Red
    97 trans am

Lt build or ls swap

My 97 ta has lt1 and runs good Msd ign. No cats and a flow. I need some opinions am I better off money wise to build the lt. Or swap for ls. Looking for around 400 horses and very steetable. What build combos work for y'all. Can I just stay on top end or go top and bottom and some ideas on what to use. ??

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

lq9/4 bottom end, ls6 top end.. ported heads and nice cam, will get more than that, and still good at as daily driving..

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

welcome to ls1

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

G'day and welcome. I know of quite a few who have done the LT4 package, and are quite pleased with the results. I believe it is a head/cam/intake swap, so no bottom end work is needed. Maybe a member who has done it will post some info here.

Just a warning though, I'd recommend upgrading the drivetrain to handle the power first. There are some weaker componants that will not take kindly to the added stress. The stock rear end being one. Plan on a 12 bolt or 9" there. Relocating the torque arm off the tailshaft of the tranny is a good idea too. Driveshaft, subframe connectors, panhard bar, shocks, ect., are all recommended upgrades.

Red
    97 trans am

What is a lq9/4?? And will stock lt bottom end hold up with a 150 shot. If so what bolt ons should I put with nos , mass air meter ?? Injectors?? Also I need my computer flashed who is " The Man "

Red
    97 trans am

Relocate torque arm

Where can I find the hardware to do so?? I'm going thru tranny mounts like crazy. And I believe it's that arm popping them and lifting my tail shaft

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Lq9 or lq4 is a 6.0 iron block. Came on some SUVs and trucks. If I'll do a swap I would look more in to this motors. Lt1/4 don't know much bout them. I wouldn't spend time or money on those. That's just my opinion

For tuning the sponsor here "frost" he's the man for that. People say very good things bout him, I personally will send my PCM to him some time on January.

He is right. Before you plan on running so many horses under the hood. Get the car ready for them.
    Suspension mods, he gave you a list on what's needed to put the power on the ground.
    Rear end on our cars is nor very strong.
    So be ready for that.
    Good luck with your project.

There's so much info on this site. Lots of people that can answer your questions.
    Last edited by 98maro; 10-11-2011 at 01:26 AM.

To do the swap it would be best to have an LS donor car.

You need the entire drop out cross member out of an LS 4th gen to make it work. You'll need a 4th gen accessory drive setup as well, and an LS1 computer from a 4th gen and possibly the wire harness or at least some of the wire harness.

It's been done many times, but it's not as simple as finding an LQ engine and dropping it in.

My opinion, if you have an LT1 car, it's not worth the hassle. The LT1 is a proven package that makes good power. It would be much easier (and cheaper) to build what you have.
    If an LS1 is something you must have, I would prefer to sell the LT1 4th gen and pick up an LS1 4th gen and save yourself alot of headache. Plenty of them out there forsale cheap.

Ray Charles blue

I with Firebirdjones.

For the money you would have in JUST an LS1 swap you can build the hell out of your LT1. Other than the "one here or there" that has the 4-bolt mains normal LT1 F-bodies only use 2-bolt mains. If I had the money to do an LS1 swap I would do a 383 stroker kit with some worked over LT1 heads (yes, some well outperform the LT4 heads for cheaper), LT4 intake make to work with the 58mm TB, and a healthy cam. You would a kick ass LT1 powered F-body and suprise the shit out of many people.

Red
    97 trans am

Building the lt is what I'm leening to. I have another block. 2 bolt main bit I don't have a problem with that if you spin e bearing it's a rod. So build a stroked with flat tops or domes?? Have heads worked or go lt4 heads?? And what a GM hot cam kit or what cam. Bigger throttle body and injectors?? What about intake??Is the hot cam generally better for stock or built motors?

Thread Information