Red
    97 trans am

lt1 worked over or lt4 kit

i have 97 trans am.im i better off to have my heads ported and match intake then install GM Hot Cam kit or install lt4 top end kit . i think both will net about 400 horses but wich is easier or more cost effective.Also would they both be compatable for a later 383 stroker.the TA has 198k doesnt smoke or use any oil would a reworked top end put any extra stess on the bottom end? i guess what im saying is should i think about going thru the bottom end at same time as top??

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Lots of questions so let me try to break this down.

A: Fresh top end will put more stress on the bottom end. It will vary depending on what all you do (IE: Intake/Cam/Pistons/etc)
    B: Between the LT4 and the LT1 top end kit, I'd do the LT4. Especially if you are going to upgrade in the future (IE: 383/Turbo/Super Charger/NOS)
    C: Cost effectiveness I am unsure of because I'm a LS series motor guy, not a LT1/4 guy
    D: What is you're definition of "Bottom End" because the way you word it, it seems like Pistons/Rings are what you mean. To me bottom end is crank/rods.
    E: If you want the most power and the best reliability then going through the entire motor is a must. Whether it burns oil or not, 198K is a lot of miles to be modding. Why waste you're money on some parts just to have the lower end fail and cost you more in the long run. Do it all is my vote! More money up front but less in the long run.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Red
    97 trans am

By bottom end I mean below heads and intake. I've read that a worked set of lt heads and good cam could out preform the more expensive lt4 kit. I'd like 400 hp i wonder could my bottom end sustain the mods to get it

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Now I understand a bit better! I would do the entire bottom end then if it was me. Like I said, more money up front but a more reliable engine and may gain some power with new pistons/rings. At 195K the rings have some wear. While it may outperform the LT4 off the get go, if you stick money into the LT4 later on (Port and Polish) it will have more gains. If you are looking into the cheapest way of getting to 400hp, you have already found the way. Just do the Heads/Cam that you found.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

One last thing to chew on for a bit. You have to remember that with worked heads, they will add compression. Compression on old rings can put added wear on them and blow by possibly. I would do a compression test of all 8 cylinders and try to find the stats for a fresh LT1 and compare. That can help tell alot about which way you want to go. 195K is alot of miles either way. Doesn't mean the motor is done but it closer to its way out then fresh if you know what I'm saying.

Red
    97 trans am

10-4. I'm thinking of putting a150 shot on it so I can justify building the motor because I won't build it till I blow it

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Wes97ta View Post
    10-4. I'm thinking of putting a150 shot on it so I can justify building the motor because I won't build it till I blow it
    I highly advise against that! You don't know what will happen if you blow the engine. Could snap a rod and send it through the block making your block usless resulting in more money. Could melt a piston and take out the crank. On a full rebuild all you really need is:

A: Pistons and rings
    B: Rod and Crank bearings
    C: Crank gone through (Make sure jounals are good for the bearings)
    D: All new gaskets
    E: Hone the cylinders

You could get away with re-ringing the pistons and reusing them but for a couple hundred more dollars why not (Unless on a tight budget, then save up before hand)

Red
    97 trans am

Black ss you're an ls man right.should I get rid of the car and buy one with an ls or do a lt To ls swap. Or can I build a lt that will keep up with an ls for the money I would put in a swap

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

LS1's are going fairly cheap on ebay since the motor is 13 years old now. I am unsure if you could build the LT faster then the LS for the price but you can build a LT faster (Gotta pay to play ) I'm more bias to the LS1 so I would say swap or new car

Thread Information