Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

My Build Thread!

This is a discussion on My Build Thread! within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by mark21742 you know as soon as you put the new ones in, you will find the missing ...

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    you know as soon as you put the new ones in, you will find the missing ones
    oh i know it. and i'll probably be mad, haha.

yesterday, i went over and did some work after i got off at 1 ... so i had three hours to work - worked in my connecting rod bolts (torque to 45 3x & loosen 3x) before install and got my pistons in the block. it's smooth sailing until i get to my timing chain ... it's a double roller so it'll have some clearance issues w/ the oil pump and front cover but nothin i can't figure out

still on schedule to be done late wednesday/early thursday. i see staying at school til midnight on thursday in my future.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post

yesterday, i went over and did some work after i got off at 1 ... so i had three hours to work - worked in my connecting rod bolts (torque to 45 3x & loosen 3x) before install and got my pistons in the block. it's smooth sailing until i get to my timing chain ... it's a double roller so it'll have some clearance issues w/ the oil pump and front cover but nothin i can't figure out

still on schedule to be done late wednesday/early thursday. i see staying at school til midnight on thursday in my future.
    put your front cover on WITHOUT the gasket....grind where the oil pump bolts hit till the cover fits....then put the gasket in....this will makesure you have good clearance on the cover.

if it makes you feel better I lost a valve lock....got lucky and my friend Bill have extras.

my bottom end is back together and the K member/ front suspension is back in.....getting ready to bolt the motor moubts back in, then time for thw heads to go back on!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

if you dont mind me asking ..why double roller ?

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    if you dont mind me asking ..why double roller ?
    honestly, i originally ordered the LS2 timing chain. the automotive dept head does all the parts ordering and he ordered me the double roller adjustable one instead - his reasoning? "it's cheaper, better and cooler" ... he's a dork so really, it's not the one i ordered but whatever he says will work for me i suppose haah

PS - i ordered headers .. just the ebay's but headers none the less. i won't be able to put them on but that gives me time to get them ceramic coated and maybe talk my dad into installing them for me while i'm gimpy ... he loves driving it anyways so make him work for it haha i do still need a Y-pipe though.

98' trans am

honestly, i originally ordered the LS2 timing chain. the automotive dept head does all the parts ordering and he ordered me the double roller adjustable one instead - his reasoning? "it's cheaper, better and cooler" ... he's a dork so really, it's not the one i ordered but whatever he says will work for me i suppose haah

PS - i ordered headers .. just the ebay's but headers none the less. i won't be able to put them on but that gives me time to get them ceramic coated and maybe talk my dad into installing them for me while i'm gimpy ... he loves driving it anyways so make him work for it haha i do still need a Y-pipe though.
    yea the guy is a dork ...caused you more work for nothing.

also good call on the headers..you motor will thank you

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

yea the guy is a dork ...caused you more work for nothing.

also good call on the headers..you motor will thank you
    it won't thank me until after it's been driven for five days on stock mani's ... i'm so retardedly excited to finish it. i'll be sure to take some video of it and share it. it's just gonna suck finishing this badass car and then have it sit in the driveway for two months

98' trans am

i forgot to ask..when is a rear end assembly going onto that car ? because you might not be driving it for longer then 2 months

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

i forgot to ask..when is a rear end assembly going onto that car ? because you might not be driving it for longer then 2 months
    it'll probably go in sometime in march pretty much whenever tax returns come in

hugger orange

I just put my front timing cover back on yesturday morning, over the adjustable timing gears and double roller chain.
    the oil pump gets shimed out to clear the wider chain and I'm running a Melling high volume oil pump.

the cover will not seal without some grinding on th back side.

I rubbed some red assembly lube on the oil pump bolts and on the pump itself where the front seal is.......without the gasket, set the cover in place then slide it back out and the lube will show you where you have to grind.
    you can't get the cover to sit flush without the gasket, so use a nice amount of black RTV on both sides of the gasket.

oh by the way, if it makes you feel better I lost 1 of my push rods somewhere in the garage this weekend lol

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

I just put my front timing cover back on yesturday morning, over the adjustable timing gears and double roller chain.
    the oil pump gets shimed out to clear the wider chain and I'm running a Melling high volume oil pump.

the cover will not seal without some grinding on th back side.

I rubbed some red assembly lube on the oil pump bolts and on the pump itself where the front seal is.......without the gasket, set the cover in place then slide it back out and the lube will show you where you have to grind.
    you can't get the cover to sit flush without the gasket, so use a nice amount of black RTV on both sides of the gasket.

oh by the way, if it makes you feel better I lost 1 of my push rods somewhere in the garage this weekend lol

thanks for the oil pump info, i'm doing that part tonight... good idea with the oil. i'm running the melling LS6 oil pump then i ported it myself.
    haha i'm sorry, i lost two exhaust valves somewhere. i'll probably find them next week sometime.

i still have to get an oil pan gasket, valley cover gasket, valve cover gaskets and an oil psi sensor along with tranny & clutch fluid. but my flywheel did come in saturday morning

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

you didn't get the stainless steel ones?
    summit still has the pacesetter y. fits great too.

hugger orange

thanks for the oil pump info, i'm doing that part tonight... good idea with the oil. i'm running the melling LS6 oil pump then i ported it myself.
    haha i'm sorry, i lost two exhaust valves somewhere. i'll probably find them next week sometime.

i still have to get an oil pan gasket, valley cover gasket, valve cover gaskets and an oil psi sensor along with tranny & clutch fluid. but my flywheel did come in saturday morning
    yeah I remembered you saying you lost afew valves, I thought of you when I came up 1 pushrod short lol.
    with my ADHD I probably picked it up, walked to the other side of the garage to do something else then laid other things on it lol

if your Melling pump is like mine it will hit on the 4 pump mounting bolts and the cover front seal.

if you still have them, just reuse your old gaskets...it will save you a ton of money, just use a light coat of RTV......the only gaskets I've replaced are the head gaskets

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

if you still have them, just reuse your old gaskets...it will save you a ton of money, just use a light coat of RTV......the only gaskets I've replaced are the head gaskets

good idea. i do still need valve cover gaskets though .. but those won't be anything

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

good idea. i do still need valve cover gaskets though .. but those won't be anything
    What Ebay's did you get?

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    What Ebay's did you get?
    option racing. fieropope has them on his car and he used to park next to me at school until he got the boot ( sorry) but his sound pretty awesome for his car to be pretty stock. i heard they change colors pretty quick which is why i wanted to ceramic coat them, just for a teeny bit of protection, but they won't go on for awhile (unfortunately) but that gives me time to get them coated and get a Y pipe

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Your gonna have to get that retuned for long tubes but I guess you already know that...? Very nice rebuild I wish I had the facilities to do that... I wish I could find a girl that likes workin on cars...do you have a sister

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    Your gonna have to get that retuned for long tubes but I guess you already know that...? Very nice rebuild I wish I had the facilities to do that... I wish I could find a girl that likes workin on cars...do you have a sister
    About the 3rd time this has been asked today

Were you able to get into school so you could work on your car tonight?

hugger orange

I just got introuble today for spending too much time in the garage and not enough with her

did you find new valves? prices and delays?

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    About the 3rd time this has been asked today

Were you able to get into school so you could work on your car tonight?
    Just skimmed through, sorry haha

I just got introuble today for spending too much time in the garage and not enough with her

did you find new valves? prices and delays?
    Shit, I would take a garage and just go escape from the lady Imagine havin a girl that liked workin on cars...

You: "you're pissin me off I'm goin to blow off some steam!"
    Her: "where ya goin?"
    You: "to work on my car damnit"
    Her: "Oooooooooo I'll come too!!! We can start tearin the motor down!!!"
    You: FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU (insert awesome face from that thread)

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

I do my own dyno tuning

yes J, I eventually got in but the time lost has got to be made up tomorrow ... 5-? I talked my instructor into degreeing my cam while I'm at work haha. Tomorrow I should have the engine done to go back in on Wednesday. I came in to find my rear gaskets and valve seals missing

by my timing gears are pretty. They're real neat

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information