ls6 heads cam & intake

This is a discussion on ls6 heads cam & intake within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Anyone out there have ls6 heads cam and intake on their ls1 block? I bought my car with the ls6 ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

ls6 heads cam & intake

Anyone out there have ls6 heads cam and intake on their ls1 block? I bought my car with the ls6 cam in it already but it's a 2000 so I have 853 heads and ls1 intake, I really wanna get a set of 243's and ls6 intake but i am iffy about buying a set of heads off eBay or craigslist. What kind of numbers are y'all putting down with this setup? Also would I need different length push rods or would I be able to just bolt the new heads on with my existing lifters and pushrods. Thanks for the advice/info

black
    2001 camaro ss

if your tearing into it anyway u may wanna save a few extra bucks and get some ls6 heads that have been worked. i think Tsp has some CNC'd heads with valves, and springs for just over 1k. stock lifter will work but for 120$ i would just get the ls7 lifters. as far as an hp estimate we would need more info, existing mods, trans type, etc

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yea I've seen those heads it looks like a really good deal but not looking to spend anymore than 500 bucks on some heads, they are one eBay all day long for $400-$500 but it's just really hard to commit to that and not know what those heads have been through, my mods are long tubes with tsp true duals, air lid, ls6 cam, ls7 clutch, msd super conductors and ngk tr 55's and dyne tune. And I ask about the lifters and such cuz I read somewhere that the 243's valves are either a tad longer or shorter I can't remember.
    Last edited by ldurham; 12-27-2011 at 06:49 PM.

black
    2001 camaro ss

for a tighter budget i would say take your money and get your stockers cnc'd. ls1 heads with a good port will perform better than stock 243's. what year ls6 cam is it ? in 02' the ls6 cam has more lift and may require a beefier valve spring than stock. with said new mods and existing mods i would say 415ish with a good tune through the m6.

Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

LS6 cam is very mild and I wouldn't go through the trouble of throwing on some stock 243's(your only looking at 15 hp)...ported is a different story. You lifters and pushrods should be fine if you stay w/ the LS6 cam ...as for power you'll basically be putting down the same numbers as a stock C5 Z06.

Heads/Cam/Intake/Stall.
    404 Rwhp uncorrected @ 6400

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

You make a good point, I'm gunna get some prices from some machine shops around here for porting. I don't know what year ls6 cam is in it, I am the 4th owner of the car and the last haha but I will be happy with 410 whp with what I wanna do

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Yea man just seems like a lot of work for so little gain...If your working w/ a budget have you stock heads ported...I picked up a set of 241's w/ comp springs for 100 bucks, I have a local guy thats going to fully port them....I thought about the LS6 cam but after a lot of research I decided to go bigger. Picked up a low miled G5x2 Cam...so for under a grand im gonna have a pretty sound setup.

With only a $500 budget for LS6 heads, you aren't going to get it done. Used heads may be found for that, but the machine shop work is another $500 easily to get them up to snuff before even thinking about installing them on an engine.
    I've preached this many times but it bears repeating. Anything with just about any amount of mileage on them is going to have valve guide wear, possible valve stem wear, a new set of springs is cheap insurance, new seals also. If there is any valve guide work to be done, a valve job is mandatory, and it's a good idea to have them magged for cracks, and a possible clean up mill to unsure a flat sealing surface.

In the end it's just not worth the price of used heads unless they are practically given to you. You can buy ported LS6 heads from Texas Speed starting at around $1200 that flow nearly 300 cfm. You'll have nearly that in a used set by the time it's all said and done, and still no porting.
    I bought a set of Z06 2003 LS6 heads back in about 2005. They had 30,000 miles on them. I still won't install them on the car without a machine shop checking them over first. They still sit bagged on the shelf.

With all that said, I disagree with most on this site about the LS6 package. The stock LS6's with a good tune have put down anywhere from 370-400 rwhp, some of those are in a power sucking IRS vette too. Awsome little motor that idles smooth and drives like a stocker to put down those kinds of numbers.
    I have a Crane version of the LS6 cam in my wifes car (ground on 112 lsa being the big difference). Hers is a 2000 SS with the 853 heads as you have. I did install an LS6 intake however.
    With just headers installed (stock catback) it's trapping 111+ mph and still gets 30 mpg (and weighs 3750 lbs with me in it). Drives like stock and pulls to 6500 easily (sometimes 6700 )
    I'd like to dyno it at some point for giggles. People around here running the same combo tell me that 360-370 rwhp isn't out of the question though.
    Honestly, I'm happy enough with the car that I left well enough alone. With ported LS6 heads I don't see why it wouldn't trap another 3-4 mph. Not bad for a baby cam.

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Good call on that, completely forgot about the IRS...as for the LS6 cam I knew a few buddies that went w/ that first then ended up upgrading. If you dont do your own work it could get costly, so if your like that w/ your car(which I definately am) I figure do it right the first time...then there's guys that do things and dont get bored of the power, if so the 6 cam might be good for you...

Being primarily just a driver and not a race car is the biggest reason I'm happy with it. Still enough power to run with most anything out there, and my wife drives it most of the time anyway.
    I have faster cars here I can jump in if I feel the need to

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Yea I have a buddy w/ a 700 rwhp terminator that im trying to keep somewhat up to par w/...good thing he cant drive Hahahahaha

NBM
    1998 SS Vert SLP# 0004

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I have a Crane version of the LS6 cam in my wifes car (ground on 112 lsa being the big difference). Hers is a 2000 SS with the 853 heads as you have. I did install an LS6 intake however.
    Firebird- is your SS an m6 or an auto? I'm guessing a higher stall converter would be needed in an A4, yes? Do you remember what all of the specs are on that cam? I'm toying with the idea of doing something with my '98 SS. It's stock and I'd like a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by olson View Post
    Firebird- is your SS an m6 or an auto? I'm guessing a higher stall converter would be needed in an A4, yes? Do you remember what all of the specs are on that cam? I'm toying with the idea of doing something with my '98 SS. It's stock and I'd like a little more.
    It's an M6. If an auto it would need a stall to obstract all the performance out of it, but I could run a stock stall behind it if I really wanted to. I prefer a stall though, even in my other SS that is an auto. I run a 3400 in that with the stock camshaft and love it.
    The cam in the 6 speed is a custom from Vinci made by Crane. It's 210/218 at .050 with .551 lift. (much like an LS6) but it's ground on a 112 LSA instead of the LS6 117 or so. It only has a mild lope when cold (hard to detect) once warmed up it is almost nil and sounds like a stocker and would idle around with a stock stall no problem. Very torquey camshaft down low that pulls nice, and still runs strong to 65-6700.
    I believe the camshaft is still listed and sold by Vinci.

Thread Information