Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

LS6 heads?

This is a discussion on LS6 heads? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Well, suppose I do find a set of LS6 heads and buy them, possibly modify them a little, what would ...

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Well, suppose I do find a set of LS6 heads and buy them, possibly modify them a little, what would be a good cam to go with them?

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by KnightmareWS6 View Post
    Well, suppose I do find a set of LS6 heads and buy them, possibly modify them a little, what would be a good cam to go with them?
    TRex... Thunder Racing orginally stated this cam was designed for primary use on factory heads. AND guys are seeing monster gains off of it. Not sure how things have changed, but....

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

the LS6 heads flow very well on both the intake & exhaust side about 260/220 unported

a 218-233 xxx/xxx lift on a 116 would work and idel imop the best, PM me i have one
    Brand new

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

These are my factory heads

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    TRex... Thunder Racing orginally stated this cam was designed for primary use on factory heads. AND guys are seeing monster gains off of it. Not sure how things have changed, but....
    Not a 100% sure, but I believe that cam is huge. Correct me if I'm wrong
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

Which TR cam you talking about?

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Yeah, the TRex is a pretty big cam, at the time of release, Thunder Racing was saying it was the biggest cam you could go with on a factory LS1 longblock without having to fly-cut the pistons. This was back in early '06 I beleive. These specifications I have listed right here are off TR's website with TRex v.2 Not sure if v.2 means version 2? Maybe they've changed the grind since then, but here is the current one

242/248 - .608/.612 - 110 lsa

And just for the record, guys that have done cam-swaps as of late, a few have had problems with PTV clearance, but most have not. All have said it's not a great cam for daily-driving purposes, but most love the power that it makes, and have stated that they'd DD the car just for that being the only reason
    Last edited by MrMasterCraft; 03-28-2010 at 01:32 PM.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

They were talking about the upwards of 450RWHP off the cam-swap with supporting mods (full exhaust, intake/tb, maf, tune, etc). This was not including heads, as to make it a "cam-only" modification.

And WTF... nobody has anything to comment about on my "factory heads"?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Yeah, the TRex is a pretty big cam, at the time of release, Thunder Racing was saying it was the biggest cam you could go with on a factory LS1 longblock without having to fly-cut the pistons. This was back in early '06 I beleive. These specifications I have listed right here are off TR's website with TRex v.2 Not sure if v.2 means version 2? Maybe they've changed the grind since then, but here is the current one

242/248 - .608/.612 - 110 lsa
    Thats alot of duration and very low LSA....that bitch would lope like a son of a gun

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Thats alot of duration and very low LSA....that bitch would lope like a son of a gun
    Yeah, probably another reason why DD'ing it would be a PITA. Perhaps the cam doesn't support enough vaccuum to run power brakes or power steering? Duno, just going from what I've heard, I'm not running this cam, but have been doing ALOT of research between this, the MS4, and Tsunami

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Here's a better video of this guy's car with a TRex cam

http://www.fquick.com/videos/viewvideo.php?id=6515
    Last edited by MrMasterCraft; 03-28-2010 at 01:42 PM.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Sweet Jesus...... that fXXXer lopes like no other. I bet I could get my car to do that if I pulled a couple wires off

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Sweet Jesus...... that fXXXer lopes like no other. I bet I could get my car to do that if I pulled a couple wires off
    Speaking of which, did you read my post a few weeks back about how my GF called me, telling me my car had blown up?

When the flatbed arrived at the house, and he rolled the car off the back, I started it up to look under the hood and find the passenger side, all the way in the back, coil wire had somehow gotten dis-connected from the coilpack. The metal inside had actually melted and had to buy me a whole new set of wires

Still wondering what could have caused this....

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Speaking of which, did you read my post a few weeks back about how my GF called me, telling me my car had blown up?

When the flatbed arrived at the house, and he rolled the car off the back, I started it up to look under the hood and find the passenger side, all the way in the back, coil wire had somehow gotten dis-connected from the coilpack. The metal inside had actually melted and had to buy me a whole new set of wires

Still wondering what could have caused this....
    Yes I did read it, can't come up with an explanation for how that happened either

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

The vid makes it sound like popcorn popping in the microwave or something. I've seen some videos that get somewhat close to the real sound.
    That would go good with stock LS1 heads?

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

those cams arent DD "Street" cams LMAO, sure you can drive down the street stop and go, forget it

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnboy View Post
    those cams arent DD "Street" cams LMAO, sure you can drive down the street stop and go, forget it
    Really? Some people say it is, some say it isnt. What is it really? Why would it be or not be good on the street? This car will be taken to the track some so it's not just for street use. And it will be a DD for a little while but only for a few months while I either save up to buy or fix my current DD.

I'm coming up with a parts list of what all I'm going to do with it. This wont all be done at once but over time since I'm working with a poor college kid's budget lol with a minimum wage job. Then I guess that would be the point of reference for what would be good to do with the car.

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

Get it and find out , I have a lot of experance with LSX cars, those are to big for street cam , poor idel, stalling , stinking , ect to me thats not a DD street cam

Get it and find out , I have a lot of experance with LSX cars, those are to big for street cam , poor idel, stalling , stinking , ect to me thats not a DD street cam
    Eh, with a good tune it can be. I run that duration profile camshaft in a 454, also on a 110 but with .650+ lift.
    I can easily daily drive the car, it's very docile in traffic, but I also have a few more cubes to soak up that camshaft.

It does not however make enough vacuum to support the power brakes, even with an extra reservoir. I had to switch over to hyrdaboost.

the LS6 heads flow very well on both the intake & exhaust side about 260/220 unported

a 218-233 xxx/xxx lift on a 116 would work and idel imop the best, PM me i have one
    Brand new
    Holy moly that's a huge spread on duration. That's more suited for a pair of cylinder heads that suck on the exhaust side,,,,or maybe someone that wants to run stock exhaust manifolds and really needs the extra help to get it out.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information