Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor Research!

red
    1998 Z28

Motor Research!

Ok so im doing research for a future build my car is a stock 98 with ls1 a4. my goal for the car is to have it hit 9.5 or better and i wanna know the best way to do it.

this is not something im doing now id like to do this in the next 2 years. i just wanna be prepared and know what im doing before hand.

ive been looking around and i see alot of u guess went to the ls2 or the lq9... what is the advantage of those blocks over the ls1 other then cubes??

what would need to happen for me to make the switch for the ls1 to the 402?

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Its more then just the motor. I would really recommend you start off with suspension.
    No use having all that power and not being able to use it....or get down the track.
    You would really need to get a 9inch rear and even a 12 bolt. they are pretty much bullet proof. You will need Subframe connectors, Lower control arms, shocks/struts, ect. ect. ect.
    Get as much weight reduction you can, like getting a tubular K-member can drop 40 lbs off the front end.
    Are you wanting to go N/A, FI, or N20?
    There is just soo much you can do.

None

You are planning on this being a track car only!

red
    1998 Z28

really the only thing im worried about is the motor i know i want a 9inch cuz ive read its less unsprunge weight and as for suspension thats not to hard for me im a welder for spohn performance so that stuff comes easy for me.

i asked about the motor because thats the area where there r so many options and i wanna know what would be the best for what i want.

im still not sure about FI i love the sound of a nice lumpy cam and i cant have the profile id be looking for with a turbo and im not realy a fan of superchargers idk y im just not.

id like the car to stay away from nitrous that stuff kinda freaks me out i know people use it all the time im just not wanting to do that.

the car will be a track only car... maybe the occasual run around town nothing much.

so im playing with the idea of either an ls1 build or an ls2 build and im just wondering what the pros and cons of both builds would be and what i would need to do to make an ls2 work in my car realiable and properly

haha sry that was alot at once... just give me what u guys know and what u think i should know based apon what i said

hugger orange

ofcourse the lq9 is iron, which makes it a lot stronger(less flex but 85lbs heavier). the ls1 and ls2 are very close....i think the cam sensor and knock sensors might be in different places. the bigger cubes you startout with will make it easier to make more power.
    nomatter what block you go with you will need to start with a GREAT bottomend for the amount of power you want to put down..... all ARP bolts, aftermaket rods. I'd look at getting 13:1 compression (that will force you to run unleaded race fuel) $7 a gallon....for this you would use dome pistons (flycut for ptv) and big valve milled heads that flow great. on top of the heads you'll want to start looking at doing the sheetmetal intake that you were thinking about before, maybe even a twin 90mm tb intake with a mid 25x/25x 108lsa cam. for what your asking of it the motor will need to spin very high.

after all that I'd seriously set it up with a nice big 300hp shot of nitrous ( I know you said you wanted to stay away from it) but you will almost need it.

red
    1998 Z28

haha yea im still lookin to do that intake i was talkin about... so do u think i can do this N/A without nitrous? i would rather go turbo then setup for nitrous and if i setup for boost i would probably need the lq9 to hold the psi id need to make me time... correct?

now till me r the parts between the ls1 and ls2 interchangable id assume they r but im just wondering?

hugger orange

they also make a setup to get 500ci out of the ls1 where they add a plate to the top of the deck to add an inch of stroke

hugger orange

here is a link to a buildhttp://www.chevyhiperformance.com/tech/engines_drivetrain/shortblock/0904chp_500ci_chevy_ls1_engine_build/index.html

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

If this is a track only car.... you want to hit 9.5's... why not use N2O? To hit those times NA, your asking alot.... and looking at serious money. Need to be realistic with your goals. Not saying you arnt, but at 19 I just cant see you being able to afford what your asking without N20.

red
    1998 Z28

im actually 18 right now but that doesnt really matter haha.... ur right i cant afford it right now im just lookin to get some research in so when the time comes i know exactly what i want and how im going to do it. im not trying to be unlogical with my goal im just afraid of the juice and i like a nice lumpy idle that i cant nessisarily have with a turbo car

haha plus with my car at 157k i should really be lookin for a new block but i want to make sure that what i get is what i want.

so im hoping u guys here will educate me on the matter haha

is ls1 pcm suitable for the ls2 motor? what modifications would i need to do to the car IF i wanna go to the ls2 or lq9?

red
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    here is a link to a buildhttp://www.chevyhiperformance.com/tech/engines_drivetrain/shortblock/0904chp_500ci_chevy_ls1_engine_build/index.html
    that is something to think about... it looks pretty cool idk if its for me but deff. something of intrest to think about

Black
    2000 Z-28

Look at GMHTP this month...a guy w/ a stock bottom end in a Z06 ran like a 9.7 or 9.8. If you drop some weight and match his parts you could very well be in the ballpark.

Red

18 and looking for a 9 second ride? You really need to go spend a bit of time at your local track with some crews. See what is involved in keeping a 9 second car straight, talk to them and learn from them. Suspension and weight transfer are going to be important, trans, rear, D/S, safety equipement, all of these things should be addressed and dialed in before you go spending money to build HP. Not certain which would be the best route for you, but it would be hard to beat a twin turbo setup on a 6.2L iron block. Also, try driving your way down to the 9's. Start stock, just learning the ropes and what works for you, no need to get crazy right away!

Red

Quote Originally Posted by AB'sLs1 View Post
    haha plus with my car at 157k i should really be lookin for a new block but i want to make sure that what i get is what i want.
    Why, you having blow by issues? Coolant disapearing? Throw a rod or blow up a piston? That block can last a while yet...

red
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 67rsss View Post
    Why, you having blow by issues? Coolant disapearing? Throw a rod or blow up a piston? That block can last a while yet...
    im not sure on the life spand of these blocks and i know thats getting up there in milage

and again im not lookin to do this right now haha im not some stupid kid for my age i know a good bit and i know that in no way am i ready for that yet ...haha id shit my pants at half throttle

im just trying to get some research in so i know what im doing before i start doing it

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

People can see up to 300,000 miles with proper maintance on these motors. The blocks are usually good for about 1 honing due to the thin sleeve and then usually need to be re-sleeved which is expensive and usually warrents a new block. Hope that helps.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    People can see up to 300,000 miles with proper maintance on these motors. The blocks are usually good for about 1 honing due to the thin sleeve and then usually need to be re-sleeved which is expensive and usually warrents a new block. Hope that helps.
    thats the time to drop in a 400ci+ stroker

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    thats the time to drop in a 400ci+ stroker

red
    1998 Z28

ok so u guys seem pretty happy with ur 402/408 builds...y? can u get more out of the them? r they easier to build power with? is it just because of the cast option?

how much boost can a properly built ls1 handle?

u can probably dump a good bite more boost into the lq9 right?

head bolts, main bolts, pistons, rods, crank.. what do u guys prefer and y?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

People like the 402/408 over the LS1 simply because it has more cubes. Of course you can get more out of them.Thats why its easier to make power with.

Thread Information