MS3 and PRC 5.3l heads install

This is a discussion on MS3 and PRC 5.3l heads install within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i installed MS3 and stage 2.5 5.3l heads (with necessary upgrades)LT, ORY . my questions when i start the car ...

silver
    2002 Camaro

MS3 and PRC 5.3l heads install

i installed MS3 and stage 2.5 5.3l heads (with necessary upgrades)LT, ORY . my questions when i start the car i get a white smoke from the exhaust and it is quite a potent smell. my other question is the car wont idle worth a damn it has been tuned twice by Texas Speed and it wont idle right ive checked for vacuum leaks. replaced the PCV valve hose, IAC and it wont drop rpms when i push in the clutch only when i come to a complete stop. any suggestions?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

*cough* Dyno Tune *cough*

White
    1998 Trans Am

I guess you don't have your own tuning software ? ( HP Tuners )
    Sounds like you're dumping way to much fuel... Guess TP still uses LS1 Edit for tuning. Sure you gave them the correct injector size ?

silver
    2002 Camaro

yeah i told them they were the stock ones still on there

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

White smoke??? not so good... sounds like a head gasket to me.... did you tighten the head bolts from the inside out?? I recommend doing them in 2 or 3 different stages to reach the torque spec... and also check your oil and coolant make sure there's no coolant in the oil (oil will look like chocolate milk) or oil in the coolant. If all that's ok I'd take it to get a Dyno tune... mail order tunes can be good but IMO when they actually have the car there, they can tune it better. Just my .02

2000 Camaro SS, M6, Edelbrock LT's, Eibach Pro-Kit, Edelbrock Adjustable Coil-Overs
    1986 Camaro Iroc LS1 Swap In Progress

Blue Magic...
    Like Pepsi It's A Brand Name...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by tcamaro98 View Post
    i installed MS3 and stage 2.5 5.3l heads (with necessary upgrades)LT, ORY . my questions when i start the car i get a white smoke from the exhaust and it is quite a potent smell. my other question is the car wont idle worth a damn it has been tuned twice by Texas Speed and it wont idle right ive checked for vacuum leaks. replaced the PCV valve hose, IAC and it wont drop rpms when i push in the clutch only when i come to a complete stop. any suggestions?
    Describe your idle problem? Does is sort of "hang" at a high idle and then slowly come down?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Describe your idle problem? Does is sort of "hang" at a high idle and then slowly come down?
    mine does that what is it?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    mine does that what is it?
    Well, depending on what has been done to your car, a previous owner probably drilled a hole in your Throttle Body Blade(butterfly valve) to increase air at idle for a large cam.

Take your intake tubing off going to you TB so you can see the blade. If it has a hole drilled in it, Suspect that is your problem. I gain 2 MPG when I did my FAST 92 INTAKE and PTM 92 TB install!!!

If that is your problem, start looking for aftermarket TB's. Hopefully that helps.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Well, depending on what has been done to your car, a previous owner probably drilled a hole in your Throttle Body Blade(butterfly valve) to increase air at idle for a large cam.

Take your intake tubing off going to you TB so you can see the blade. If it has a hole drilled in it, Suspect that is your problem. I gain 2 MPG when I did my FAST 92 INTAKE and PTM 92 TB install!!!

If that is your problem, start looking for aftermarket TB's. Hopefully that helps.
    wow I recall seing that hole on it, I bought my ls6 with a tb that just so happens to have a little screw sized hole in it, the thing is that I ported the throttle body, so couldn't I just seal it up? Thanks for the answer, my car is strictly a bolt-on car I was wondering if the guy who tuned it did a shitty job even though he gets good reviews, glad the problem is an easy fix.

silver
    2002 Camaro

my car idles weird like when i start it in the morning it will idle fine but any time i turn it off after that then it will idlle at like 1500 rpms and then it will act as if the cruise control is set and when i push the clutch in it will rev to like 2000rpm then come down to 1500 and jus stay there and my brakes are really stiff like the pedal doesnt move very much

Red
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

O wow, there’s not supposed to be any holes in the TB? I know for a fact mine has one and its all stock (as far as I know). This could explain my weird hanging idle / lack of power until WOT!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

No, there should probably be a very small hole in the blade itself. The problem is when it is drilled out larger than stock. Here is a pic of my brand new 92mm PTW TB.

Here they are side by side,

Dont quote me on it, but im 90% sure the stock TB has a small hole drilled in it from the factory. But if it is this large, I would definitely try and swap out a TB and see what it does. It might just help you out and save you some MPG.

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

stock injectors in that setup???????i changed mine and I dont have any problems.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

stockers work fine for me right now.

Thread Information