Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

LS1 w/TFS heads & H.S.R.R.'s-pushrod rubbing head!

This is a discussion on LS1 w/TFS heads & H.S.R.R.'s-pushrod rubbing head! within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 9t8z28 I also found 2 broken Harland Sharp rockers. One has a broken pedestal and the other ...

  1. #21
    I like turtles GTP231's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Corn and Soybean fields
    Posts
    5,397

    Gray/ White
    10 Impreza 83 Thunderturd

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I also found 2 broken Harland Sharp rockers. One has a broken pedestal and the other has a broken center shaft.
    Get your money back. Stock rockers are 1.7 ratio so you really aren't gaining anything by switching them out

  2. #22
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Get your money back. Stock rockers are 1.7 ratio so you really aren't gaining anything by switching them out
    I have 1.7 in it now. It is required that you use roller rockers with most aftermarket heads nowadays, especially TFS & AFR.

  3. #23
    I like turtles GTP231's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Corn and Soybean fields
    Posts
    5,397

    Gray/ White
    10 Impreza 83 Thunderturd

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I have 1.7 in it now. It is required that you use roller rockers with most aftermarket heads nowadays, especially TFS & AFR.
    Never heard that before. Never had a problem with AFRs and stock rockers before

  4. #24
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Never heard that before. Never had a problem with AFRs and stock rockers before
    Stock heads have powdered metal guides, most aftermarkets have bronze. the bronze seals better but they require a roller rocker so that they do not get so much friction on the valve. Look it up. You may not have had problems, but they are recommended and you can void the warranty

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    philly area
    Age
    34
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Never heard that before. Never had a problem with AFRs and stock rockers before
    You need an aftermarket rocker with trickflows. Valve train geometry isnt right with stock rockers.


    Glad you got it figured out brandon.
    Non Sponsors

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    165

    Mag Red
    2002 Vette

    How are you tightening the rockers? You cannot follow the stock procedure with the HS rockers. If you did, this may be the root of your problem with the rocker.

  7. #27
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
    How are you tightening the rockers? You cannot follow the stock procedure with the HS rockers. If you did, this may be the root of your problem with the rocker.
    I already explained the precedure that I used. You must run them down evenly and then torque them to 22 ft. lbs.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    165

    Mag Red
    2002 Vette

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I already explained the precedure that I used. You must run them down evenly and then torque them to 22 ft. lbs.
    Saw that, but did you rotate the motor so each cylinder was in its firing position such that both lifters were on the cam base circle when the rockers were tightened?

  9. #29
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
    Saw that, but did you rotate the motor so each cylinder was in its firing position such that both lifters were on the cam base circle when the rockers were tightened?
    Yes I did.

  10. #30
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Well I got the car all back together on Saturday. It started right up and I got a light tap for about 2 minutes.

    The car has so much more power on the bottom end and pulls even harder on the top end. Hopefully I will get it retuned on Wednesday.

  11. #31
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    I just got back from Race Proven Motorsports. Once again, Fran did an awesome job with the tune. I gained 56 rwhp and 38 rwtq. So that puts me at 486 rwhp and 458 rwtq. Pretty good gains for a set of heads on a stock LS1 with a Procharger. The car pulls so much harder from down low and it doesn't seem to want to stop at the top of the band! The torque barely drops after its peak.

    Anyway, after B.S.-in with Fran for a while, I gotta have more power! So now its time for a cam and I'll be back for another tune!

    Before (stock heads)


    After w/ (Trick Flow heads)
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 11-03-2008 at 07:17 PM.

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    philly area
    Age
    34
    Posts
    146
    Glad you are happy... You should have did a cam in the first place and saved your self the tune money.

  13. #33
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by Frans96ss View Post
    Glad you are happy... You should have did a cam in the first place and saved your self the tune money.
    Thats alright! I am impatient!

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    philly area
    Age
    34
    Posts
    146
    Also remember you picked up 60rwhp and lost 3 psi boost...

  15. #35
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by Frans96ss View Post
    Also remember you picked up 60rwhp and lost 3 psi boost...
    So it's time for an 8 rib?

  16. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    74

    white
    1993 gmc typhoon

    smaller pulleys, the heads flow that much better

  17. #37
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Where can I purchase smaller pulleys? I am pretty sure that mine is a 3.5"

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    philly area
    Age
    34
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Where can I purchase smaller pulleys? I am pretty sure that mine is a 3.5"

    Riechard Racing... Get one of thier pulleys... they are nice. if you get a 3 inch it will give you about 5 more psi.

  19. #39
    Nice to see some aftermarket performance parts companies stepping up. Too many these days just don't care once the sale has been made.

    I can't believe you went throught the trouble of installing heads and didn't put a cam in it!

  20. #40
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    Nice to see some aftermarket performance parts companies stepping up. Too many these days just don't care once the sale has been made.

    I can't believe you went throught the trouble of installing heads and didn't put a cam in it!
    It is not a big deal to me. I work on my cars as a hobby. No job is ever to big.

    2nd of all, I pulled it apart to fix some lifters that were ready to grenade. And at the same time, I figured that if I was gonna pull the heads off, I might as well install better heads. Keep in mind that I don't have alot of money and THIS IS A DAILY DRIVER.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. So my friend blew his head gasket, rebuild or new heads?
    By eddielb in forum Western Members
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 11:34 AM
  2. Corvette LS Cylinder Heads - It's All in Your Head
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Corvette
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-09-2010, 08:56 AM
  3. Bent Pushrod, head damage, need opinions pls
    By Pushead in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 08:53 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •