Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LSX or Iron Block

This is a discussion on LSX or Iron Block within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by RedVertTA I thought that all LSX were iron, am I wrong? no they are not....

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    I thought that all LSX were iron, am I wrong?
    no they are not.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    no they are not.

Actually they are

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=708&catid=42

There are a few options for an aluminum block though like the C5R, LS7, and L92/LS3 blocks, but they do have a heavy price tag compared to an LQ9.

I don't think any are rated to be as stout as the LSX though.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Well I suppose for the next couple of posts we'll be arguing about whether or not LSX is iron or aluminum.

But aside from that, I've noticed World Products has a new ls7 block with an extra bolt hole at the bottom of each cylinder for more clamping pressure. It goes for about 4g's, and there are heads available for it with the extra bolt hole.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

the LSX is IRON!!

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    Well I suppose for the next couple of posts we'll be arguing about whether or not LSX is iron or aluminum.

But aside from that, I've noticed World Products has a new ls7 block with an extra bolt hole at the bottom of each cylinder for more clamping pressure. It goes for about 4g's, and there are heads available for it with the extra bolt hole.
    4g's be way too much dough for a block!! especially aluminum i think that block can only go to a 427 and the tall deck LSX can go to a 511
    Last edited by afattitude; 11-18-2008 at 09:48 PM.

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

and what if i were to go for more than 700 still the 408??

BLUE
    2000 SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by afattitude View Post
    yeah no doubt i have read several places that the stock crank can only reliably hold 550 rwhp
    The stock crank has reliably held well over 1000 hp.

Let me put it this way. NO_ONE has ever failed a stock crank from a proven case of too much power.

700 hp, buy a forged ls1 strap a d1 on it with the correct fuel system and have a nice day.

hugger orange

and what if i were to go for more than 700 still the 408??
    if i had the money id just get a 700hp 454 lsx
    http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=239248

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

I would want more than 700 hp from 15,xxx dollars and 454 ci

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

Anyone know of of good place to get an iron truck block? the cheaper the better as we all know.

hugger orange

Anyone know of of good place to get an iron truck block? the cheaper the better as we all know.
    I'd hit all local salvage yards and dare I say ebay....becareful, I've seen some friends get burned on ebay, but have seen friends get great deals there too....watch shipping prices too

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

15k is a lot of money, HOWEVER it is a complete engine for that price... honestly though I'd go with the LSx Block. I was actually looking for the same setup.... but looking to get as much HP as I can squeeze out of it. My only problem with the F1 procharger is the fuel octane and is it really worth it??? but LSx is my vote...

2000 Camaro SS, M6, Edelbrock LT's, Eibach Pro-Kit, Edelbrock Adjustable Coil-Overs
    1986 Camaro Iroc LS1 Swap In Progress

Blue Magic...
    Like Pepsi It's A Brand Name...

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

I have done quite a bit of research now looking at others fbody builds and i think just for the engine i and going to set a 10k cap that is what i want to stay around i do want it to be procharged tho and i have looked at epp and seen the nice F1C kits that they have there and that will put me close to 20k but other than that i think those will be my limits. Starting to look at internals leaning toward Callies. Little more strength than eagle but not the price of Lunati. And I am still looking around for heads I have heard many different things L92, Patriot Stage III, Trick Flow. I don't know which to go for but I am not willing to pay over 1K per head like AFR or any like that. Possible looking at the GMPP carb style intake, not willing to pay for FAST. I f anyone has suggestions please throw them my way.

PEWTER
    99 TRANS AM

LSx for sure. Build a 427 incher. 4.125 bore x 4.0 stroke.
    That way when you get it together a relize 700 is not enough there will be nothing to worry about. Just change the boost and bang 100 more!!!LOL

Trans Am owner
    former

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    Top fuel uses aluminum blocks and they make 8,000hp....I say aluminum block!!
    well, those are SOLID billet aluminum. they dont have any water jackets. theres a big difference between them and street aluminum blocks.

have you ever seen under one with the oil pan off? I have laid under one......it was better then lookin up a girls skirt.....hahahaha

btw, I recomend a LSX block. pay for it now, and never worry about it later. you can run a much larger bore, and a bigger stroke. LSX is the ultimate!

PEWTER
    99 TRANS AM

with the right parts in a 427 incher 700 is almost touchable with out the blower.
    L92 heads hand ported with the intake to match. you can make 650 no problem w/ and .650 lift cam that will not eat valve springs every time out take it out. Mix in a little 110 a she will run the street all day. With a 150 shot hold on tight. And the block is only half the price of the blower!

The Slow and the Broke ImportIntimidator's Avatar

Black
    2002 Trans Am

LSX is the way to go imo. I'm working with my shop on undertaking a very similar build. Plan is to build a Procharged LSx based off the 454 LSX crate engine offered by GMPP (EFI though not carb). It's no stretch to say the turnkey price is going to be steep, but the old saying 'you get what you pay for' comes to mind, and the LSX provides room for growth well beyond your goals (do the mods ever end?).. Be sure to check out the FI section too. One of our members is doing a hell of an LSX twin turbo build for his vette and has documented the whole thing with great photos. I think it might give you some ideas, although price isn't really a factor in that build as you will see.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

I have a iron block engine that came out of a 2000 chevy truck we used here at the shop. We removed it because of what sounded like a bad wraist pin. was thinking about doing the same thing but, if you wanted it I may decide to sell it .The engine run and it have everything on it coils, fan, waterpump, intake, and so on.Will take any fair offer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information