LS1 a throw away?

This is a discussion on LS1 a throw away? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Alright, some dumbshit posted on this other forum that he wouldnt give the asking price a guy had on a ...

LS1 a throw away?

Alright, some dumbshit posted on this other forum that he wouldnt give the asking price a guy had on a B4C camaro because it had 133,xxx miles on a throw away motor (LS1). I ripped into the guy telling him what a dumbass he really was. Am i right or wrong, but the LS1 can be sleeved and bored many times, correct?

Cobra, Z28, GN, F250

Ok, I'm confused....is there a hole in the side of the block, or is it a running, high mileage engine?

-Will

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

sounds like a running engine to me. i'd tell the guy he's a dumbass too. i have 180k on mine. it's all in how well the engine is maintained, and if it's beaten relentlessly with FI, Nos, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by 71_bigblocknova View Post
    Alright, some dumbshit posted on this other forum that he wouldnt give the asking price a guy had on a B4C camaro because it had 133,xxx miles on a throw away motor (LS1). I ripped into the guy telling him what a dumbass he really was. Am i right or wrong, but the LS1 can be sleeved and bored many times, correct?
    Well I understand where the guy is coming from. I don't care much for the aluminum block either. Mainly because it cannot be bored easily. With over 100,000 miles on the clock,,,yes sometime in the future it will need a rebuild,,,and unless you want to spend big time labor costs to put 8 sleeves in the block and then bore it,,,,then yes the LS1 can be considered a throw away motor.

I personally don't like the idea of having to sleeve a motor,,,that used to be reserved for saving high dollar matching number blocks in a high dollar muscle car,,,,so it does seem strange to me to be common practice to rebuild an LS1 motor nowadays,,,,not to mention all 8 just for a rebuild,,,,sheesh.
    Then finding a shop that can do the process properly. Most shops will tell you if the engine is destined to go back into full time street duty they don't recommend it due to coolant sealing problems on down the road.

If and when it comes time to refresh my LS1,,,,yes I will scrap it and just go straight for a new LS2 cast iron truck block from GM for a measily $600. I can use it the first time with it's standard bore,,,,then when the time comes years down the road for another refresh,,,,it can simply be bored another .030 over just like the old days, and it's way cheaper than sleeving,, I will definately get my $600 worth out of that block.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

He's talking about if the motor can be punched out. I *think* dart was making sleeves for these but not real sure on it. I know the tolerances are very tight so there's not much room to punch it out. I'm also not sure exactly how dart was securing the sleeves. In other words... I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure that sleeves were being made, I'm just not sure on how far you can punch it. IMO the guy wasn't that far off base. He's wrong in his assumption of the mileage though. The LS1 is a damn durable motor....even at high mileage if it was maintained well. I would take that engine and stroke it and call it a day.

No, there was no hole in the block. I'd have to say the LS1 is a great motor, you really never hear anything bad about them. Plus, a lightweight aluminum motor, that rocks. From what i've seen and heard, as long as it "stepped", the sleeve wont come out of place and will be just fine. I guess i dont know how many times it can be done, but it seems like a viable option besides replacing the entire motor.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you'd have to look at costs then because short blocks really aren't very expensive.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

the 97-98 motors couldn't be bored no more than .005". basically a clean up hone. the 99 and up motors can be bored .010" (3.905").

to get the sleeves out require cutting them out. you can buy motors cheaper than having them resleeved.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Darton sells a good sleeve kit but it isn't cheap 1200 for ust the sleeves. Then you have to have the whole deck cut out. But if you just had to have up to a 4.25 in bore in an LS1 block its the only way to go. I could do it in my LS1 even though the rod knocked a hole in the sleeve. But can't muster the guts to spend 2K or more for just a block to say I have a 400+ CI LS1. Lingenfelter sells a Darton sleeved block for about 2500.

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    Darton sells a good sleeve kit but it isn't cheap 1200 for ust the sleeves. Then you have to have the whole deck cut out. But if you just had to have up to a 4.25 in bore in an LS1 block its the only way to go. I could do it in my LS1 even though the rod knocked a hole in the sleeve. But can't muster the guts to spend 2K or more for just a block to say I have a 400+ CI LS1. Lingenfelter sells a Darton sleeved block for about 2500.
    Hence the reasoning behind saying the LS1 is a throwaway motor. It's very hard to justify the cost of resleeving when you are near the cost of a new GM LSX block that is capable of producing over 450 cubes,,,and no sleeving required.

You are better off dumping the LS1 and working with something more rebuilder friendly. Plenty of better options out there now, With GM's new block and the aftermarket stepping up, it only makes sense.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

LS1 is throw away... i went through 4... i dropped in a LS6 now...

the cost of re-build vs a whole new motor... i took the new motor...

blue/green chameleon
    98 formula

seems like everytime I get online theres talk of another LS motor coming apart...

Monaro Yellow
    1989 R32 Nissan Skyline

no matter what forum you are a member of whether it be Nissan, Mazda Ls1 etc, when you start talking about engines that are 10 years old, it is inevatable that more and more are requireing work. In Australia, Ls1s were being re-built in their new car warranty period as there was piston issues early on. alot of these engines were never re-built correctly as technicions were only given 14 hours to replace pistons and rings. We refered to the builds as rattle gun rebuilds. Some were even done a couple of times. I was lucky enough not to have problems with my 2001, but still sold it with under 60,000km just to be safe. the engine i am building now has about 30,000km on it, hone marks are still evident on the bores, so i guess it is a bit of pot luck. I guess when you start to modify them you shorten the life span.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Any forum that is based around modifying an original engine will have its share of motors flying apart It's part of the process. Mine was error in judgement, letting someone else drive it with a host of other small factors, (LS1's with stock rotating assemblies do not like to be spun past 7k). Discount my story as common place I should have known better from the jump.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

so the block is a throw away, can you buy a ls2 iron block and put all of your ls1 parts on it and be fine? is this correct?

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    so the block is a throw away, can you buy a ls2 iron block and put all of your ls1 parts on it and be fine? is this correct?
    well, the LS2 is a 4.000" bore aluminum block. the LQ4 and LQ9 are the iron block 4.00" bore versions.

the LS2, LQ4, and LQ9 already have the LS1 stroke (3.622") in it.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

thanks for clearing that up, I was going by Firebirdjones was sayin about a 600 dollar ls2 iron block.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    yes I will scrap it and just go straight for a new LS2 cast iron truck block from GM for a measily $600. I can use it the first time with it's standard bore,,,,then when the time comes years down the road for another refresh,,,,it can simply be bored another .030 over just like the old days, and it's way cheaper than sleeving,, I will definately get my $600 worth out of that block

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    thanks for clearing that up, I was going by Firebirdjones was sayin about a 600 dollar ls2 iron block.
    Yes I meant the LQ9 truck block if that helps,,,,,it's a cast iron 4 inch bore block,,,and can be bought new at my cost from GM for a little over $600,,,,it's a steal considering all the other alternatives.
    It accepts the same internals the LS1 and LS2 blocks have,,,,for 364 cubic inch,,,,but I am going to use a stroker assembly with the standard 4 inch bore and get 402 ci,,,,,and later when this motor needs a refresh it is just a simple .030 overbore and new pistons away,,,,hence the 408 everyone is running.

The aluminum blocks just don't appeal to me,,,for the cost,,,and resleeving to deal with,,,turns me off.

I couldn't care less about the slight weight savings,,,your talking 60-80 lbs. at the most,,,,the only reason that should even matter to someone is if they are going class racing in NHRA where weight can be a key factor,,,,,for a street car,,,who cares,,it won't make or break ya.

Thread Information