Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LS1 to LS2 block swap

This is a discussion on LS1 to LS2 block swap within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by djvaly shoot I'm looking at ls2 block 3k, AFR and cam pkg 3k, install and tune all ...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    shoot I'm looking at ls2 block 3k, AFR and cam pkg 3k, install and tune all
    2k, 2-3days work... oops new ls2 engine + kick ass heads/cam = 8k
    For that kind of money you can get a complete LS2. I would be looking for a used LS2 before I spent $3000 on ANY stock block!!!!!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    He has the LS1 right now.
    Looking for buy an LS2.

You don't want to bore an LS1 or LS2 if you don't have to. Hone is okay though. Unless you want to get really expensive and sleeve it.

You can bore an 6.0L iron block 0.030" over and stroke it for the 408. Most assembled forged 408's run $3800.
    You normally get the 6.0L aluminum (LS2) in the 402 variety. That is normally $4200 or so for a assembled forged shortblock.
    the 3k LS2 block is new and forged so I think it would be a very good base for the AFR and cam upgrade. you are right mate!

White
    1998 Trans Am

yes you can use ls1 stuff for now

I just put a 408 in my trans am and i used heads and cam i had from the stock motor ,patriot heads and a mild cam .I used ls6 intake and stock throttle body and then found out the heads are actually wrong with 3.90 chamber on a 4.030 bore :/ but it still made 426.5 rwhp and 443.9 torque . Patriot says they will make the heads right for 300 bucks ,and with a fast intake my tuner says it should make closer to 500 rwhp but im not gonna tear it back down till later . I also used my stock oil pan and valley cover too. just gotta figure out how to keep tires on it lol

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

wow, Val...that sucks. I think you shoul really use this down time as a way to plan out something big. Don't just buy the newest thing b/c it's new. Listen to the guys on here, do your research. Like Luos said, an iron block might be the better choice and from what he's saying you can get more cubes for cheap, but you will have to buy all new parts for it.

just don't rush into it, man!

He has the LS1 right now.
    Looking for buy an LS2.

You don't want to bore an LS1 or LS2 if you don't have to. Hone is okay though. Unless you want to get really expensive and sleeve it.

You can bore an 6.0L iron block 0.030" over and stroke it for the 408. Most assembled forged 408's run $3800.
    You normally get the 6.0L aluminum (LS2) in the 402 variety. That is normally $4200 or so for a assembled forged shortblock.
    yeah I think LG Motorsports mechanic said 3k for a forged new LS2 shortblock (I believe he mention 402).
    I hope that included the pistons, crankshaft etc.. like assembled.. I have to ask...
    becasuse then I can do another 3k on Heads and cam upgrades and call it a day... well + install fees

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    wow, Val...that sucks. I think you shoul really use this down time as a way to plan out something big. Don't just buy the newest thing b/c it's new. Listen to the guys on here, do your research. Like Luos said, an iron block might be the better choice and from what he's saying you can get more cubes for cheap, but you will have to buy all new parts for it.

just don't rush into it, man!
    sure thing mate! I'm trying to figure out the best way too, I am going with new LS2 fogrged, I will most likely through a supercharger in a year or 2 on it,
    so it would be a really good foundation for that to be forged etc...
    yeah, I was going to do heads/cam mods in a little while anyways, but now I have a chance to really upgrade the short block, might as well pay a little extra and get a torque monster.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

wow, I hope you have a good rear end already. sounds like lots of power very soon for ya, hate to see you destroy anything on your car.

yeah most people I've talked to said upto 450rwhp should be safe on the stock bolt, but it also depends how you drive it. the real big test is going to be at the track I had before 368rwhp, with the heads /cam and LS2 forged new block I expect 430rwhp. so it should still be holding up pretty good

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

sure thing mate! I'm trying to figure out the best way too, I am going with new LS2 fogrged, I will most likely through a supercharger in a year or 2 on it,
    so it would be a really good foundation for that to be forged etc...
    yeah, I was going to do heads/cam mods in a little while anyways, but now I have a chance to really upgrade the short block, might as well pay a little extra and get a torque monster.
    If you are planning on supercharging it, and all this extra work, most people go with the IRON block, yes its heavier, but its a lot more durable, and handles high HP a lot better than the Aluminum ones...even forged. If your planning on going that big, get a LM9 (or LQ9 I cant remember) engine. The 6.0L truck engine...it already has a 4" bore, so you wont need to bore it out...you can get a stroker kit for it...to lower your CR to 8.5:1, then when you want to put the supercharger on it, you can run almost as much boost as your heart desires. I think at 8.5 you can put 16# of boost into it from a procharger. But its your money. Just dont want you to have to do some re-work. Thats the only thing worse than work...is rework.

thanks for info guys, I'm getting quotes as we speak, I'll let u know how things went. If I were to put a blower on it I don't I'd go more than 6-7psi.
    because then I would really need a rear end.. once I pass 520rwhp I am in the danger zone. I may eventually get a 12 bolt, but I've corresponded with folks that claim 520rhwp and they are cool at track, I do have A4 which is easier on rear, but do plan on stall so. we'll see, I will def. do more rear bolt research before the blower goes in.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I would still consider using your stock block if it is in good shape.

slp forged 402.
    http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=12412M
    what u guys think of it? I am getting quoted on this 3500k. what u think?
    it should work with the stock heads/cam, then later on put another 4k into AFR heads/cam?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

NO SLP!!!!!

NO SLP!!!!!
    they no good?

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

so where were you when you decided to take the bird from land and into water?

driving home friday from RPM was no fun in that shitty rain man. i took backroads all the way...

I talked to the and they will go different brand, new short block aluminum 402 LS2 forged but it will be custom made by LG Motorsports 4200k I think that's a reasonable price, and they include the $450 cost for a G5 X4 cam. so I get a free cam. I think a good price for all.

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    so where were you when you decided to take the bird from land and into water?

driving home friday from RPM was no fun in that shitty rain man. i took backroads all the way...
    in Irving, service roads and a street, the intersection was not smooth, it was caved in like 10 inches. full of water, saw it too late. no biggie., 1500 in damage, used ls1 block ,, but now I'm getting a new forged ls2 block, nice cam = 4200k + install 1k. so not bad at all
    I will use the stock heads for now, then next year when I catch 2-3k I will slap in some AFR heads.
    the mechanic said 60rwhp gain just new block and G5 X4 cam. not bad y'all...
    Last edited by djvaly; 01-15-2007 at 09:49 AM.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

sorry to hear bout the misfortune man. it was not a good weekend here to drive. the roads firday night were down right horrible...

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    sorry to hear bout the misfortune man. it was not a good weekend here to drive. the roads firday night were down right horrible...
    yah mate, I am not driving my TA when it rains like hell again, and definetely now backroads like that.. did not think roads would be flooded. the cai in front sucked up the water since it was 10-12inches high.. oops.
    but.. actually since I ain't stalled yet they said G5 X3 cam is aggressive enough. it should do nicely after stall too.. G5 x3 cutom grind cam.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

they no good?
    Never heard any good about their motors.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information