Black
    2002 Pontiac

Is the MS3 to much for a DD cam?

As the question states, would, if I ran 1 7/8" headers with full catback, Intake, Intake manifold and tune(valvetrain of course) be to aggresive of a cam to run daily?

Needs are really nothing but a nice power increase with a nice lopey idle. That's it!

Of course I will always take into consideration about where the power goes but specifically looking to get a nice lopey idle.

Thank you all for any help and or advice!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Sounds like you're more concerned about how it sounds than anything else?
    Last edited by 35th-ANV-SS; 10-28-2014 at 01:52 AM.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

^^ What 35th-ANV-SS said. The sound you are looking for can be had with many choices out there nowadays. Alot of cam manufactures make really nice cams that will work for a DD. This is just my personal experience and preference, but I have found that a cam with a 112 LSA seems to be a decent everyday cam with nice power numbers and loppy sound. Again just my opinion and there are other factors to look at. I love the cam in my sig, not the best choice for a blown application, but it was what I wanted.
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

Black
    2002 Pontiac

I like how you changed your message lol. Shoulda left it.

Yes. I want the sound and do not care the power it makes ad long as it doesn't create problems. Power is a given with a cam upgrade. But I specifically listened to all the cams and liked how the seperation was on the MS3. I wanted opinions on that cam specifically unless you can think of something else similar that would also have that idle.

Red
    99 Z28

The sound does NOT come from the lsa it comes from the degree of cam overlap. If you like the sound of the ms3, figure out its overlap and then find a better cam that fits your needs with the same overlap and it will sound the same whether it's on a 110 or a 115.

Red
    99 Z28

Ms3 was like my ms4 all power was up top and lacked torque, would it be ideal for a dd? No, but it wouldn't be the worst idea either. If your auto get a stall to compliment it and supporting mods, gears, and good tune and it will be fine, just won't be as fun as a small cam on the street where the power will come in faster

Black
    2002 Pontiac

Sorry for misinformation from what I meant. Separation like the actual lope in the idle not actual cam term. And this is why I am asking you all!!! lol I need the advice. Thank you all for taking the time to read and reply.

The car is a M6, not an auto. I do understand the car will not have "performance" first in mind. It's an I love the noise but not drive it like I stole it(or meant to be driven) depending on your philosophy. I don't track the car, will never race it(spirited driving maybe). Want it to look and sound nice without going to the point of swapping heads and motor just yet until I really want to build the car years down the road. It has 44k miles on it and just would love the car to come alive. Maybe 420-435whp roughly 400 trq. Thank you all again for taking the time to help!

Red
    99 Z28

Ms3 will make the hp but not the torque. Look around at cams with similar overlap. I like the futural cams that make great power and torque and have a good lope.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

How streetable a camshaft is will vary from person to person. Many would find the Magic Stick 3 streetable while some would not like it. A lot of its manners will depend greatly on how good your tuner is. With that said, some people have an MS4 cam for their daily driver.

I'd personally start reading up and doing research on camshafts. Learn how they work and what each feature does if you don't know. Look at the power/torque curves for different cams.

Numerous camshafts are popular; FM, TSP, MS, etc. A lot of people use a 228R on a 112 LSA. All depends on what you want really. You can even get a custom grind.

Red
    99 Z28

Great info ^

Thread Information