Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ls1 to LS6 heads

This is a discussion on ls1 to LS6 heads within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by TRANS-DAD Hey joshua, I seen were you post a question about Texas Seed......did you contact them?......... they ...

Quote Originally Posted by TRANS-DAD View Post
    Hey joshua, I seen were you post a question about Texas Seed......did you contact them?......... they sell PRC aftermarket head for a good price...I personaly wouldn't bother w/changing stock LS1 head to stock LS6 head?.....they only flo a little better up top!...& w/a stock cam you'll never see it............just seems like alot of work & money for a few ponnies!!
    LS6 heads in stock form outflow the LS1 head from .200 lift to .400 lift by 20 cfm, and once over that lift they outflow by 30 cfm.
    The intake runners are 10cc larger and the exhaust runners are 5cc larger, and they have the D shaped port to give them a flat floor for a better short turn radius, giving them a better I/E ratio over the LS1 head.
    Not to mention a 1/2 point bump in compression from the smaller combustion chamber. From what I've read the combustion chamber was also redesigned to promote better mixture in the chamber, also giving a slight boost in performance.

I agree though, it's alot of work to go to another stock set of heads. And for the money that you can buy ported heads ready to go it doesn't make much sense anymore to throw stock heads on the car,,,,even though that's what I'm going to do anyway

Red
    98 Trans Am

ok, so 243 heads are good. now what should i look for for valvtrain with it? im really having a hard time deciding whether to go OEM stuff or aftermarket parts. i want a good street mannered car with a good power curve (450hp range)

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

I agree about buying heads from Texas Speed. Go with the LS6 2.5's. Buy the time you're through spending money on the heads, plus money to refurb them, you'll be getting close to an aftermarket priced head. And the aftermarket head will flow much better.

Also, don't forget new bolts for the heads. It isn't recommended that you reuse head bolts.

Black
    99 Silverado

With a stock set of LS6 heads and a 228/232 cam, my 3675# car went 11.4's... they make pretty good power untouched... put a good set of springs on them and put a decent cam in it and you'll reach your goals easily...

GM EFI Tuner
    2002 Trans Am WS6 - 9.41@143mph, #3675, on pump gas and drag radials - sold

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    ok, so 243 heads are good. now what should i look for for valvtrain with it? im really having a hard time deciding whether to go OEM stuff or aftermarket parts. i want a good street mannered car with a good power curve (450hp range)
    i posted this in another section as well..... when i went from my stock heads to ls6 heads and 1.85 rockers i picked up 30hp and 28ft-lbs. thats not without updating the tuning but still it shows the potential. once u have all the boltons and some nice 243's u have the entire foundation you need for a cam change to pick up some serious power. thats my next step.

BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

I agree though, it's alot of work to go to another stock set of heads. And for the money that you can buy ported heads ready to go it doesn't make much sense anymore to throw stock heads on the car,,,,even though that's what I'm going to do anyway [/QUOTE]

Ha Ha Ha!!......yeah well know-n how "firebirdjones" works they won't be stock by the time they go on the car!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TRANS-DAD View Post
    I agree though, it's alot of work to go to another stock set of heads. And for the money that you can buy ported heads ready to go it doesn't make much sense anymore to throw stock heads on the car,,,,even though that's what I'm going to do anyway
    Ha Ha Ha!!......yeah well know-n how "firebirdjones" works they won't be stock by the time they go on the car!!!![/QUOTE]

Shhhhhh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information