Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

LSX Build questions

This is a discussion on LSX Build questions within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by anniversary30 I think I might have to start saving. Probably be at that for quite some time. ...

  1. #21
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by anniversary30 View Post
    I think I might have to start saving.
    Probably be at that for quite some time.

    Don't forget how much the internals will run, and a 4 plus inch crank won't be cheap either.



    Get the LQ9 408 and spray it if you need 650+ RWHP. Best/cheapest way to get there.

  2. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Odessa Tx
    Posts
    50

    Red
    2002 Trans am

    lsx is roughly 2 grand lq9 500-700 im going to start calling around tomorrow for my lq9 hopefully get my car up and running again soon missing it to much lol.

  3. #23
    Member anniversary30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    46
    Posts
    657

    White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

    What about the ls2? is That similer to the lq9?

  4. #24
    TJEA Retirement Home Dr.Crash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    U. S And A Greatest country in all of world
    Posts
    3,383

    Stock
    2002 Camaro

    http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=46&catid=28


    here is what i went with. great price. I went with callies crank, and rods, wiseco pistons.

  5. #25
    TJEA Retirement Home Dr.Crash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    U. S And A Greatest country in all of world
    Posts
    3,383

    Stock
    2002 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by anniversary30 View Post
    What about the ls2? is That similer to the lq9?
    LS2 is alum. LQ9 is iron. the LQ9 will take more abuse

  6. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    DADE COUNTY
    Posts
    12
    I think that strokers are a waste of time and money. you should just go with a blower or turbo set-up

  7. #27
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by 8URSVT View Post
    I think that strokers are a waste of time and money. you should just go with a blower or turbo set-up
    Thats just you thinking.

  8. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    DADE COUNTY
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Thats just you thinking.
    There is plenty of potential in the LS1. Do you not agree? So why buy a new block when you can use the one you have a make gobbs of power? preice per HP is just not there. An LS1 with N20 is cheap, and if you take care of it can last forever.

  9. #29
    Member TACE02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    41
    Posts
    568

    ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by 8URSVT View Post
    There is plenty of potential in the LS1. Do you not agree? So why buy a new block when you can use the one you have a make gobbs of power? preice per HP is just not there. An LS1 with N20 is cheap, and if you take care of it can last forever.
    Easy, do you want to start with a Shetland Pony or a Stallion!!!



    look at GorillaVette... 434 TT, broke the engine dyno at 1400HP... pretty sure a 346 couldn't do that.

  10. #30
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    DADE COUNTY
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    Easy, do you want to start with a Shetland Pony or a Stallion!!!



    look at GorillaVette... 434 TT, broke the engine dyno at 1400HP... pretty sure a 346 couldn't do that.
    I agree that a bigger engine makes more power. However, that doesnt mean that you cant make alot of power with the stock block.

  11. #31
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by 8URSVT View Post
    I agree that a bigger engine makes more power. However, that doesnt mean that you cant make alot of power with the stock block.
    But thats exactly what your left with. A 5-8000(maybe minus labor) dollar investment sitting on top of a stock shortblock. I would much rather spend that money on a new block, new crank, rods, pistons all forged and have a shortblock combo that makes sense for your current and up coming plans.

  12. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Odessa Tx
    Posts
    50

    Red
    2002 Trans am

    TSP has to order the block and bore it etc etc if I wont to go with the 408 but he said he had a iron block for a 404 but id have to use lq9 heads. He didnt say what block im guessing a lq9 but why a 404 if it was a lq9?

  13. #33
    Senior Member Bottesini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denton, Texas soon Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,955

    Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Ls1Bandit02ws6 View Post
    TSP has to order the block and bore it etc etc if I wont to go with the 408 but he said he had a iron block for a 404 but id have to use lq9 heads. He didnt say what block im guessing a lq9 but why a 404 if it was a lq9?
    Sounds like a LQ9 block with a 4" stroke and only honed the bore to 4.005"

  14. #34
    TJEA Retirement Home Dr.Crash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    U. S And A Greatest country in all of world
    Posts
    3,383

    Stock
    2002 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by Ls1Bandit02ws6 View Post
    TSP has to order the block and bore it etc etc if I wont to go with the 408 but he said he had a iron block for a 404 but id have to use lq9 heads. He didnt say what block im guessing a lq9 but why a 404 if it was a lq9?
    i waited over a month for mine. They told me they had a few others if i wanted it quick, but i figured if i was going to spend the money i wanted to get something that was made for me. not something that someone else ordered and never paid for. between 402-408, Ci doesnt matter.

  15. #35
    TJEA Retirement Home Dr.Crash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    U. S And A Greatest country in all of world
    Posts
    3,383

    Stock
    2002 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    Sounds like a LQ9 block with a 4" stroke and only honed the bore to 4.005"
    Are you sure? i have the 408 and mine is .030 over. So 4 CI = .025 bore?

  16. #36
    Senior Member Bottesini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denton, Texas soon Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,955

    Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    Are you sure? i have the 408 and mine is .030 over. So 4 CI = .025 bore?
    Remember there is alot more math involved than just a .025 difference. You also have to multiple it by 8 (number of cylinders) and there is also that the difference runs the entire length of the cylinder. There is a few pies in there that you have to use as well, but many of the compression calculators that you can find online tell you the total cubic inches as well.

    In the long run it really does not make a big difference as far as how much power you will make. Personally I am looking right now to make engine with the LQ9 which will have the 4" stroke and 4.005" bore, just to give me the extra sidewall for strength. Though the LS3 is tempted as well

  17. #37
    TJEA Retirement Home Dr.Crash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    U. S And A Greatest country in all of world
    Posts
    3,383

    Stock
    2002 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    Remember there is alot more math involved than just a .025 difference. You also have to multiple it by 8 (number of cylinders) and there is also that the difference runs the entire length of the cylinder. There is a few pies in there that you have to use as well, but many of the compression calculators that you can find online tell you the total cubic inches as well.

    In the long run it really does not make a big difference as far as how much power you will make. Personally I am looking right now to make engine with the LQ9 which will have the 4" stroke and 4.005" bore, just to give me the extra sidewall for strength. Though the LS3 is tempted as well
    I thought about the LS3 as well. Just like you want the extra side wall, i want the iron block as a safety blanket

  18. #38
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Odessa Tx
    Posts
    50

    Red
    2002 Trans am

    I think im going to go ahead and get the 404. Also think im going to go ahead and buy me a tranny while im at it with around a 3500 -3800 stall and a driveshaft.

    Just dont know who to go with for the tranny some local buddys say their flt and performa built trannys havnt been very good at all???

  19. #39
    Member TACE02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    41
    Posts
    568

    ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Ls1Bandit02ws6 View Post
    I think im going to go ahead and get the 404. Also think im going to go ahead and buy me a tranny while im at it with around a 3500 -3800 stall and a driveshaft.

    Just dont know who to go with for the tranny some local buddys say their flt and performa built trannys havnt been very good at all???
    PM sent

  20. #40
    Member victor111262's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    oklahoma city
    Posts
    179

    White
    2001 Z28

    where are the places other than gm to get an lsx block??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. lt1 build questions
    By dirttrax in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-11-2013, 02:32 PM
  2. LQ9 build questions
    By askkmb in forum General Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-22-2012, 10:23 AM
  3. Question: 6.0 build questions
    By onebadws666 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-09-2010, 12:31 PM
  4. 02 WS6 build questions
    By MudStainKILLA in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 08:09 PM
  5. Questions for lq4 build.
    By g-mo in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 07:41 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •