Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

LS2 heads on 2001 LS1

I was looking at buying a set of LS6 heads but they are priced way to high for me right now, then I looked at a set of LS2 heads, the price is doable for me but I don't know what they would do for me. does anyone know what they do on a stock LS1 with SLP loudmouth cat back and a ram air box?

Black
    2000 TA

I have a set of those heads too just havent put them on yet so I am not much of a help sorry.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by texinteg View Post
    I have a set of those heads too just havent put them on yet so I am not much of a help sorry.
    if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the set?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

LS2 heads =243 heads = LS6 heads

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    LS2 heads =243 heads = LS6 heads
    so I can expect the same power from them?

Black
    2000 TA

Freebie.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Freebie.
    damn thats lucky

Black
    2000 TA

Left overs from a custom build for a customer. The customer didnt want them so I took $100 off his bill. Guess they cost me $100 and they werent free.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Left overs from a custom build for a customer. The customer didnt want them so I took $100 off his bill. Guess they cost me $100 and they werent free.
    i would gladly pay $100 for a set, cheapest I've found is $297 each for fully assemblied ones

Black
    2000 TA

If I do another build in there near future I will keep you in mind.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

If I do another build in there near future I will keep you in mind.
    sweet man, thanks

98 Formula
    06 duramax

keep your eyes peeled in the for sale sections at the LS2 sites. I see some go for ~$400 a set complete. You'll want to upgrade the springs in whatever set you get.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

keep your eyes peeled in the for sale sections at the LS2 sites. I see some go for ~$400 a set complete. You'll want to upgrade the springs in whatever set you get.
    so do they give you as much of a gain as LS6 heads, i've heard 30hp from LS6, is that right?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

they're the same heads.... I don't know about 30 rwhp though. I'm sure you'd see some gains but not sure if it'd be quite that much. Ideally you'd want to have those heads ported and larger valves put in but a budget can be a major hang up sometimes. Patriot heads are a good budget head that flow really well. Have you thought about saving a few bucks and holding out a little while and going with a ported aftermarket head with larger valves? I saw someone selling stage 3 heads in the for sale section here for $500. You can save a ton of money buying used stuff.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

they're the same heads.... I don't know about 30 rwhp though. I'm sure you'd see some gains but not sure if it'd be quite that much. Ideally you'd want to have those heads ported and larger valves put in but a budget can be a major hang up sometimes. Patriot heads are a good budget head that flow really well. Have you thought about saving a few bucks and holding out a little while and going with a ported aftermarket head with larger valves? I saw someone selling stage 3 heads in the for sale section here for $500. You can save a ton of money buying used stuff.
    yeah i've been thinking about alot of things, I've only had my car about a month and i don't really know much about internals, and i know alittle about bolt ons so i'm trying to do some research on what i want, my goal is to keep the car as street freindly as possible and hopefully run mid to low 12s on street tire or DRs

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I have done some looking into getting a set of 243 castings for my car. Almost everyone that I have talked to says to not bother, what I have been told it more like 12 RWHP gain, which is significant but other things would need to come first before I spend so much for that kind of gain.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

mid to low 12's is a pretty easy goal to meet. Since you're new to the LS1 mod world the best advice I could give you right now is to read as much as you can and decide exactly what you want before you buy the first part. Probably one of the most important things is to spend some time thinking about the PCM and what you're gonna do with it after a few mods. Mid-low 12's means that whatever mods you do you're gonna have to get it tuned at some point. Have a plan in place to get a good tune for the car. I see way to many people with mods and no idea how the PCM side of the car should be handled.
    I would recommend starting with long tubes and all the bolt ons. You already have an LS6 intake since you have an 01. Do those mods along with some good tires and go to the track. I think you'll be surprised at what you can get out of the car with just simple bolt ons and headers.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

mid to low 12's is a pretty easy goal to meet. Since you're new to the LS1 mod world the best advice I could give you right now is to read as much as you can and decide exactly what you want before you buy the first part. Probably one of the most important things is to spend some time thinking about the PCM and what you're gonna do with it after a few mods. Mid-low 12's means that whatever mods you do you're gonna have to get it tuned at some point. Have a plan in place to get a good tune for the car. I see way to many people with mods and no idea how the PCM side of the car should be handled.
    I would recommend starting with long tubes and all the bolt ons. You already have an LS6 intake since you have an 01. Do those mods along with some good tires and go to the track. I think you'll be surprised at what you can get out of the car with just simple bolt ons and headers.
    '01s have a LS6 intake? well i'm glad i didn't buy the one i was looking at, thanks, i guess i have alot of reading to do

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by colesherman86 View Post
    '01s have a LS6 intake? well i'm glad i didn't buy the one i was looking at, thanks, i guess i have alot of reading to do
    that's why it's important to do some reading early on or ask a bunch of questions. There's usually no shortage of people here willing to offer advice. I would just start pricing out longtubes,catback, and bolt ons now.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

that's why it's important to do some reading early on or ask a bunch of questions. There's usually no shortage of people here willing to offer advice. I would just start pricing out longtubes,catback, and bolt ons now.
    the cars already got a SLP loudmouth cat back and a full func. ram air kit with a K&N filter so i have a start on bolt on i guess, and yes i'm glad i got on the site cause you guys have already saved me from a few mistakes

Thread Information