Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Ms4 cam

This is a discussion on Ms4 cam within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; so could i run a magic stick 4 cam with my 98 z28s stock heads and a vigilante 3000 stall...

Sebring Silver Metallic
    1998 Camaro Z28

so could i run a magic stick 4 cam with my 98 z28s stock heads and a vigilante 3000 stall

Red
    00 Z28

^^i would say you could but go bigger with the stall im running a 3600 and its fine, my gears suck but its still streetable

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyLS1 View Post
    so could i run a magic stick 4 cam with my 98 z28s stock heads and a vigilante 3000 stall
    Yank recommends a stall 5-700 RPMS lowers than your peak TQ, which would be a lot higher than 3000.

4000 or go home

I had a ms4 in my car, I could drive it just fine but a/c stopped working with pedal to the floor

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by wenn_du_weinst View Post
    I had a ms4 in my car, I could drive it just fine but a/c stopped working with pedal to the floor
    You know thats normal, right?

215 heads,ms4cam,102 fast 2000ls1tranz's Avatar

White
    2000 trans am

u can run the ms4 just fine with stock heads ..change the springs..some heads an 410-430 gears really would make it shine

White
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by PFM View Post
    Never had any surging problems with mine and I drive it everyday to work that it isn't raining. But that problems more of a MT in the rain than a MS4 in a daily driver. I think the MS4 is more street friendly in an A4 car than it is in a M6. But the people I see surging have never met my tuner. I even ran my car with 2.73s in it for 6 months with no troubles.
    i heard its the other way around better with a m6 but idk either why i have a m6 an it drives awesome an never really have a problem with surging either just was sayin it ralrly does it a tiny bit never at a stand still tho ..

Sebring Silver Metallic
    1998 Camaro Z28

mine hasn't had a/c since i got it so that aint gonna bother me...lol...what model camaro are you running the ms4 in

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

First of all, I'm not bashing the MS4 being put into a street car by any means, just still looking to really gather info. I've gone ahead and thrown all other cam choices out the window and am stuck between the MS3 and MS4 myself. Seems to me that the MS3 has a better torque table than the MS4, however the MS4 peaks more power. Looking for input on this.

Also, I'm not seeing anybody having problems with PTV clearance with MS4s like a few TRex owners have... everything is good in that regard?

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    You know thats normal, right?
    nope cam with cam in it, figured it was just another problem with it. didn't really bother me
    all I know is my 98 cobra didn't have that problem

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

nope cam with cam in it, figured it was just another problem with it. didn't really bother me
    all I know is my 98 cobra didn't have that problem
    sweeeeeeeeet

White
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    First of all, I'm not bashing the MS4 being put into a street car by any means, just still looking to really gather info. I've gone ahead and thrown all other cam choices out the window and am stuck between the MS3 and MS4 myself. Seems to me that the MS3 has a better torque table than the MS4, however the MS4 peaks more power. Looking for input on this.

Also, I'm not seeing anybody having problems with PTV clearance with MS4s like a few TRex owners have... everything is good in that regard?
    the ms4 is a better cam then the ms3.. seen 2 of my buddys race an it decide it for me...lol there also races on streetfire.net an youtube u can check out ..

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Oh I've listened to any and all LS1 cams on youtube, ls1sounds, all of that

Just curious as to how the dynographs compare to one another really. The MS4 is supposed to make more peak power, but how soon does it develop it compared to the MS3, and I take it nobody has had any PTV clearance issues with the MS4?

Not trying to threadjack but it may shed some new light on the OP's decision-making should he be torn between getting the MS4 or not

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2000ls1tranz View Post
    the ms4 is a better cam then the ms3.. seen 2 of my buddys race an it decide it for me...lol there also races on streetfire.net an youtube u can check out ..
    I have also seen cars that are cam only with a 228R beat an MS4 cam only car.

It all depends on the set-up and what the owner is willing to put up with.

White
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post

It all depends on the set-up and what the owner is willing to put up with.
    was the 228r cam only? if so dont forget to factor in driver mod..lol

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2000ls1tranz View Post
    was the 228r cam only? if so dont forget to factor in driver mod..lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Very true about the driver mod though.
    Although I have seen it from a roll. Basically the MS4 car REALLY needed gears...but again, all in the set-up.

And to be clear, I am not dissing the MS3/MS4 grinds. They are great....in certain situations.

White
    2000 trans am

The ms4 cam is a damn good cam but it not till the ms4 get a good set of heads an GEARS 410-430 does it truly SHINE those 2 things will make the world of differents..

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    tech at TR told me as long as your heads aren't milled and your using 7.425 rods with apropriate springs than there is no PTV clearance issues. people build their motors without doing their homework and then wonder why it doesn't work out......

MS3 should clear fine.

MS4 and TRex are about as tight as you can get. They have less than the recommended clearance, but as long as you're careful, you should be OK. I've seen a MS4 car with an otherwise stock longblock that had VERY slight eyebrows on the pistons when the heads were pulled for replacement. It still ran fine before the heads were pulled, and the valves didn't show any bending.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

4.10/4.30 for automatic cars?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information