Thread: My Cam

Silver
    1999 Camaro

My Cam

Im wondering what cam to go with. My current cam is a Lunati 222/230/114LSA, with Stage II Agostino Racing Heads. Only 417rwhp. I get compliments on the way my cam sounds. Problem is.... I hear on other blogs LS1's are getting (450rwhp) with cam ONLY!!! and other minor bolt ons!! Is this possible, if so what cam is it? I want more THUMP in the Cam. What suggestions do you have. I LOVE the sound of a good cam, but who don't? Thanks in Advance for the help

* Advertised Duration IN/EX: 287/298
    * Duration @.050 IN/EX: 222/230
    * Gross Valve Lift IN/EX: .534"/.544"
    * Lobe Sep Angle / Intake Ctr Line: 114/110
    * Valve Lash IN/EX: Hyd/Hyd
    * RPM Range: 2500-6000
    Last edited by tbirdsc44; 05-31-2006 at 07:25 PM.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

it depends on what car it is going into, a daily driven car you may not want to put a very large cam in to make a lot of 'cam only' hp.

you could definately make some more power out of your car beings you have heads as well. what other bolt ons do you have? to make the most out of it a lot of people run the fast 90 setup with matching TB, underdrive pulley etc.

also, is your car an a4 or m6?

Silver
    1999 Camaro

I have an M6, with LS6 intake, 90tb, K & N FIPK II air filter, 4:10 rear end. Also, not a daily driver. Just really take to shows or cruise every once in a while.....thanks for the help

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

its rather rare to get a cam only car close to 450.
    its going to be totally unstreetable.
    if you want more thump, get a lower lsa.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Silver
    1999 Camaro

I have been told wrong info then......I was always told 114LSA was suppose to be the "Good Thump" Cam. The 112, 110 cams were a smoother idle. Im just looking for a pretty radical cam, for a weekend show cruiser, occasional track use aswell.. Anybody know of a cam Im trying to describe? Thanks

black

black

i have a 114 lsa and while it does have cackle to it, its not bad.
    anything lower will have a nice thump to it.

Quote Originally Posted by tbirdsc44
    Im wondering what cam to go with. My current cam is a Lunati 222/230/114LSA, with Stage II Agostino Racing Heads. Only 417rwhp.
    That's a decent grind, I would simply work with what you already have in there. Who did you're tuning?

Silver
    1999 Camaro

Agostino Racing Actually Dyno tuned it, they used LS1 Edit. Thats when I got my 417rwhp. But then last summer, I went to Camaro SuperFest and there was a portable dyno, said only 389hp, it was also a nice cool morning(60 degrees)....But then again how accurate are portable dyno's!! Just seems like I should be making a little more power for all that money.

Quote Originally Posted by tbirdsc44
    I was always told 114LSA was suppose to be the "Good Thump" Cam. The 112, 110 cams were a smoother idle

When you base this on the "commercial" grinds, this is normally the case. But when you delve into more custom tailored camshafts, there are way too many variables to consider (in reference to the change in tuning, lobe, lift, duration), you wouldn't be able to tell a 114-LSA from a 110 in some cases.

It's all in the symmetry...

gen3performance

yellow
    2000 corvette

i am just learning about camshaft too but isnt the lift on this cam kinda low?i've noticed most people making in the 450rwhp range are using somewhere around 590-605 lift.i dont mean to but in but this is good info that i need too.how much duration can you run on the stock bottom end without having to fly cut the pistons?

Quote Originally Posted by gen3performance
    i am just learning about camshaft too but isnt the lift on this cam kinda low? i've noticed most people making in the 450rwhp range are using somewhere around 590-605 lift.
    Remember, it's all a balancing act. That lift range is very common, but you'd want to take it easy on duration then. Compression, cubic inches, air flow rate... all play key roles when determining a cam's duration, and where and when (and for how long) you want that power to occur.

Quote Originally Posted by gen3performance
    i dont mean to but in but this is good info that i need too.how much duration can you run on the stock bottom end without having to fly cut the pistons?
    Why would you want to run that much duration in the first place though? What are you're goals with the engine? People see the duration numbers on the T-Rex and get excited, but then their jaws drop when a much smaller grind of 224/228 takes it out on the street. For me, it's all about power under the curve, w/complete streetablity.

Don't get me wrong, you can get an engine to idle very well with a cam in the mid to high 23x range, but it's a waste of time in my opinion. You're catering to the cam, when everything, the entire valvetrain, should be working in harmony. Symmetry!

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

So are your overall goals peak power or useable power? Right now Im running the f13 112 (230/232) not too sure what the lift is, but Im thinking of going with a 228/228 110 +0 to increase my lowend power and still maintain a decent topend performer. I had a f10 before and think I should've just kept it If you just want a big cam, then go with a trex, g5x4 or the ms4...those are all big dogs and will produce peak numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by ninobrn99
    Right now Im running the f13 112 (230/232) not too sure what the lift is, but Im thinking of going with a 228/228 110 +0 to increase my lowend power and still maintain a decent topend performer.
    The lift for the F13 is 595"/585". For that 228/228 grind that you're considering, how much lift do you plan on going with?

Quote Originally Posted by ninobrn99
    I had a f10 before and think I should've just kept it If you just want a big cam, then go with a trex, g5x4 or the ms4...those are all big dogs and will produce peak numbers.
    Better off you didn't. Although the F10 shares the 228/228 duration you want, with the 110+0 LSA that you're planning, IMO, you'll want more lift than the F10's 576"/576"...

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

the lift will certainly be more than the f10 it'll be .600 + on either end. my overall goal is to get a better dcr and low end tq.

Thread Information