ls6 vs gm ls1 vortech heads

This is a discussion on ls6 vs gm ls1 vortech heads within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have 24 hrs to make a decision guys. I have a cracked head and I replacing them as a ...

black on red
    2001 firebird formula

ls6 vs gm ls1 vortech heads

I have 24 hrs to make a decision guys. I have a cracked head and I replacing them as a pair.
    I can choose some ls6 heads with comp dual springs or the gm vortec heads for the ls1.

Yes the job will be done with all the trimmings. I have the 2001 ls1 motor with the ls6 intake and manifold.

Opinions please

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by formulajman View Post
    I have 24 hrs to make a decision guys. I have a cracked head and I replacing them as a pair.
    I can choose some ls6 heads with comp dual springs or the gm vortec heads for the ls1.

Yes the job will be done with all the trimmings. I have the 2001 ls1 motor with the ls6 intake and manifold.

Opinions please
    You would have to be more specific on the vortec heads as the 4.8-6.0 engines came with a variety of castings. If you could tell us the 3 numbers on the side of the head it would be better. However none of the vortec heads will be better than the ls6/ls2 243 casting heads that you metnioned with that in mind i would go with those.

The vortec truck heads are patterned off of the LS6 castings such as the 317's. They have large combustion chambers however to drop compression. Part of the attraction of the real LS6 castings (243's meant for corvettes) are their specifically designed combustion chambers to promote better flame travel and more turbulance. They are better than any of the other "copy" castings that were meant for LS2/6.0 engines. They are somewhat of a confusing subject.

If you have a choice and want a factory casting, I'd go for a set of 243's. Ported and ready to go from Texas Speed seems to be a pretty good bang for your buck. Otherwise I'd look at some aftermarket castings.

black on red
    2001 firebird formula

Red face

I would be removing the 241's to install the 243's how ever would i need a custom tune? The ls6 coolant crossover tube has already been mentioned and I have the necessary bolts and gaskets

Yes a tune would be best. You are bumping compression a 1/2 point, larger intake and exhaust runners. It's going to require a revamp of the fuel and timing tables.

black on red
    2001 firebird formula

Ah I see that would make sense. Thanks guys
    Last edited by formulajman; 01-15-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Thread Information