Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ls1 to LS6 heads

This is a discussion on ls1 to LS6 heads within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; If i want to just go from ls1 to ls6 what would i need? other than heads of course lol. ...

Red
    98 Trans Am

ls1 to LS6 heads

If i want to just go from ls1 to ls6 what would i need? other than heads of course lol.

Can it be a straight swap or do i need new stems rockers etc?

White
    1998 Trans Am

Straight swap. You might want the LS6 intake also, since the heads will flow better. It would also be a straight swap. Then a tune !

Black
    99 Silverado

^ what he said... definitely get a tune!

Edit - if you have 98 heads now, you will need valve covers and coil brackets as well...

GM EFI Tuner
    2002 Trans Am WS6 - 9.41@143mph, #3675, on pump gas and drag radials - sold

Red
    98 Trans Am

i did plan on gettng the ls6 intake manifold. I did forget that i would need to get the coil brackets and valve cover. those arnt too expensive. the manifold is whats been hard to aquire at a decent price as of latley. So just grabbing some stock LS6 heads will go right on with no serious work going into them right? Im sticking with my stock 98 ls1 cam. I eventully would like to go FI and for mild aps, the stock cam deals with boost fairly well from what i have seen around f-bodys. anything i should do to the heads before just bolting them on? rockers? valves? port and polishing?

White
    1998 Trans Am

Having them ported and a valve job would be nice. If you could snag a Z06 cam, that would be a nice upgrade, then add 1.8 rockers ! I would also go with the 918 valve springs...

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    Having them ported and a valve job would be nice. If you could snag a Z06 cam, that would be a nice upgrade, then add 1.8 rockers ! I would also go with the 918 valve springs...
    id rather stick with stock lenth rockers and stems to start with or at least nothing crazy. one unknown at a time lol. probably will do port and polish. might as well do that since i have LTheaders. alittle more info on springs and rockers though.

Red
    98 Trans Am

also, am i correct if im looking for 243 or 799 heads right? these two heads are the same ls6 heads with different castings numbers?

I take it you don't have a set yet?

I'd look for 243's, but your chances of finding the real deal Z06 versions with hollow stem intake valves and sodium filled exhaust valves are pretty slim nowadays. You'll probably end up with the GTO versions or something of the sort.

Not a bad thing, but either way they'll have miles on em'. I've written about this before, and it's the very reason I have had a set of 243's on the shelf for a few years now.

At the very least I would take them to a reputable machine shop, have them checked for cracks, check the valve guide and valve stem wear, check the deck surface for flatness, imperfections etc...

More than likely with used heads, at the very least if you are lucky you'll end up doing a valve job, new seals, new springs, and possibly a quick pass on the deck surface to true it up.
    If you aren't so lucky you'll find guides worn, or valve stems worn to the point that will require new guides, maybe new valves, all of which requires a valve job when complete.
    In the end it could cost as much as $800 or more if they need alot of work. Starts making those aftermarket heads that are already CNC ported look pretty darn good ya know?

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but necessary before you go diving in.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

If memory serves me correctly the difference between 243's Z06 and 243's GTO is the yellow valve springs which came with the Z06 heads. 99% sure I'm right.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    If memory serves me correctly the difference between 243's Z06 and 243's GTO is the yellow valve springs which came with the Z06 heads. 99% sure I'm right.
    That and the Goats didn't get the lightweight valves.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That and the Goats didn't get the lightweight valves.
    Gotcha on that one, I just was stating how to tell the difference with the naked eye is yellow springs since they both share the 243 stamp. When I bought my heads, I was specific in getting a true Z06 set which had the hollow intake valves and sodium filled exhaust valves to lighten my valvetrain. The damn valves get pricey

Red
    98 Trans Am

alright thanks. ill kep in mind about the 243 heads. what about the 799? wha were those on? and trust me, im not looking at getting 100K+ heads that need work done to them. im looking more for a fresh set that might have seen a couple of hundred or none. left overs as you will. you come across em every so often on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    alright thanks. ill kep in mind about the 243 heads. what about the 799? wha were those on? and trust me, im not looking at getting 100K+ heads that need work done to them. im looking more for a fresh set that might have seen a couple of hundred or none. left overs as you will. you come across em every so often on ebay.
    Don't know anything about the 799 heads, haven't even heard of that casting number before. Maybe someone else that has will chime in.

Keep in mind I wasn't referring to high mileage heads of 100K plus. I've seen valve guides shot in as little as 50,000 miles.
    I bought my 243's with only 30,000 miles on them, and I still won't just throw them on the car without completely going through them and making sure they are right. Hate to go through all the work and money for the swap only to find out something needed attention after the fact.

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

I have 799 heads on my car. They're exactly the same as the 243's (some LS2 vette's in 07 even came with 799 heads because they ran out of 243's). The majority of the 799 heads are found on the HO 5.3 truck engines. How many miles on the motor? If your above 75K (just my $.02) you really should save up and take care of everything while your under there (ls7 lifters, ls2 lifter trays, etc). This way if you decide to do a cam down the road, you don't need to pull the heads again.
    1998 Sebring Silver Camaro SS Convertible
    Cammed, Geared, Stalled and soon to be blown via F1-C
    2009 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT
    Kook's 1 7/8's LTH's and catted X, Pypes A/B, Vararam, Tune
    2007 Black Raven Cadillac Escalade
    Vararam, Leveling Kit, 33's

$ 25,000 panty dropper VENOMOUS's Avatar

2005 Ram SRT-10 QC 8.3l
    1999 FRC Black

Very funny thing about the 799 heads is that they came on trucks, Vettes and GTOs, and I have personally witnessed a few cars with a 243 head on one bank and a 799 on the other. From the factory!! There is something about a different casting process between the 2 but nothing performance wise.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Deezl SS View Post
    I have 799 heads on my car. They're exactly the same as the 243's (some LS2 vette's in 07 even came with 799 heads because they ran out of 243's). The majority of the 799 heads are found on the HO 5.3 truck engines. How many miles on the motor? If your above 75K (just my $.02) you really should save up and take care of everything while your under there (ls7 lifters, ls2 lifter trays, etc). This way if you decide to do a cam down the road, you don't need to pull the heads again.
    just hit 108K yester day. It took me 4 years to go through 40,000 miles when i got the car. i was planing on rebuilding it right

black
    1999 camaro SS

I got a pair of 243's from a guy on eBay for $700 who said he bought them brand new through scoggin dickeys and he had them ported by a reputable local shop in his area and he said he was only selling them because he sold his car and didn't need them.... so by what he says and by what it looks, I have brand new ported heads BUT......I'm still taking them to a shop to have them looked at before I put them on my car. you can never be too sure

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I don't want to start an argument but I'm almost positive 799 heads don't have the lightweight valves like the 243's so then they are inferior. Flow chart might be the same but the lighter the valvetrain the better. If your going over the valves....then no big deal. If about 80% in my thoughts, if anyone has info to prove me wrong....go for it

BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

Hey joshua, I seen were you post a question about Texas Seed......did you contact them?......... they sell PRC aftermarket head for a good price...I personaly wouldn't bother w/changing stock LS1 head to stock LS6 head?.....they only flo a little better up top!...& w/a stock cam you'll never see it............just seems like alot of work & money for a few ponnies!!

$ 25,000 panty dropper VENOMOUS's Avatar

2005 Ram SRT-10 QC 8.3l
    1999 FRC Black

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    I don't want to start an argument but I'm almost positive 799 heads don't have the lightweight valves like the 243's so then they are inferior. Flow chart might be the same but the lighter the valvetrain the better. If your going over the valves....then no big deal. If about 80% in my thoughts, if anyone has info to prove me wrong....go for it
    You are 100% correct! 799s never had the lightweight valves, BUT nor did all 243s. In fact most 243s are NOT the lightweight valve setup. This was only offerered on the CTS-V and the ZO6 Vette. 243 heads themselves are a great power adder due to the chamber design and size. Half a point in compression picks up ponies!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information