ls6 heads worth it?

This is a discussion on ls6 heads worth it? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hey guys im running my ls1 with the stock valve train, cam, and heads, and the stock intake at the ...

black
    2004 Pontiac GTO

ls6 heads worth it?

Hey guys im running my ls1 with the stock valve train, cam, and heads, and the stock intake at the moment with LT's, catted mids, and an H-pipe with a custom tune putting out 332rwhp. I was considering upgrading my heads to the 243's. Im not sure on the flow rate but the compression ratio is only like .4 better so im not sure if its completely worth spending the money on a set of 243's plus the head bolts and gaskets. Im completely capable of doing the labor myself but im still trying to get a good bang for my buck.

Thoughts?????

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Ls6 heads flow way better than ls1 heads. The design is much better, some have seen 15 to 30 hp from the head swap alone. In addition if they are ported you can get even more out if them, bought mine for $450 which is pretty good if you ask me.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

+1 agree.

Like Will I got a used set for $400 with sodium valves and currently debating on getting them ported.

It's not that I want to it's how long I have to wait to be able to afford it.....my car is down and I'm in the middle of a engine build so being down a month longer doesn't bother me anymore.

For you I'd recommend doing a heads swap at the same time do a cam. You got to tune for both, so doing at the same time will save you some money in tuning.

black
    2004 Pontiac GTO

well heres the issue with doing a full head and cam swap. im in small town kentucky the nearest tuner is prolly miles away. Id like to be full bolt on with at least a stage 2 clutch before i do a cam any way. i still need an otrcai, intake mani, a matched tb, and id like to have a spintech muffler cause its running with no mufflers right now just two lil ole high flow cats and an h pipe.

Would just doing the 243's really require a new tune? i was hoping to get away with putting them on without doing a tune. the guy who street tuned my car lives in texas.

Navy Blue Metallic

If you are just swapping over to 243's and staying with a stock cam then you are ok. I would recommend checking out TubebyFrost.com

He does some excellant mail order tunes for around $150. Mail it on Monday you'll have it back by Thur/Fri usually.

I as well as quite a few others her have his tune. Great for mild bolt ons. He does full tuning as well but that's not what you currently need.

I recommend getting a LS6 intake if you currently don't have one.

black
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Its an 04 Gto So the Ls1 In It Has The Ls6 Intake stock

Navy Blue Metallic

wasn't sure....

Don't know where you live in Kentucky but there is cincy speed in Cincinnati that is reputable

Thread Information