onyx black
    1999 formula firebird

my mods...cam questions

im going to post all my mods and ask for your help and guidance in picking a cam pkg..SPONSORS FEEL FREE TO RECOMMENC PKGS!!! ..here goes and im sorry if this is beating a dead horse..but i can only afford to do this once...here goes..

1999 firebird formula-T Top car
    101K--77K when i first traded for her..
    Onyx Black
    LS1
    M6
    K&N air filter
    NGK Plugs
    MSD Wires
    SLP Long tuber ceramic heddars
    SLP Loudmouth version 1
    SLP 3.5 chrome Tips
    SLP LID
    SLP Strutt Tower Brace
    Spec stage 1 clutch
    Pro 5.0 shifter
    Hurst 35th anniv. shifter knob
    Skip Shift Eliminator
    Bilstein HD shock all the way around
    Eibach springs 1.5" drop
    Energy suspention bushing kit
    BMR Torque arm
    BMR Adj. Panhard Rod
    BMR LCA
    BMR SFC
    Richmond 3:73 gears
    Auburn LImited Slip Diff
    TA Girdle
    17x9.5 ZR1 GUnmetal Grey w/ SLP Centercaps (front)
    17x11 ZR1 Gunmetal Grey w/ SLP Centercaps (rear)
    ** rear tires are 315/35/17**
    OIL USED- ROYAL PURPLE
    FILTER - Fram Sure Grip

thanks again in advance for any help and imput!!!

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by 99 Formula
    she will see mild drag racing but LOTTA street time ..as she is my daily driver..and i can live w/ some good LOPE...just so long as it wont give my son (6 months old) shaken baby sysndrome lmao...and there wont be any autocrossing in my cars future..just straightline...and road trip/drag strip...back and forth to work...and can you move my posts? or do i repost in the other section? thanks and sorry to both and post innapropriately....
    from the email i recieved.

not worried about posting inappropriately. just want to make sure you get the answers you are looking for.

IMO, what you are looking for is a cam that makes real decent torque gains while also receiving some top end hp. i just got through putting a vinci 062 cam in the wife's, of all things, 99 formula . 210/218 .551/.551 112LSA it made 40 rwtq on the low end and 20 rwhp on the top end. i know not much for a cam swap, but it's the wife's car. overall, you do not want to go too big on the cam. most run a 224 type of cam. which is fine as well.

here's some sound clips of what it sounds like.

rev in park

idle in park

idle in drive
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

I suggest you just get a custom cam grind for your specific needs. They cost the same as something off the shelf and will be exactly what you're looking for.

This post has been edited due to a non-sponsor link.
    Last edited by keliente; 01-04-2006 at 01:45 PM.

maroon
    2001 Z28

what do you want out of the cam?? low end? mid range? top end? track cam? street cam? Nitrous cam? what power gains?

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

99 Formula - I think you may have left a few things out, I don't see what kind of lug nuts you are running...j/k.

Seriously, the only thing left out of your post is what you hope to acheive, as 01mmmz28 stated. You can get literally hundreds of different cams when you figure the different lobes and separations most vendors offer.

In the email listed above, you state you want a lope but not too much. mrr23 makes an excellent suggestion, not too much cam to live with at all in a daily driver. If you must have more power than that, a bit more duration on both sides won't hurt driveability much, especially if you widen the lobe separation to 114*.

Another option would be to upgrade to an LS6 intake or an LSX with a larger throttle body and some quality cylinder heads of your choice. Those in combination with the cam recommended above could net more than twice the gain in top end HP.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

onyx black
    1999 formula firebird

well a LS6 inatke is in the works right now..persuading the wife....but heads will simply have to wait for a bit..my buddies over at www.cgfyb.com have suggested the magic stick cam pkg from TSP..and my car will be w/ out the laughin gas or for that matter any power adder..doing this all NA..i would like as much hp and tq as i can get w/ just a cam swap but i dont want to get shaken all to hell ..got a 6 month old boy..and the car is my daily driver..but if i could get 400 hp thatd be great..i dont know what TQ i want..just will take all that i canget .....i will know soon what im putting to the ground tho....getting dynod..i just dont know a lot about cams..and i thought you guys would..not really sure how much TQ i can expect..but i want all i can get..because i wont be able to afford much of anything for a while... was hoping to be able to rev to 7K as well..thanks for all the help and maby when i get back to the states i can listen to those sound clips!!

maroon
    2001 Z28

^you may want to forget the magic stick then, cause it is a large cam, alot of lope, alot of shake.......not to calming to a baby boy. Even w/ a good tune the magic stick will be agressive. try out something from thunderracing.com, they give you estimated dyno graphs w/ their cams, and they do custom grinds too. or, try the tr224/224 cam, people have seen great numbers from this cam and it is very streetable.

onyx black
    1999 formula firebird

anything in particular recommended? i am trying to get 400 hp outta a cam swap..but if i had to settle for 380 then i could do that too lol...just thought id ask...thanks agian for all the help!!

silver
    2000 camaro ss

if you get the ls6 intake manifold, thunder racing 224r 112 lsa cam kit with dual springs, and port your throttle body, and throw a good tune in you should be between 385 and 405.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

the wife's car is about 370 rwhp on cam now. which equates to well over 400 hp. i think you are asking for RWHP not motor HP. put a cam in the 220-224 range for 400 rwhp if you are not going heads. the wife's car is on the LS1 intake. so, a LS6 intake would most likely get her to 400rwhp.

onyx black
    1999 formula firebird

sweetnes..thanks again!!! and yes it was RWHP..i wont be able to afford to do much else for my car..but i want to be able to run w/ some of the bottle babys in my club..but i have to do it all NA ..wifes rules..but since she pays for most of the parts..im not complainin!!
    Last edited by 99 Formula; 01-05-2006 at 12:30 AM.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 99 Formula
    but since she pays for most of the parts..im not complainin!!
    Another very wise man. You wouldn't want to stop the mod money.

Also, lucky kid who gets to grow up in a cammed LS1 car

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

id recommend the f11 cam. 228/230 112 or 114. It will get you about if not just over 380, but you will need to ditch the shotty ass slp headers and get a better set. Factor in the tune and springs along with the cost of the cam. They're a must! The headers will really hinder your gains, so if your not worried about that, then go for the cam. You can always get a set later....if the wife lets ya

Thread Information