Mixing LS3/LQ4 on LQ4 build?

i have a 2002 LQ4 that I got for a smokin' price - everything looks good in it. destination is a 64 impala ss. i like the tunability of EFI. I like the fact I understand a carb. if I go carb, intake and carb are pretty straight forward. if I go efi, here is the question: i'm looking at ls3 intake with l92 heads. assuming that's a reasonable combination, can i use the existing TB on my truck intake with an LS3 intake? i'm not looking to go to the track nor do i intend to drive the car really hard on the street. At 400 HP or over, I'm happy for a start. More is better but 400-450 is probably as much as I'll need.

currently, i have the stock intake with 317 heads. i'm not intending to go forced induction so I'm getting rid of the heads I have in favor of l92s. I have an early 4L60E to go with it, but i also have TH350 (I think) in a parts car i could use. have a set of headers from an SBC 350 build.

i'm an LS newb (as if i needed to tell you that) so be gentle with me. advice greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Welcome to the site. Where in E. TX are you at? I have family in Kilgore area.

For the TB question - no, it is too small and more importantly the 5.3 TB is 3 bolt pattern and the LS3 is 4 bolt. After market gives you a few options on TB issues. Nick Williams 102mm can be both cable or drive by wire (like the LS3 TB is) and is affordable.

LS3 intake & Heads on a 6 liter is a common swap. The 6.0 liter GEN III/IV blocks are the only block that can handle LS3 heads and intake.

If you go with a carb setup the Victor jr intake is what most guys use. I've read articles on this setup and I'm pretty impressed. Some great HP & TQ numbers.

4L60E would be the better transmission, sell the 350 for parts money, it won't fit IIRC and other possible automatic is the 700R4 that can bolt up to the GEN III/IV blocks without an adapter plate.

Other items for EFI you need to resource:
    ECM & wire harness - try to get one that has the 4L60E wire harness with it. If you go aftermarket just tell them what you have and they will make it happen.
    Motor & transmission mounts - this may require some custom fabbing

Whether you go with carb or efi both have pro's and con's.

Hope you keep us updated.

I'm maybe 15 minutes from Kilgore. Go around it nearly every day on the way to work.

you say the "5.3 TB" - all my engine is stock 6.0? I'm probably confused.

My brother - who is great with cars - found out about my plans and said I have a "great sense of adventure". LOL. Little does he know, i'm taking him with me.

Navy Blue Metallic

sorry I thought I read 5.3 TB. But the answer is still no. The LS3's swapped over to a 4 bolt pattern for the TB's

5.3's, LQ4/9's, LS1/2/6's all have the same 3 bolt TB.

Some things I also for got to ask/add.

What yr is the 6.0 liter block? It does matter.....

I'm in the process of building my 6.0 liter to replace the LS1 I blew up. I'm in a minor pause till JAN 1st, I have to get past Christmas before I can have play money. Kids/family first kinda thing. My current goal is to be ready by end of Feb to middle of Mar.

In my signature is a link to my build, click on it and it will take you there. There are quite a few of us here that are building engines so if you have any questions feel free to drop any one of us a post.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

i *think* its a 2002. i looked for the vin back drivers side under head. found some #s but it looks like the bellhousing has rubbed them off. last part looks like 7011-013 but hard to tell. might not be right #s anyway. I read i can get the year by looking at a code on the front - i'll try that as well.

i hear you on christmas. I have a bunch of stuff up for trade and a 66 tbird for sale. trying to fund the build and stay off the credit card.

Navy Blue Metallic

99-04 are the golden yrs for LQ4's. They have the 24x reluctor wheel and the same crank as LS1's. Pre 99's have a slightly longer crank (rumored to be a LT1 style). The reluctor wheel count matters because starting 04 they started using 58x wheels. It effects what PCM's and wire harness you need.

Invest in a machine shop - meaning make sure the block is solid. I picked up mine and thought it was ok even though it had a hydrolock on #8 cylinder. It ended up needing to be bored .005" over because the #8 cylinder was .001" out of spec for stock pistons and rings. It would have run but for how long So $640 later I have a solid block that is bored 4.005", rotating assembly (crank, new rods, new pistons & rings) is balanced and new cam bearings installed. The rods, pistons, & rings cost around $750 more, but they are forged so if I decide to run N2O later I know they will handle up to a 250 shot.

I think your biggest challenge will be the oil pan. You may need to fab or modify to have clearance.

OK - next noob question for the day: this lq4 came without harness or computer. I'm a trader/shopper so I can find it. What exactly am I asking for? I think I want to convert the 64 impala to FI rather than do the carb/msd setup. but for right now, I just want to get the thing running on a stand. Suggestions?

Navy Blue Metallic

Update - had a project 66 tbird up for sale/trade. nice straight car with running drive train but some interesting and large rust issues. Traded it to a guy who has a shop in the area. he and his crew picked up my 64 impala ss. taking body off frame, hand sand to bare metal inside/out/under, fix several rust issues (leave as much orig metal as possible - as little filler as possible), 2 coats dark epoxy primer, rejoin body/frame, bring back to me - pick up tbird as straight payment. should be done in 2-3 weeks. I get frame while off body so I can clean and inspect. meanwhile, they are taking multiple pictures as they work.

Question - i have the 2002 lq4 to go in it. i'll be getting the harness/computer and the mounting plates. Right now, I want inexpensive HP upgrades. I'm thinking of keeping the 317 heads and truck intake. what kind of mild cam would wake it up? i'd like something i can find salvage vs buying new, but i'll buy new if necessary. Spring change? i like a nice lope but dont want anything that makes it rough to drive in stop/go traffic.

Question - also in market for trans. I have a TH350 (I think) that will need a rebuild. But no OD. I plan on cruising this car and using as daily driver so Id like OD. But also want it to handle up to 600 HP (I'm watching for a deal on a supercharger to compliment the 317 heads and their low compression). Was thinking 4l6?e or 4l8?e series. Thoughts?

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by kevinr View Post
    Update - had a project 66 tbird up for sale/trade. nice straight car with running drive train but some interesting and large rust issues. Traded it to a guy who has a shop in the area. he and his crew picked up my 64 impala ss. taking body off frame, hand sand to bare metal inside/out/under, fix several rust issues (leave as much orig metal as possible - as little filler as possible), 2 coats dark epoxy primer, rejoin body/frame, bring back to me - pick up tbird as straight payment. should be done in 2-3 weeks. I get frame while off body so I can clean and inspect. meanwhile, they are taking multiple pictures as they work.

Question - i have the 2002 lq4 to go in it. i'll be getting the harness/computer and the mounting plates. Right now, I want inexpensive HP upgrades. I'm thinking of keeping the 317 heads and truck intake. what kind of mild cam would wake it up? i'd like something i can find salvage vs buying new, but i'll buy new if necessary. Spring change? i like a nice lope but dont want anything that makes it rough to drive in stop/go traffic.

Talk with Martin @ Tick. They have cams going for $400, he can give you a great recommendation on cam specs you want. Springs - yes need to count on getting those as well as chrome moly push rods (make sure you measure for correct size. I know TS&P's MS3/4 cams have good results with LQ4's and 317 heads. Only issue is that they seem to go through springs every 25k miles (w/heavy track use).
    Don't forget lifters. LS7 lifters are now the stock GM replacements, a solid upgrade would be from BTR.

I would never recommend salvage a cam, ever....

LS6 intake would give you better gains vs truck or LS1/2 intakes.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinr View Post
    Question - also in market for trans. I have a TH350 (I think) that will need a rebuild. But no OD. I plan on cruising this car and using as daily driver so Id like OD. But also want it to handle up to 600 HP (I'm watching for a deal on a supercharger to compliment the 317 heads and their low compression). Was thinking 4l6?e or 4l8?e series. Thoughts?
    The 4L80E is the best recommendation, heavy duty and lots of aftermarket support, the 60 can be built up but not as much as the 80. Another option is the 700R4. This is best for carb type builds with minimal ecm requirements.

One more thing to look out for. Oil pan clearance.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 12-04-2013 at 11:05 AM.

i guess my main concern is if i will have to cut up the trans tunnel. if i had to choose between OD/more modern trans and leaving the tunnel alone and using an older non OD trans, i think i'd leave the tunnel alone. anyone want to chime in on that? anyone done an lq4 into a 64 impala?

Thread Information