Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

My Build Thread!

This is a discussion on My Build Thread! within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by tep98ws6 my rear o2's are nonexistant, they're sims. so when i put gas in, should i do ...

NASCAR Go Fast, Turn Left ntimid8r's Avatar

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post
    my rear o2's are nonexistant, they're sims. so when i put gas in, should i do premium and octane booster or what? we have 93 octane for premium then the next thing around here is race fuel and i don't think i should be running that for my application considering it's leaded gasoline.

the knocks are def going back in, just not this second until i have everything all in order.
    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    octane boosters are mostly a gimmick
    Yes, octane boosters are gimmicks. Although there is one brand out there that's the real deal, torco I think is it but I don't recall.

TEP...they make unleaded race fuel. Another option is to run methanol injection. That's what I use for my procharger setup and is very good for it's cooling affects to intake temperatures. This is also a bit cheaper than running race fuel all the time, especially on a DD. But don't get me started on trying to run a excessively built motor for the street everyday.

hugger orange

when octane boosters say theywill rasie it 2 points, they really mean you are going from 93 to 93.2 octane, not 93 to 95

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    when octane boosters say theywill rasie it 2 points, they really mean you are going from 93 to 93.2 octane, not 93 to 95
    I tend to think it's more like .002 but that's just me.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    Yes, octane boosters are gimmicks. Although there is one brand out there that's the real deal, torco I think is it but I don't recall.

TEP...they make unleaded race fuel. Another option is to run methanol injection. That's what I use for my procharger setup and is very good for it's cooling affects to intake temperatures. This is also a bit cheaper than running race fuel all the time, especially on a DD. But don't get me started on trying to run a excessively built motor for the street everyday.
    Why not it's built to run Isn't meth a little overkill for a h/c/i street car...???

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    Why not it's built to run Isn't meth a little overkill for a h/c/i street car...???
    Meth can provide goodness on any application. It's better suited for FI but certainly helps h/c/i too!

Here's a link to an article that sums it all up rather quickly. http://www.superstreetonline.com/tec...kit/index.html

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    Meth can provide goodness on any application. It's better suited for FI but certainly helps h/c/i too!

Here's a link to an article that sums it all up rather quickly. http://www.superstreetonline.com/tec...kit/index.html
    Goodness lol

So this would even be good on a stock or bolt on application as well. I understand why meth is a good thing for boost I just thought it wasnt widely used in n/a applications obviously because you're not going to see huge power gains or major tuning advantages from it(unless you have knock issues). I actually am throwing a knock code right now thought it was just from a bad 02 (cause it was throwing that too) and the knock code is still there...garrrrr

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Well problems. Went to drive it home and now I have ZERO compression. Turns out, my pushrods are too long bu I have some stockers to hold me over til my chromolys come in bu I ad to have it towed home so that it's not locked in school for a month unattended. Sad day. No biggy though. I bled my brakes/clutch and put dextron in it so just need to swap the rods and hopefully I can do that tomorrow while BF does his tune up

I know they make unleaded race fuel but there is none within 25mi of my house ... Hmmm

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Also, no idea how or why it started yesterday. I guess it was all oiled up from assembly and it allowed some squeaking by... But I felt as if it ddnt sound right last night so hopefully this will fix everything

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Well problems. Went to drive it home and now I have ZERO compression. Turns out, my pushrods are too long bu I have some stockers to hold me over til my chromolys come in bu I ad to have it towed home so that it's not locked in school for a month unattended. Sad day. No biggy though. I bled my brakes/clutch and put dextron in it so just need to swap the rods and hopefully I can do that tomorrow while BF does his tune up

I know they make unleaded race fuel but there is none within 25mi of my house ... Hmmm
    Pushrod's too long huh? Sounds like someone got into a rush.

Well, get the good thing is....nothing "bad" happened. Would've been nice to do it which the motor out but oh well...shtuff happens.

I think if you eliminate any potential rattling near the motor you shouldn't have issue with getting knock (or false knock). Try buying some Torco octane booster in the mean time and see if that helps. It's just ill advised to tune out the knock sensors all together is the main problem. But good luck as you're almost there!!!

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Also, no idea how or why it started yesterday. I guess it was all oiled up from assembly and it allowed some squeaking by... But I felt as if it ddnt sound right last night so hopefully this will fix everything
    This post has KY Jelly written all over it but I'll refrain......

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

No rushing at all since I spent at least a month and a half planning, measuring, ordering... I just did my base circle math wrong it never was a strong point of mine. If it stops snowing, I'll fix her tomorrow.

hugger orange

No rushing at all since I spent at least a month and a half planning, measuring, ordering... I just did my base circle math wrong it never was a strong point of mine. If it stops snowing, I'll fix her tomorrow.
    still snowing here too, a foot of snow on the ground and I was stuck in the same spot on the highway from 7pm till 3am.......now dispatch wants me to sit here and wait till this place decides to oprn and start letting people in

Red
    2001 Trash Can

so you tried to figure out pushrod length by doing math off of the cam lobes? Damn, I suck at math so I have to use an adjustable pushrod length checker and check preload when installing them...at least its a pretty easy fix should be able t pull those valve covers and rocker assemblies off and drop in new pushrods in like an hour. Good luck!

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    so you tried to figure out pushrod length by doing math off of the cam lobes? Damn, I suck at math so I have to use an adjustable pushrod length checker and check preload when installing them...at least its a pretty easy fix should be able t pull those valve covers and rocker assemblies off and drop in new pushrods in like an hour. Good luck!
    yessir! but i failed at that so i won't be trying that again ... i'm gonna throw stocker ones in from the z28 we built at school (which is, by the way, so bad ass since we finished that on thursday also) but i'll get some chromoly ones when i can get them thru school but stockers should work for that long. thank you, btw, it should only take an hour ... give or take so i don't get my intake dirty

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

it should only take an hour ... give or take so i don't get my intake dirty
    Gotta keep it clean
    Can only imaging working on a car with a white intake

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

at least she's pretty

i love having a best friend that drives a tow truck

so sad

back at home, hopefully to be started tomorrow and my other SS turd

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

That white intake looks sharp!! I was waiting for you to post a pic of the engine bay

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    That white intake looks sharp!! I was waiting for you to post a pic of the engine bay
    it's COVERED in fingerprints. it's gonna get so disgusting but eh, its love. haha

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

it's COVERED in fingerprints. it's gonna get so disgusting but eh, its love. haha
    Thats different how you didn't paint the very front of it where the throttle body mounts up
    Dont think the pics do the valve covers any justice either, sure they stand out more in person

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

your lid is to far forward thats why it is rubbing the hood. get the front of it in the base and it wont do that. i had the same thing happen to me.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread Information