Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ls2 Heads On Ls1 PLEASE HELP

This is a discussion on Ls2 Heads On Ls1 PLEASE HELP within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; LOL,,,it seems GM keeps improving on the heads every year. With all the changes in part numbers, designs, engines etc....I ...

LOL,,,it seems GM keeps improving on the heads every year. With all the changes in part numbers, designs, engines etc....I can see where it would just be much easier to call all the heads from the LS2 to the trucks to the cadillac an LS6 head to simplify things I guess.

I would say the castings (ie port shapes and volumes) are close enough to warrant that statement. Only catch would be the casting numbers keep changing every year it seems, and combustion chambers would have differences.

Anyone have an actual cylinder head casting number off of an LS2 05-06 GTO motor?
    As you mentioned Orion,,,,you are correct that the heads I mentioned for the trucks are a popular swap to lower the compression for a blower application. I would guess the LS2 GTO would have a slightly tighter chamber to bring the compression up to 10:1?

I say that as a question because it's funny checking through the books,,,,,looking at these 317 heads (2001) and the 035 heads (2002 and up) they are both listed as 71.06 CC's on the combustion chambers,,,,yet the compression ratios are different on the 364 ci motor from 2001 and 2002.
    In 2001 it's listed as 9.4:1 but in 2002 it's listed as 10.1:1 so if the combustion chambers didn't change in this instance where did the extra come from? Has there been a piston redesign at some point?

Have I made things worse now? lol.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    are you guys talking about L92 heads?
    wow... i am a retard...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

They are LS6 heads which are 243 heads.

mine...

Is that a pick of your 99 with the LS6 swap? If so I would understand the 243 heads on that.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Is that a pick of your 99 with the LS6 swap? If so I would understand the 243 heads on that.

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    On a stock SS prolly see maybe 10hp. Bigger cam, headers, those numbers go up.
    I agree.

Black
    2000 SS

well you guys made me feel very stupied. i think if im going to spend a dollar in any heads, i will go ahead and get the CNC heads. thank you guys so much

98 Formula
    06 duramax

no reason at all to feel stupid. The only way you figure this stuff out is by asking around and getting input from people that have been there. That's what makes this site a great tool when it comes to working on your car. You can actually talk to people that have been there and done that.
    You could hit your goals with those heads but I think you'd be leaving some HP on the table. Heads is where power is made so really if you're gonna skimp on parts that's the very last place you'd want to skimp. That being said a budget is a budget and the bad thing about a budget is it controls what parts you end up with. There are really 2 types of builds. HP builds and budget HP builds. Work within your financial means but buy the best heads you can afford. With the heads I bought I spent about half of what I would've spent going with AFR's, the downside is I'd never make AFR type HP with these heads. I knew that going in but my wife would've gave birth to a small bus if I bought AFR heads and she found out how much they cost so I sacrificed some HP to save my wife the labor pains of passing a bus.

Black
    2000 SS

lol thanks man your very helpfull. i have about $3,000 to spend and that is for everything. i have an a4. so thats the TC, headers, y pipe, ls6 man. cam. heads. ect. so i have to watch where i spend my money. and if i should even go the head route right know?

no reason at all to feel stupid. The only way you figure this stuff out is by asking around and getting input from people that have been there. That's what makes this site a great tool when it comes to working on your car. You can actually talk to people that have been there and done that.
    You could hit your goals with those heads but I think you'd be leaving some HP on the table. Heads is where power is made so really if you're gonna skimp on parts that's the very last place you'd want to skimp. That being said a budget is a budget and the bad thing about a budget is it controls what parts you end up with. There are really 2 types of builds. HP builds and budget HP builds. Work within your financial means but buy the best heads you can afford. With the heads I bought I spent about half of what I would've spent going with AFR's, the downside is I'd never make AFR type HP with these heads. I knew that going in but my wife would've gave birth to a small bus if I bought AFR heads and she found out how much they cost so I sacrificed some HP to save my wife the labor pains of passing a bus.
    Very well put Orion,,,,and very funny too. We have to keep the wives happy so we can keep our toys,,,,right? Have a happy holidays.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Very well put Orion,,,,and very funny too. We have to keep the wives happy so we can keep our toys,,,,right? Have a happy holidays.
    same to you my friend

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

If I were you with $3k, I'd do a full rear supension, cam package from TSP, and either a Vig or Yank converter. No less than 3600 period.

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

LOL,,,it seems GM keeps improving on the heads every year. With all the changes in part numbers, designs, engines etc....I can see where it would just be much easier to call all the heads from the LS2 to the trucks to the cadillac an LS6 head to simplify things I guess.

I would say the castings (ie port shapes and volumes) are close enough to warrant that statement. Only catch would be the casting numbers keep changing every year it seems, and combustion chambers would have differences.

Anyone have an actual cylinder head casting number off of an LS2 05-06 GTO motor?
    As you mentioned Orion,,,,you are correct that the heads I mentioned for the trucks are a popular swap to lower the compression for a blower application. I would guess the LS2 GTO would have a slightly tighter chamber to bring the compression up to 10:1?

I say that as a question because it's funny checking through the books,,,,,looking at these 317 heads (2001) and the 035 heads (2002 and up) they are both listed as 71.06 CC's on the combustion chambers,,,,yet the compression ratios are different on the 364 ci motor from 2001 and 2002.
    In 2001 it's listed as 9.4:1 but in 2002 it's listed as 10.1:1 so if the combustion chambers didn't change in this instance where did the extra come from? Has there been a piston redesign at some point?

Have I made things worse now? lol.
    What do the 317's flow???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information