Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 113

My Head/Cam Install

This is a discussion on My Head/Cam Install within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by splitfinger09 Heads will be here tomorrow! Have a question though. I saw someone use a 220 grit ...

  1. #61
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    Heads will be here tomorrow! Have a question though. I saw someone use a 220 grit sand paper block to clean the block deck. I uses this method as well, but I have not seen anyone esle do that. Did I damage the block deck? Also any tips on how to use the comp cams pushrod checker? Thanks!

    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Holy moly, you used 220 grit paper to clean an aluminum deck surface???
    Usually the head gasket surfaces are rated a certain stone, 40-50-60?? To seal specific head gaskets.
    Sanding with 220 not only creates a very rough surface, but doing it by hand I can only wonder if you created dips and irregularities on the deck surface.

    Aluminum is tricky to clean without gouging. I generally prefer to clean with chemical first, and anything stubborn or left behind I might use a razor blade being carefull not to scratch the surface.

  2. #62
    Junior Member incbed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    49

    Black
    2000 Z28 M6 Y3F

    Razor blade is the best way

  3. #63
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    I saw someone use a 220 grit sand paper block to clean the block deck. I uses this method as well, but I have not seen anyone esle do that.
    ever wonder why ? i hope to god you didn't really screw your deck up... :

    i have heard for aluminum blocks it is best to use a paint scrapper ..plastic one at that..others have used razor blades and chemicals ..but you need to be very careful with the really sharp edged devices not to gouge the shit out of it.


    i would personally take it to a shop and have the check it out / clean it up.

  4. #64
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Great thread guys......if only cali wasn't so bad with smog I would try and do this install myself.
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

  5. #65
    used and abused at wot ibanez7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Crystal Lake IL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,517

    Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

    everything you need to now about a cam swap right here!!

    http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23


    BIG TIP:
    one things I recommend doing when replacing the oil pump, is file notches into the head of the bolt (the bolt that holds the pick up tube to the pump). This way you can use a flathead to start turning the bolt into place when you reassemble.

    Also be sure to wrap fishing line or a steal wire around that same bolt so it does not fall into the crank case. otherwise your pulling the engine.

  6. #66
    Senior Member splitfinger09's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,264

    Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Holy moly, you used 220 grit paper to clean an aluminum deck surface???
    Usually the head gasket surfaces are rated a certain stone, 40-50-60?? To seal specific head gaskets.
    Sanding with 220 not only creates a very rough surface, but doing it by hand I can only wonder if you created dips and irregularities on the deck surface.

    Aluminum is tricky to clean without gouging. I generally prefer to clean with chemical first, and anything stubborn or left behind I might use a razor blade being carefull not to scratch the surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by incbed View Post
    Razor blade is the best way
    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    ever wonder why ? i hope to god you didn't really screw your deck up... :

    i have heard for aluminum blocks it is best to use a paint scrapper ..plastic one at that..others have used razor blades and chemicals ..but you need to be very careful with the really sharp edged devices not to gouge the shit out of it.


    i would personally take it to a shop and have the check it out / clean it up.
    fml. I dont know wtf I was thinking. what is my best course of action at this point??? I hate to link to tech, but here is the thread I was looking at. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...o-results.html
    Last edited by splitfinger09; 11-15-2010 at 02:42 PM.

  7. #67
    Senior Member splitfinger09's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,264

    Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

    Dont know if this helps at all but here are some pics I feel like shit right now. I really have no idea how to tell if I messed it up or not...



  8. #68
    Senior Member splitfinger09's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,264

    Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

    Well on a more happy not even though im freaking out right now thinking that I totally f@*#ed my block deck up. I got my cam installed with no complications.






  9. #69
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    I really don't know what advice to give you at this point. I can't really tell much of anything in the pictures.
    Just make sure everything is clean, reassemble and hope for the best

    Before you throw the heads on, be sure to clean out the trash that has dropped into the cylinders (I see it in the pics). Suck it out with a shop vac first to get the big stuff, then it helps to rotate the motor a few times, it will leave trash at the top of the cylinder walls that gets trapped between the piston crown and top ring, so you can simply wipe it out.

    I usually clean the tops of the pistons while they sit at top dead center too.

  10. #70
    Senior Member splitfinger09's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,264

    Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I really don't know what advice to give you at this point. I can't really tell much of anything in the pictures.
    Just make sure everything is clean, reassemble and hope for the best

    Before you throw the heads on, be sure to clean out the trash that has dropped into the cylinders (I see it in the pics). Suck it out with a shop vac first to get the big stuff, then it helps to rotate the motor a few times, it will leave trash at the top of the cylinder walls that gets trapped between the piston crown and top ring, so you can simply wipe it out.

    I usually clean the tops of the pistons while they sit at top dead center too.
    Ok so is there really a way that I could tell if I did any damage (it was a sanding block to btw not just paper)? What would the fix be? If I reassemble it and there was damage done, how could I tell? As far as the cleaning goes I will make sure its spotless. I know im a dumbass but thank you for your help...
    Last edited by splitfinger09; 11-15-2010 at 05:03 PM.

  11. #71
    Member TRANS-DAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PASADENA,TEXAS
    Posts
    391

    BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

    Dude don't panic!!....im pretty sure that 220 didn't hurt the surface! you used a block so im sure your are fine!.........if it would of been on an orbital sander or somthing like that then mabe so! but I think your ok! Like firebirdjones said just blow all trash out,use cometic gaskets & should bee fine!!

  12. #72
    Senior Member splitfinger09's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,264

    Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by TRANS-DAD View Post
    Dude don't panic!!....im pretty sure that 220 didn't hurt the surface! you used a block so im sure your are fine!.........if it would of been on an orbital sander or somthing like that then mabe so! but I think your ok! Like firebirdjones said just blow all trash out,use cometic gaskets & should bee fine!!
    Ok I am trying not to panic lol. Im not gonna lie I did not sleep much last night :/ The gasket that came with my kit is the GM Multi Layer Steel. Is this not a good option for me? Thanks for everyones help in my time of me being a dumbass.

  13. #73
    Member xmarkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    EAST bay area Cali
    Posts
    634

    black
    1999 camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    Ok I am trying not to panic lol. Im not gonna lie I did not sleep much last night :/ The gasket that came with my kit is the GM Multi Layer Steel. Is this not a good option for me? Thanks for everyones help in my time of me being a dumbass.
    mls gaskets are good.

  14. #74
    Senior Member splitfinger09's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,264

    Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    mls gaskets are good.
    what makes the cometic different? Does it seal any better?

  15. #75
    Senior Member splitfinger09's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,264

    Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

    Heads are here!




  16. #76
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    Heads are here!

    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size


    those are awesome

  17. #77
    Member Jay37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    St Marys GA
    Posts
    238

    Black
    '05 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    Ok so is there really a way that I could tell if I did any damage (it was a sanding block to btw not just paper)? What would the fix be? If I reassemble it and there was damage done, how could I tell? As far as the cleaning goes I will make sure its spotless. I know im a dumbass but thank you for your help...
    I think we have all been there lol. I also think your fine bro. In my experiance, I have worked with a number of profesional mechanics that to save time when changing head gaskets, instead of sitting there with a razor, clean the deck off with an ABRASIVE disc on a dremel tool. I wouldn't do it, or recommend that anyone does it, but the cars never had a problem, and these guys have made a living there whole life doing this type of stuff.


    I agree with firebird jones and transdad. If you wanted to be 100% sure though, you could check your deck flatness, It will give you closure too! Wether you sanded on it or not. It is something most engine builders always do on a engine with tighter clearances. To do it get a machinist strait edge, and a feeler gauge. lay the strait edge on the block, (and this will take patience to do it right) and while moving the strait edge around see if at ANY part of the deck surface, you can get a 0.003" feeler gauge under the strait edge. That is the LS1 maximum deck warpage specification. If you get that one under, It just means your at your max, if you can get a 0.004" under it then you are out of spec. I always have somebody else check it too, if the measurement I come up with is out of spec. just to make sure it really is out of spec. Worst case scenario... you have to get your deck resurfaced. Hope that helps.
    If you put it together, and that turned out to be a problem. The most likely thing would be a blown head gasket, because at the "low" area there wouldn't be enought seating pressure on the gasket. You would either have 1. a dead cylinder 2. oil leaking into coolant 3. coolant leaking into combustion chamber.
    Last edited by Jay37; 11-17-2010 at 08:38 PM.

  18. #78
    Junior Member incbed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    49

    Black
    2000 Z28 M6 Y3F

    I think you will be fine since you used your hand and not a power tool.

    This may have been mentioned already ,,but make sure the head bolt holes don't have any fluid or trash in them before bolting the heads down.

    And don't freak out when you read how to torque the heads down.

  19. #79
    Senior Member splitfinger09's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,264

    Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay37 View Post
    I think we have all been there lol. I also think your fine bro. In my experiance, I have worked with a number of profesional mechanics that to save time when changing head gaskets, instead of sitting there with a razor, clean the deck off with an ABRASIVE disc on a dremel tool. I wouldn't do it, or recommend that anyone does it, but the cars never had a problem, and these guys have made a living there whole life doing this type of stuff.

    I agree with firebird jones and transdad. If you wanted to be 100% sure though, you could check your deck flatness, It will give you closure too! Wether you sanded on it or not. It is something most engine builders always do on a engine with tighter clearances. To do it get a machinist strait edge, and a feeler gauge. lay the strait edge on the block, (and this will take patience to do it right) and while moving the strait edge around see if at ANY part of the deck surface, you can get a 0.003" feeler gauge under the strait edge. That is the LS1 maximum deck warpage specification. If you get that one under, It just means your at your max, if you can get a 0.004" under it then you are out of spec. I always have somebody else check it too, if the measurement I come up with is out of spec. just to make sure it really is out of spec. Worst case scenario... you have to get your deck resurfaced. Hope that helps.
    If you put it together, and that turned out to be a problem. The most likely thing would be a blown head gasket, because at the "low" area there wouldn't be enought seating pressure on the gasket. You would either have 1. a dead cylinder 2. oil leaking into coolant 3. coolant leaking into combustion chamber.
    I found a feeler gauge at sears, but not sure where I can find a strait edge? Also say that I did mess it up and put it all back together. Would it be FUBAR or could I fix it at that point? How do I clean the tops of the pistons? Are the MLS gaskets ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by incbed View Post
    I think you will be fine since you used your hand and not a power tool.

    This may have been mentioned already ,,but make sure the head bolt holes don't have any fluid or trash in them before bolting the heads down.

    And don't freak out when you read how to torque the heads down.
    God I hope so!!! Is the torque sequence on LS1 How To still correct for ARP bolts?
    Last edited by splitfinger09; 11-18-2010 at 12:51 PM.

  20. #80
    Member Jay37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    St Marys GA
    Posts
    238

    Black
    '05 GTO

    For a strait edge, because of your time situation, maybe one of your local machine shops will borrow you one? Other wise you would probably have to order it. (northernautoparts.com/ProductDetail.cfm?ProductId=3756) Its pricey, 80$ IMO not worth it for a do it your selfer. Just keep it clean, like the guys said shopvac, I would wipe it down with ATF after, then assemble.

    I have to give it to you man, impressive to hear that your undertaking all this for the first time by yourself, seems to me like your doing great. Just pay attention and follow the BOOK!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: Cam and Head Install
    By 1slowbusa in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-20-2011, 01:30 PM
  2. Stock Head Unit System or install custom head unit?
    By ibh182 in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-16-2007, 10:43 AM
  3. need some help after Head and Cam install
    By cm2papa in forum General Help
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-11-2007, 11:59 AM
  4. head and cam install
    By waldo31031 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2006, 03:03 PM
  5. head and cam install
    By waldo31031 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2006, 06:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •