Lt1 / Ls1

This is a discussion on Lt1 / Ls1 within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hey guys, I've read a lot of info on this forum and it has given me good incite. I havn't ...

Network

Lt1 / Ls1

Hey guys, I've read a lot of info on this forum and it has given me good incite. I havn't been into cars for that long so this might be easy to answer. What is the big difference of a LT1 and LS1 Camaro engine wise? Thanks for your time guys.
    Last edited by Network; 01-28-2006 at 05:06 AM.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Well basically they are completely different...

Just do a google search. Main differences are:

Fuel: LT1: Tuned Port Vs LS1: Sequential Fuel injection
    Ignition: LT1: Optispark single coil LS1: Coil over plug(each spark plug has its own coil)

Intake:LT1 : Alum/cast Not sure but its metal vs LS1: Plastic much less heat transfer

Block: LT1: Cast and heavy vs LS1: ALL aluminum I think it ways like 50lbs less than the LT1 at only somthing lik 116lbs

Cooling: LT1: Backwards flow cools the heads before the block waterpump is cam driven vs LS1: Normal flow waterpump is belt driven

Over all the LS1 is far superior in technology advancments and easier to get extra HP out of with bolt ons. Currently I own a 96 t/A with LT1 and 98 formula with LS1. The LT1 by far is harder to work on and has more problematic things like the waterpump and optispark and crappy stock exhaust manifolds that go up first and make changing the plugs even harder than they need to be. Hope this helps.

Network
    thanks for the help, and I will further research it. I only ask this because I've heard that LT1 were faster and easier to build hp. I defiantly will need to do research before I buy.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

y would the lt1 be faster?
    compare the stock numbers and times u will see a bit of a difference...a BIG difference!

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Network
    thanks for the help, and I will further research it. I only ask this because I've heard that LT1 were faster and easier to build hp. I defiantly will need to do research before I buy.
    I'm thinking either you or your source got the two mixed up. The LT1 is a good engine, as long as you are not comparing it to an LS1. The LT1 was mainly designed as improvements on the gen 1 small block that had been mostly unchanged since 1955. That says a lot for what GM was able to achieve with it.

The LS1 was a clean slate redesign that took everything learned from the LT1 and applied it to a much more efficient and powerful engine.

As stated above, the engine is much lighter, has a better cooling system and ignition. The LSx family of engines has a wide range of interchangable parts between the passeneger car and truck engines.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

ls1tech director

laser red
    1994 Mustang GT

the main power difference comes from the heads: 200cc intake, 70cc exhaust 2.00/1.60 valve sizing, and a 15* valve angle (changed from the old 23*).

check the FAQ in my sig and read about the ls1's inception.

Thread Information