Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gold
    98 Z28 LS6

LS1 to LS6 conversion kit question

Hey, I'm converting my LS1 to the infamous LS6 and I wanted to know if anyone has done this yet. How did you get the engine out of the car, how long did it take, and what do you think about your car now...anyother helpful hints would be greatly appreciated....thanks

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Why are you pulling the engine? The LS6 is virtually the same block as the LS1 with LS6 heads and cam. The LS6 block has a different oil galley and and some othge minoe differences but that's about it. Bolt on the LS6 heads, cam and intake and you're there.

Gold
    98 Z28 LS6

In order to put the cam and heads in the engine must be dropped...just wondering how people have don that...

Arctic White
    1999 Z28 M6

the engine does not have to be dropped to install the cam or the heads, do a little more research and find out more about the installation.

Gold
    98 Z28 LS6

Well I know you can't cherry pick the engine because there is no physical room and you're suppose to drop the engine(this comes from Summit Racing) If there is another way i'm open to suggestions. The only other way i could think of though is to pull the entire front of the car off...

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by chevyin55
    Well I know you can't cherry pick the engine because there is no physical room and you're suppose to drop the engine(this comes from Summit Racing) If there is another way i'm open to suggestions. The only other way i could think of though is to pull the entire front of the car off...
    Did you skip over the replies?

You do not need to remove the engine to install a heads and cam package. Swapping to an LS6 block would be a waste unless there is something wrong with your block, or if you were going to put some different rods/pistons in it...

Pulling the engine out would be a big waste of time for heads & cam. Once you remove the radiator/etc you'll see theres plenty of room to pull the cam out, and the heads come off easy with a bit of persuasion as well.

But for the record, the easiest way to get the engine out would be from the bottom. Basically disconnect harnesses/hoses/etc and lift the body off of the front suspension.

Gold
    98 Z28 LS6

I'm not changing the block, I'm just changing the heads and cam. Have you guys changed the heads and cam without dropping the engine then? or are you just guessing...

99 Firebird Formula

I'm not changing the block, I'm just changing the heads and cam. Have you guys changed the heads and cam without dropping the engine then? or are you just guessing...
    I'm not guessing. If you want to waste 20 hours then take the whole engine out. Anyone who has actually done it before, myself included, will tell you it is unnecessary.

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro SS

Seriously you don't have to do it. Here's a writup for the cam change: http://www.houston-f-body.org/tech/LS1Cam/cam.html

After you get the coil packs off the valve covers, you will be surprised how much room there is. It is obvious that the heads would come off with the right tools! Kelly knows what she's talking about. ITS UNNECESSARY.

Bombguy99Z28
    lol... you're going to go through the pain of heads and cam just to put stock 243 heads and an ls6 cam into the car?

Yes, you can do heads and cam just fine in the car. My buddies and I have done it on jackstands in my driveway. Several times.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Bombguy99Z28
    lol... you're going to go through the pain of heads and cam just to put stock 243 heads and an ls6 cam into the car?

Yes, you can do heads and cam just fine in the car. My buddies and I have done it on jackstands in my driveway. Several times.

Gold
    98 Z28 LS6

thanks for the link. that helps. i was just going off of what others had told me. apparently THEY hadnt done it. glad i dont have to drop the whole motor. after seeing the pics and reading the descriptions, doesnt seem to bad.

im going with the LS6 heads and cam cuz i like having good torque right off idle and i like the driveability. figure maybe in the future i will go higher stall speed TC and a little bit wilder cam.

thanks, ill let ya know how it turns out.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Save yourself the trouble and go with the slightly more aggressive cam now.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Bombguy99Z28
    im going with the LS6 heads and cam cuz i like having good torque right off idle and i like the driveability. figure maybe in the future i will go higher stall speed TC and a little bit wilder cam.

thanks, ill let ya know how it turns out.
    You can lead a horse to water...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
    Agreed. With the selection that's out there, I'd honestly consider something a little more aggressive than the LS6....

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro SS

Just wanted to comment on this.... if you're considering the LS6 conversion package that Summit Racing offers. If so, please re-consider.

For the money, consider a Comp "Fast" intake, a Comp-Cam XE grind of 222/224 .566/.568, while keeping you're stock heads (albeit, have them worked over). You'll still maintain the desired street-ability that you're looking for (with a good tune), while making so much more freaking power than that $1,800.00 ($2,200.00 with the intake) LS6 conversion....

Red
    1998 Trans Am

I pulled my engine out from the top with the tranny on it., took about 3-4 hours using a lift and a winch on rails above the lift

Tony V
    hey guys, i'm chevyin55's friend who will be helping him install everything. he told me about this thread he started and some of your suggestions.

i think you guys are starting to convince us. he is sold on the cam, and i told him if was gonna do that, by the time he buys the aftermarket cam, then sells his z06 cam that comes with the kit, he might be better off just going all AM parts.

so i have some more questions for you guys, you seem to know all the little details regarding camaros.

assuming we go the Comp Cams "fast" intake, and the 222/224 cam you mentioned, what other parts would he have to buy? i know the kit came with all the gaskets...would he have to buy all those on his own indiviually? if so, no big deal, just trying to help him get a feel for how much money he's gonna have in everything once it is all said and done.

StreetLethal, i saw you mentioned keeping the stock heads just having them reworked. Is there a shop you guys recommend that is respectable and dependable for doing the port work on the heads? I assume he would keep the stock push-rods? how fast can you safely spin the motor with stock heads (i.e. valve spings) before you need higher rate spings. I checked the operating range of that cam, if i remember correctly it was 1800-6800rpm. How fast do you recommend reving the motor with that cam? Obviously 6800 would be nice, but as i mentioned im not sure if a valve spring kit would be needed or not.

I know this is a lot of questions, and i'm sure ill have more but i gotta go right now. your input is appreciated. thanks.

Gold
    98 Z28 LS6

What cam is that?

Thread Information