Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LS1 tech and member questions

This is a discussion on LS1 tech and member questions within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by justincredible099 Guys first off thanks to all of you. Seriously I can't tell you the complete lack ...

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible099 View Post
    Guys first off thanks to all of you. Seriously I can't tell you the complete lack of info I can't tell you enough it is a constant ego battle with these 2.7T guys and info is not on there list.

The issue is that the N/A V8 is under going a big jump in performance. From headers to Superchargers to a super well thought out NOS kit that used one of the NOS greats nitro dave to help develop.

But every time we start talking and going over any info there is always a battle talking over the 2.7T constant misinformation of the aluminum block.

Ive brought up the LS1 before but they just keep preaching that you guys can't make any power and ditch the aluminum blocks cause aluminum blocks and the LS1 owners think there is no power to be had, so basically a bunch of bull Sh1t.

So Im doing a motor tear down on one of the blocks and am getting into the part about the strength and am looking to reference the LS1 as a success story with the aluminum blocks and power WITHOUT forged internals.

All in all the 2.7 wanna be elite just start talking out there a$$ and I'm gathering info knowing that there is going to be a sh1t storm of B.S. from them so Im gathering my facts so when the conversation comes Ill be ready with real info and a strong backing from the LS1 crowd
    cant make any power? there are head/cam setups that hit 500+ n/a to the crank. frost already gave some examples of a FI ls1 with stock bottom end. for the most part alot people ditch the aluminum block because the cost of having an ls1 resleeved is more than getting a new engine. alot of people as of late are buying these cars with higher miles and dont have enough room left on the sleeves to do more than a simple hone to clean the cyl walls and make them round again. alot of people ditch the original block just because it has high miles. the iron 6.0 block is retarded cheap to the point that, unless you absolutely want/need the weight savings of an aluminum block, its just simply more cost effective. we, just like most others in this type of hobby, are funding these projects out of our own pockets. power has and will continue to be made with aluminum blocks, but price is usually the big "x" factor. i personally want more cubes for my future build. the size i want cant be done on the stock ls1 that came with my car due to the fact that it needs to be resleeved. i dont want to spend that kind of money. when a new engine can be bought and forged for the same price if not cheaper. i just simply dont have deep bottomless pockets for a hobby.

Black
    1999 Firebird TA

Irrelevant crap probably, but weren't Porsche 928's all alloy V8's with Nikasil? ... "back then" :v) Quite a lot of std. hp too...

Nearly bought one of those...couldn't find a manual box one...

kr D.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by dermot View Post
    Irrelevant crap probably, but weren't Porsche 928's all alloy V8's with Nikasil? ... "back then" :v) Quite a lot of std. hp too...

Nearly bought one of those...couldn't find a manual box one...

kr D.
    lots of the older ones were magniesium blocks, but had iron cylinder sleeves (1970's)

Black
    1999 Firebird TA

Nooo, 928's were built from (err) early 80's until (I think) 1995. 350 std hp and I'm sure they had unsleeved blocks!

for example: http://members.rennlist.com/pirtle/s4specs.htm

There were a few race 928's.. I don't think they were <too> slow (or cheap...).

-D

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by dermot View Post
    Nooo, 928's were built from (err) early 80's until (I think) 1995. 350 std hp and I'm sure they had unsleeved blocks!

for example: http://members.rennlist.com/pirtle/s4specs.htm

There were a few race 928's.. I don't think they were <too> slow (or cheap...).

-D
    sorry, I missed the "V8" part lol I was thinking of the flat 4s and 6s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information