 244/246 in the vette with the 388 build and I thought it was way too tame

Any chance you have any idle or sound clips of your cam?

We have a sniffer. I don't really care I can get it to pass but I'd just feel stupid buying high flow cats to help keep it quiet and know that theyre not even working

I know some posts state people hitting decent numbers with an ls6 cam and the one I posted seems a tad more aggresive so I figured it can't be too bad.

I am having thoughts of picking up new ls6 castings with the lightweight valves and doing a tiny bit of porting myself on them for fun. Like a gasket match and slim down the valve guide bosses etc.

In all, I think LTs , ls6 heads and a small cam should net me about 40 conservative hp ? I Could be happy with that

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Here is a sound clip of the 228R cam:

If you do LTs, small cam and LS6 heads with some porting all at once and get a good tune, you might get 50-60 hp at the wheels.

SOM
    2002 SS

That sounds fantastic !! What are the exact details of your mods and exhaust?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Thanks!

Mods are intake lid, American Racing long tube headers and catted Y, Magnaflow catback, 228R cam on 113 LSA with related mods (PAC beehive valvesprings, ported oil pump, pushrods, dyno tune). Heads are stock.

The cam is pretty much a medium size cam in an LS1, but pulls hard to 6000+ rpm and rumbles nicely, great for a street car.

You might also want to check out the Torquer V2, very popular medium size cam with nice results.

Thread Information