Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

LS6 heads?

This is a discussion on LS6 heads? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by garygnu65 AFR dose make a 215 head, Tony Mamo did a dyno using them on a 383.I ...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by garygnu65 View Post
    AFR dose make a 215 head,Tony Mamo did a dyno using them on a 383.I was looking only at TFS 220 fast as cast .some PRC stage 2 5.3 heads have 220cc intake runners.chrs1313 did a write up on using a fast intake with tfs 215 heads.he used thick strips of rubber to rise the intake and align the port floors.Ron at vengeance mentioned this misalignment problem to me also.
    I have heard good shit about this guy

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

AFR dose make a 215 head,Tony Mamo did a dyno using them on a 383.I was looking only at TFS 220 fast as cast .some PRC stage 2 5.3 heads have 220cc intake runners.chrs1313 did a write up on using a fast intake with tfs 215 heads.he used thick strips of rubber to rise the intake and align the port floors.Ron at vengeance mentioned this misalignment problem to me also.

How did the AFR's do??? what do they flow? any alignment problems with them?

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

How did the AFR's do??? what do they flow? any alignment problems with them?

I always liked the AFR products,

AFR makes a great cylinder head. I run a set on a BBC. Just make sure they send them with correct valve springs....That was a $2,000 mistake on their part with no compensation. Left a bad taste in my mouth after that.
    I'd probably still use another set, but go about it in a different manor.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Would modding my stock LS1 heads with new valves, springs, lifters, rockers, etc. be a good idea to go with a new cam if I did that? Would it be more cost efficient? And maybe take it a step further and get the heads ported?

Quote Originally Posted by KnightmareWS6 View Post
    Would modding my stock LS1 heads with new valves, springs, lifters, rockers, etc. be a good idea to go with a new cam if I did that? Would it be more cost efficient? And maybe take it a step further and get the heads ported?
    If you are doing lifters, the heads have to come off anyway. At that point you have to decide if all that work is worth sticking stock heads back on....

Springs and pushrods are going to be a necessity with a cam swap anyway. I also prefer roller tipped rockers at that time. But it's up to you.

To get the heads ported would depend on several things. Would it be a reputable shop?? Doesn't take much to ruin a set of heads.
    Another thing to consider,,,,,New valves, springs, and probably guides and seals are going to be needed on used heads which adds to cost not including porting. By the time you are done, you can tie up $1,500-$2,000 or more (easily) in a set of heads if done correctly.

You can buy off the shelf CNC ported heads for that kind of money, usually new castings with everything brand new. The only time I've found it cost effective to rebuild a set of original heads were for a numbers matching restoration. Otherwise there are just too many good options out there in the aftermarket.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    If you are doing lifters, the heads have to come off anyway. At that point you have to decide if all that work is worth sticking stock heads back on....

Springs and pushrods are going to be a necessity with a cam swap anyway. I also prefer roller tipped rockers at that time. But it's up to you.

To get the heads ported would depend on several things. Would it be a reputable shop?? Doesn't take much to ruin a set of heads.
    Another thing to consider,,,,,New valves, springs, and probably guides and seals are going to be needed on used heads which adds to cost not including porting. By the time you are done, you can tie up $1,500-$2,000 or more (easily) in a set of heads if done correctly.

You can buy off the shelf CNC ported heads for that kind of money, usually new castings with everything brand new. The only time I've found it cost effective to rebuild a set of original heads were for a numbers matching restoration. Otherwise there are just too many good options out there in the aftermarket.
    Oh. I was hoping that it would be a lot cheaper to just rebuild the ones I have. I cant afford to be spending that much money right now, lol.

Oh. I was hoping that it would be a lot cheaper to just rebuild the ones I have. I cant afford to be spending that much money right now, lol.
    Well, mileage and what you want done to your heads would determine money needed to be spent. It's one of those deals where you would have to take them off, send them out to be checked for guide clearances, valve wear, etc....
    If it's 70,000 miles or more I'd more than likely plan to spend money on guide replacement, which means a new valve job too. Maybe new valves if stem wear is excessive. If you want bigger valves, that's even more money. If you want them ported by someone reputable, that's not cheap either.

So by the time you are finished, depending on what you needed, you could easily be at or past the cost of a new casting ready to go.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Damn. Well is there anything I can do with the stock heads for now? I mean, I really cant afford to be dropping 2k on heads. But I do want them to perform better than stock.

Not really, without spending some bread.

In stock form they are decent heads. 15 degree valve angles and around 200cc intake runners. With the right cam they can still make some power. There are alot of cam only LS1's out there in the 11's and putting down 400+ hp at the rear wheels.

If you are persistant and search around you can find used LS6 heads cheap at the swap meets.

I picked up a set of 243's about 3 years back off of an 03 Z06 that was supposed to have about 30,000 miles on it. Gave $200 for the set complete.
    However they have been sitting on the shelf ever since. I won't stick them on without first sending them to a reputable machine shop to check for guide wear, warpage, cracks, etc. etc...

So I'll still have to shove some money in them. I've seen other sets at various swap meets for around $300 or so. But paying anymore than that would not be cost effective considering the things I've mentioned.

red
    2000TA

PRC stage 1 LS6 heads at Texas Speed for a good price,and good valve train combos.I can't recall the AFR 215 flow numbers,you might find the thread in the dyno section at LS1TOKE.Tony Mamo put alot of work into this engine build,intake was port matched to the heads.just google AFR 215 heads/dyno results.

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

The AFR 215's Flow really good over 300cfm at .550 lift and 315 + cfm @ .600 lift , intake side

On the exhaust side they flow 245cfm @ .600 lift, these are great #'s

My 241's flow 300 at .600 lift (intake) and around 220-225 exhaust , i not really sure about the intake side but if they were 243 heads they would be more around 235cfm,

With my procharger/methanol injection set up the better flow on the exhaust side of the AFR 215's (245cfm) would defently benifite my combo.

I am running a "tight" exhaust system considering my set up and RWHP that i am making
    (741 RWHP), FLP 1.75 long tubes and only a 2.5" Y pipe(no cats) into the single 3" stock SLP SS duel duel exhaust .

I designed my cam with more on the exhaust side to benifite and optimize the methanol injection Fuel, Methanol cools "Everything" off, besides intake temps, also combustion and exhaust Temps, cooler exhaust Temps move slower, so better exhaust port flowing heads & exhaust system would pick me up a decient amount of power , i am guessing 40-50 HP on the conservative side.

The best thing that i did to optimize my combo was the custom grind cam i am running. The camshaft and perfect Blower combo to cyclinder size ratio gives me the 740 RWHP at only 15.1 PSI

red
    2000TA

would running E-85 cost more?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnboy View Post
    The AFR 215's Flow really good over 300cfm at .550 lift and 315 + cfm @ .600 lift , intake side

On the exhaust side they flow 245cfm @ .600 lift, these are great #'s

My 241's flow 300 at .600 lift (intake) and around 220-225 exhaust , i not really sure about the intake side but if they were 243 heads they would be more around 235cfm,

With my procharger/methanol injection set up the better flow on the exhaust side of the AFR 215's (245cfm) would defently benifite my combo.

I am running a "tight" exhaust system considering my set up and RWHP that i am making
    (741 RWHP), FLP 1.75 long tubes and only a 2.5" Y pipe(no cats) into the single 3" stock SLP SS duel duel exhaust .

I designed my cam with more on the exhaust side to benifite and optimize the methanol injection Fuel, Methanol cools "Everything" off, besides intake temps, also combustion and exhaust Temps, cooler exhaust Temps move slower, so better exhaust port flowing heads & exhaust system would pick me up a decient amount of power , i am guessing 40-50 HP on the conservative side.

The best thing that i did to optimize my combo was the custom grind cam i am running. The camshaft and perfect Blower combo to cyclinder size ratio gives me the 740 RWHP at only 15.1 PSI
    Judging by what you posted, the AFR's have an 82% I/E ratio which is about perfect. Your ported 241's have roughly 70-75% I/E ratio. Which is to be expected since the exhaust ports on the 241's are weak to begin with compared to LS6 (243) heads.

Definately leaving some on the table, but it's working.

That 3 inch factory SLP dual/dual exhaust is a decent system and comparable to any other 3 inch single system on the market, but at your power level you could use something larger for sure.
    Interesting it's making the power that it does with the current system though.

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

I just looked them up The 215's flow 314 @ .600 intake and 245 @ .600

The AFR 225's flow 315 @ .600 intake and 237 @ .600

I like the sound of the AFR 215's

they are designed for 4.0" LS2 bore but will also work on a 3.9 LS1 bore , i guess it would be like installing a set of 6.0 L truck heads on a LS1/LS6 the 10.1 to 1 compression will drop a bit.

I think the LS1 241's combustion chambers are about 67cc so the 215's with smaller 64 cc combustion chambers would = about the same compression , but not sure,

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

On AFR's sight the chart sais 68 cc's , that sucks , this would drop my compression

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    If you are persistant and search around you can find used LS6 heads cheap at the swap meets.

I picked up a set of 243's about 3 years back off of an 03 Z06 that was supposed to have about 30,000 miles on it. Gave $200 for the set complete.
    However they have been sitting on the shelf ever since.
    I won't stick them on without first sending them to a reputable machine shop to check for guide wear, warpage, cracks, etc. etc...

So I'll still have to shove some money in them. I've seen other sets at various swap meets for around $300 or so. But paying anymore than that would not be cost effective considering the things I've mentioned.
    Wanna sell 'em to me??? LOL, j/k.

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

i have a set of LS2 LS6 heads, only 4,000 miles on them ,

Wanna sell 'em to me??? LOL, j/k.
    Ha,,,it depends on what transpires for me. At the time I lived in Ohio and used a friends machine shop part time. I had more connections, so it was no big deal to go through the heads and freshen them up. Now that I've moved to AZ, I've lost all those fringe benefits.
    I've been contemplating a camshaft for my 02 SS, which is what the heads were intended for. But at this point I may just do cam only and skip heads all together.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information