Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Motor Research!

This is a discussion on Motor Research! within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by mark21742 thats the time to drop in a 400ci+ stroker my thinking exactly!...

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    thats the time to drop in a 400ci+ stroker
    my thinking exactly!

02 SS
    LQ9 408 Stroker ,M6 1LE, LT's, ORY, GMMG, STG2 LS6 heads,248/254 .612/.622, Tubular LCA's, Panhard, torque arm, tranny cross-member, upper and lower a-arms, k-member, 3 point SFC's, Baer 6 pistons up-front, stock rear , Adj. coil-overs,
    12.6@120MPH

81 Celica
    18.1 @ 85MPH

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

I dont think you realize that you can still have a very nice choppy idle with a turbo. Ive seen plenty of turbo grinds that still chop a lot. And it only adds to the sweetness when you rev it up and start hear that turbo.. mmmm. Search for vids there are plenty that ive watched where i didnt know it was turbo till they got on it and it spooled. Boost is gonna be your best bet to 9's but hey more power to ya if you wanna do it NA

red
    1998 Z28

i would love to do it N/A but im realizing that its much more ethical to go turbo but no one has answered my question yet as too what is needed to make an lq9 work in my car?

Will i need a new pcm, wiring harnes, anything?... or is it completely direct?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

No, your PCM will work fine. Your wire harness will also work. Basically, all you need to do is drill and tap a hole for the alternator bracket. There might be a few other things, but it all carries over man. Its a L-Series engine.

red
    1998 Z28

alright so the ls serise is more or less like the old sbc everything is universal pretty much... sry i had a 3rd gen before this car so i got to know the standard small block now i got my 4th gen and im still trying to connect the dots in places haha

hugger orange

plus remember if you hit the 9's your car has to be upgraded with roll cage plus more, and you have to get your racing licence

Red

I would like very much for you to go get a book. It is called "How to Rebuild GM LS-Series Engines" and will explain a lot of what you are wanting to know. There are more books out there as well. I think that learning a bit about the Gen III/IV engines will help you form a plan better than some internet guesses....

As for why a 408 is popular, have you ever heard the term, "no replacement for displacement?" All things being equal more cubic inches of displacement will always build more power. It is a balancing act for you daily driver however, as there is a min. amount of fuel needed to operate a given bore/stroke combination, and more displacement will use more. Most examples you will hit (346cu/in vs. 402 cu/in) are pretty negligable on milage issues, but there is a whopping difference between the fuel needed to operate a 1.8l engine over a 7.0l engine! I know things don't come across nicely on the net, but you are going to have to expect a bit of flack from those that have built and worked on cars for many years. A 9sec goal is a great goal, but don't think you can jump into a car of that level without a lot of practice, tuning, frustration, and money. Work your way up to it, and try to find a local mentor. Hands on experience is the best way to learn anything.

red
    1998 Z28

well thank u everyone i really do appreciate everyones input i always love to learn more. i know that these motors r unlike anything gm havs ever put out before and they r simply amazing engines to me i just want to learn as much as i can and everyone on here seems very nolegable on the ls series. aynthing else u guys feel is important for me to know would be much appreciated.

hugger orange

just be like me lol shoot for high 11's, then shoot for low 11's.
    you would be suprised how much money, time and practice it takes to drop a 1/2 second on the strip.
    plus remember if your building a track only/or mostly car the more weight reduction you do to the car the less power you need to get it down the track

red
    1998 Z28

haha true idk what i can really hit cuz i dont know what my buget will be in a few years but hey we can all dream right? plus i like to learn about this stuff

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by AB'sLs1 View Post
    haha true idk what i can really hit cuz i dont know what my buget will be in a few years but hey we can all dream right? plus i like to learn about this stuff
    that is the best attitude to have.

Red

GO this year and hit an open track night and get a feel for what it is all about.

red
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 67rsss View Post
    GO this year and hit an open track night and get a feel for what it is all about.
    haha oo trust me i bought the car last year after i put my 3rd gen into a telephone pole i wanted to see what this ls1 was all about.. i base lined a stock car at 13.6 i was scared to death of the car for the first 2 weeks i had it .... no i need more power!

going to the strip is the biggest rush ever i love everything about it.. i go for my first run of the session next sunday hoping to knock 1 to 2 tenths off my last sessions run.

my thought to date about what to do with the car is to build it up N/A with the stock motor get a feel for what i need to do to get to the 9's then go to an lq9 and swap over what i can use off the ls1 N/A build on to the lq9 and go from there.. what do u guys think?

hugger orange

haha oo trust me i bought the car last year after i put my 3rd gen into a telephone pole i wanted to see what this ls1 was all about.. i base lined a stock car at 13.6 i was scared to death of the car for the first 2 weeks i had it .... no i need more power!

going to the strip is the biggest rush ever i love everything about it.. i go for my first run of the session next sunday hoping to knock 1 to 2 tenths off my last sessions run.

my thought to date about what to do with the car is to build it up N/A with the stock motor get a feel for what i need to do to get to the 9's then go to an lq9 and swap over what i can use off the ls1 N/A build on to the lq9 and go from there.. what do u guys think?
    sounds like a good plan. I'm hoping to get to the track here in the next few weeks......hope to hit high 11s, but I'll be happy with low 12s for now

red
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    sounds like a good plan. I'm hoping to get to the track here in the next few weeks......hope to hit high 11s, but I'll be happy with low 12s for now
    whats ur setup now?

hugger orange

whats ur setup now?
    ALOT of weight reduction in my 04 a4 GTO, 4" CAI/ram air intake, p&pd TB,3,000 stall, ported and polished (stock)241 heads, 220/224 .570/580 112lsa cam, comp 918 springs, pacesetter Lts, 3" true duals with super 44's and 3" resonators, hptuners software.....and a few other things.....nice sticky 275s under the back snapped pretty good last night on the back roads, so now im trying to save up for a set of wheels and 355s to help traction (355s are about the maximum i can fit under the wide body kit)

i will put it to you this way, there are alot of guys on here that are faster than me, but I have done all the work myself on a VERY tight budget (kids, child support, mortgage, plus lots other bills) i'd say I've done pretty good on building it.

red
    1998 Z28

sounds like u got a pretty nice setup there for ur budget ur workin with. hey thanks for the incuragement looks like i still got alot of research heading my way for the next few years mainly on motor,turbos, heads and,cams....i wanna know the sciene behind all of these parts i dont just wanna know what works well together i wanna know Y? and how can i make it better?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information