Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

LSX 454 Build Sheet and Opinions

This is my engine only build sheet for my new LSX 454 block. My goal is to push 500+RWHP with low compression to set it up for the F1 Procharger i have in my garage. All opinions are welcome as well as suggestions for other perhaps better parts and so on.

The engine build will be as follows:

Engine

454cid LSX Bowtie Stroker Short Block
    Block: 454 Cubic Inch LSX
    Litre: 7.4L
    Max HP: 2500
    Bore: 3.990"
    Max Bore: 4.250”
    Pistons: Diamond Racing Flat-Top -3.8cc
    Crankshaft: Callies 4.100” Stroker Crank
    Rods: Callies 6.125” LS1 Compstar Rods
    Main Cap Bolts: ARP LSX
    Reluctor: 58x Tooth
    Conversion: LS2 Kit

Heads

Trick Flow CNC Ported LS1 Heads
    Head: Trick Flow 245cc CNC
    Bore: 4.000”
    Intake Runner: 245cc
    Exhaust Runner: 80cc
    Combustion Chambers: 64cc
    Intake Valves: 2.04”
    Exhaust Valves: 1.575”
    Duel Valve Springs: 1.300”
    Valve Seals: Viton Canister-Style
    Valve Locks: 7° Steel
    Retainers: 7° Titanium

Cam

Texas Speed Magic Stick 4 Camshaft
    Camshaft: TSP Magic Stick V4
    Duration Intake: 239
    Duration Exhaust: 242
    Intake: .649”
    Exhaust: .609”
    Lobe Separation: 112LSA
    Power Band: 2300-6800RPM
    Peak: 6400RPM
    Total Configuration: 239/242, .649"/.609" 112LSA

Intake

FAST LSXR™ 102mm Intake Manifold
    Fitment: 3.825” Bore or Greater
    Size: 102mm
    Composition: Polymer
    Design: 3 Piece Modular
    Intake Runner: Long

Throttle Body

FAST LSX BIGMOUTH Throttlebody
    Fitment: 102mm FAST LSXR
    Throttle: Cable Driven
    Composition: Billet 6061-T6 Aluminum

Headers

QTP 1 7/8" High Velocity Collector Race
    Header Type: QTP Long Tube Slip Fit
    Style: Race Style W/O EGR or AIR
    Size: 1 7/8” Primaries
    Head Flanges: Port Matched 3/8” Stainless Steel
    Tubing Material: 304 Stainless Steel
    Finish: High Polished Finish
    Tubing: 16 Gauge .065
    Collector: High Velocity Turbulence Spike

Pully

ASP Underdrive Pully
    Underdrive: 25%
    Construction: Steel
    Package: Crank & Alternator Pulley Set
    Pully: Tall Belt Retention Walls
    Track: Integral Timing Marks
    Threads: Built in

This is what i have so far on the build sheet... Obviously it's not complete yet this is why i want good suggestions for the fuel system (i was thinking 2 Bosch O44's) injectors, rails, electrical, rockers (Sharps 1.7 maybe?) Water, Oil, and more importantly SUSPENSION as i will need to get this damn thing to hook!!!

Im looking to get this car finished by next summer. As of right now i have 20K to put into this car and i would like all parts to go hand in hand and be of good quality but not killing my bank fund.

Primary use for the car is weekend driver. I DON'T want it to be a track only car, so please keep this in mind when giving me suggestions for parts because if i can't drive the car around the streets and on the highway and show it off while cutting 10s then whats the point lol

Thank you in advance to everyone who is giving me suggestions on my build!

Also anyone heard anything about these TSP heads??

And how would these match up on my 454 LSX VS. the Trickflow 245cc i originally listed??

PRC LS7x 265cc 7.0L CNC Heads

NEW GM LS7 Cores
    Based off PRC's CNC Ported LS7 Heads
    2.200"/1.610" Valves
    PRC Double Spring Kit Complete With PRC Double
    Springs, Titanium Retainers, Seats, & Seals
    Completely Assembled & Setup To Your Specs!!
    Available With Stainless, Hollow Stems, or titanium valves!

LS7
    Intake
    LS7 Exhaust PRC 265cc
    LS7 Intake PRC LS7 Exhaust
    .200 161 114 169 119
    .300 227 171 248 179
    .400 291 193 308 211
    .500 330 203 351 224
    .600 351 209 383 235
    .650 353 204 388 241
    .700 353 209 393 246

Flow Data: @ 4.125" Bore Plate Superflow 600

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I would say go with the LS7 heads since they are the ones that are port matched with the 102mm Intake. TSP hasn't yet disappointed me and they seem to have a good thing going with their heads.

Also...awesome build...I can't wait to see this thing in action.

On a more personal opinion, I would not do this to a CETA. I think they should be kept totally stock, even down to the stock lid and exhaust. Like I said, this is only my opinion...good luck with the build.
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 M6: 427ci LS3, Built T56, Moser 9" w/ 4.11 Gearing, Full Suspension, and 6-point Cage.
    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP: Twincharged w/ a T67 Turbocharger
    2007 Chevrolet 3500 Dually Duramax: 3" Downpipe, Dual 4" Exhaust, EFILive Tuning

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Thats quite the impressive build. That F1 is great. What parts do you have already? I would say using the MS4 and building a motor for boost would be wrong. Custom camshaft is the only way to go here, and im guessing it not going to have a bleeding 112 LSA

Unfortunatly this is the only WS6 i have is my CETA but it only has 9K miles on it and i have ALL the original parts right down to the hangers for te original exhaust. So if i ever plan to sell it (which i will probably die with the car in my possession lol) then atleast i can bring it back to stock....

The PRC 265cc heads have better numbers then the Trick Flows and obviously because there bigger but i did overlook the fact that their port matched so something else to consider i guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Thats quite the impressive build. That F1 is great. What parts do you have already? I would say using the MS4 and building a motor for boost would be wrong. Custom camshaft is the only way to go here, and im guessing it not going to have a bleeding 112 LSA
    Thank you very much!!! The only parts i have is the Procharger and all the necessary accessories (Front mount etc). I guess for the blower motor i can go with a milder cam and yes like you said some custom grind to work with the motor. I would really like all forged internals but im not going to be making over 1000HP and its just waaaaaaay too much money...

Thanks for all your opinions and KEEP EM COMMING!!!!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

What fuel system are you going with? This is going to be costly. I would recomend going with one single inline fuel pump rather then 2 Walbros. Many have had just one pump fail and be fine until they see some good boost. Then the motor goes. Your going to need a really good fuel systeml. With a F1 and a 454 LSX, your biggest limitation is going to be fuel.

I dont know if you had even planed not running great internals, judging by that last sentence of yours... But if you cant run top of the line internals, I say go smaller cubes/iron block. Even with a 402 and a F1, you can make just stupid power. 700 RWHP would b attainable with that combo. I was just looking at one Are you absoltuely sure on this setup? If you have the money, then by all means... Carry on

i agree with hipo i would go with forged internals if you can

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Forged internals is a must. You would probably be hard pressed finding non forged for such a bored/stroke combo LSX.

yep hes going all out on everything eles theres no reason why i would cheap out on not going Forged internals but i understand you only have so much money to work with

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    yep hes going all out on everything eles theres no reason why i would cheap out on not going Forged internals but i understand you only have so much money to work with
    Yes, i want to get all the best stuff but not blow through my 20K and only have half a setup but if i need them, then i'm not cutting corners by any means i'll just save some extra for it no problem....

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    What fuel system are you going with? This is going to be costly. I would recomend going with one single inline fuel pump rather then 2 Walbros. Many have had just one pump fail and be fine until they see some good boost. Then the motor goes. Your going to need a really good fuel systeml. With a F1 and a 454 LSX, your biggest limitation is going to be fuel.

I dont know if you had even planed not running great internals, judging by that last sentence of yours... But if you cant run top of the line internals, I say go smaller cubes/iron block. Even with a 402 and a F1, you can make just stupid power. 700 RWHP would b attainable with that combo. I was just looking at one Are you absoltuely sure on this setup? If you have the money, then by all means... Carry on
    Yes, im set on this setup and am willing to go the extra mile to ensure all parts are top of the line. I DONT want to cut corners esp with all of the money im going to be dumping into it only to have something fail or blow up.

For forged internals what would u suggest? With the F1, and the 454 setup the MOST i would be willing to push it would be 800-900HP although i know the block and blower can handle much more. I just want to have everything work together, not cut any corners and have all reliable equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by NeeD4SpeeD View Post
    Yes, i want to get all the best stuff but not blow through my 20K and only have half a setup but if i need them, then i'm not cutting corners by any means i'll just save some extra for it no problem....
    yea i would price out the Forged internals and go from there if you need to save alittle more i would but thats going to be one badass setup when done lol

now-atomic orange
    2002 SLP M6 SS

By no means would I want to rain on your parade, but...I don't see $20K getting it done with what you've got listed, and getting the suspension to hook and the rear end to live, and tires,ect...

I think you can go with a much cheaper setup then the 454lsx and still get where you want to go (in the 10's) and have some $ left to get the car to hookup. I'm guessing that unless you can put the lsx together yourself, you'll have most of the $20k gone just building it, installing it, tuning it. $15k-$18K?

AS one who has ended up spending double for such an enterprise I wish it was not so. If you can get 550hp at the wheels, get the car to have some traction, and it's not a complete pig (3800 lbs) then you should be in the high 10's. As stated, you can do a much more affordable engine build (used LQ4-$2500) in the 450hp range with low compression and forged internals and push 15 psi through it, it's a doable deal for a realistic $10K since you have the blower. It's certainly a more drivable deal with higher compression and less boost, but I think your dollar per hp goes up.

Good luck and be prepared to say...I NEVER dreamed it would cost this much or take so friggen long, and break so many parts along the way. But ya gotta do something with the $ anyway, and you do have a year. I'm not trying to discourage ya, but it does take alot of dough to get where you want to go, safely.

The cheapest route-Sell the blower. 500hp 10.5+cr engine with forged parts. 200shot with GOOD tune. Very drivable, dependable, everyday car that you can light up at the track (dragstrip). Leaves some $ for suspension/tires for the road course! You ought to be able to use your existing engine?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I say sell the Ceta, use the money along with the 20K and buy a New Z06 with some good tires and a few mods and say hello high 10's.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

now-atomic orange
    2002 SLP M6 SS

Maybe a used Z06. Anew one will break the budget for sure.

Make do with what ya have. Use the existing engine with some forged parts in it and spray it at the track. Least expensive, keeps the car you like.

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    I say sell the Ceta, use the money along with the 20K and buy a New Z06 with some good tires and a few mods and say hello high 10's.
    I love the CETA waaaaat to much to sell it lol... Although i do LOVE the Z06 new and old, i just don't wanna give up the TA.

Quote Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
    Maybe a used Z06. Anew one will break the budget for sure.

Make do with what ya have. Use the existing engine with some forged parts in it and spray it at the track. Least expensive, keeps the car you like.
    Not a huge fan of the bottle. Although i will keep it in mind... I figured this project would be very pricey so i think i need to compile a more indepth list and crunch some more numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
    By no means would I want to rain on your parade, but...I don't see $20K getting it done with what you've got listed, and getting the suspension to hook and the rear end to live, and tires,ect...

I think you can go with a much cheaper setup then the 454lsx and still get where you want to go (in the 10's) and have some $ left to get the car to hookup. I'm guessing that unless you can put the lsx together yourself, you'll have most of the $20k gone just building it, installing it, tuning it. $15k-$18K?

AS one who has ended up spending double for such an enterprise I wish it was not so. If you can get 550hp at the wheels, get the car to have some traction, and it's not a complete pig (3800 lbs) then you should be in the high 10's. As stated, you can do a much more affordable engine build (used LQ4-$2500) in the 450hp range with low compression and forged internals and push 15 psi through it, it's a doable deal for a realistic $10K since you have the blower. It's certainly a more drivable deal with higher compression and less boost, but I think your dollar per hp goes up.

Good luck and be prepared to say...I NEVER dreamed it would cost this much or take so friggen long, and break so many parts along the way. But ya gotta do something with the $ anyway, and you do have a year. I'm not trying to discourage ya, but it does take alot of dough to get where you want to go, safely.

The cheapest route-Sell the blower. 500hp 10.5+cr engine with forged parts. 200shot with GOOD tune. Very drivable, dependable, everyday car that you can light up at the track (dragstrip). Leaves some $ for suspension/tires for the road course! You ought to be able to use your existing engine?
    I'm not taking your opinion as raining on my parade by any means at all....I wanted any and all opinions so i could better decide what i wanted to do... I was originally going to go with a LQ9 408 stroker but i just fell in love with the LSX block and how strong and well built it was so i decided to go with it and increase the displacement.

I was figuring the LSX would be in the range of 10K for the engine with forged internals and installed right from TSP. As far as everything else, like i said i do not want to cut corners but i do side with you 100% when you said "i didnt realize it was ever going to cost this much" and i know we try to plan for it but there's ALWAYS some unforscene problem or something breaks and more money needs to be spent.

But, maybe if i just took another year or two and took my time with the setup and saved the extra dough it would be doable...? I mean it was just wishful thinking about having it done by next summer but im in no rush what so ever for having it built so i can take as much time as i need and slowly order all the parts and assemble them over time. I would ultimately like to have the LSX setup because i will probably have this car forever and might as well do something nice to it and in seeing i own it completely i wanted to really sink my teeth into it...

So, i will be doing more research about all the parts that i will need and what not. But if i start seeing it being some exorbitant price like 40K for the build then i will just go with something smaller and build it from there.

I appreciate everyones help and keep the suggestions coming. I still would like to know more suggestions on the fuel system, other possible internals such as good companies names for the parts, suspension parts, electrical etc so that i could finish compiling this build sheet and see where i stand.

Thanks once again for everyones help!!!

Black
    1998 Trans Am

extremly jealous.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information