LS1 lifter knock... GM TSB

This is a discussion on LS1 lifter knock... GM TSB within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; my 99 LS1 has a noise that seems to be lifter noise. it has a custom grind and Comp lifters. ...

stab it and steer it!

red
    99 Z28 SS convertible

LS1 lifter knock... GM TSB

my 99 LS1 has a noise that seems to be lifter noise. it has a custom grind and Comp lifters. i was reading other places and found info on a GM bulletin that states a possible oil pump pickup o-ring problem that may cause oil aeration. however, it states that it's for 2000-02 years. is it possible that mine has the same thing or is the pump/pickup setup different in the newer years? the engine starts and runs fine with no noise, then as you drive a few blocks the lifter noise comes in. intermittently it will go away while driving, then come back. would appreciate any input from people that have had this experience before i tear into it.

Ruby Red
    98 Camaro Z28 402 stroker

First I would get the car off the ground and take a look at your ac compressor. Mine through a rod and it had a ticking noise that sounded like a lifter. If it looks good i would try using an oil that has a valvetrain addative. it really could be you ac. mine still blew colda air with a threwn bearing. Last thing you want to do is rip apart that engine and find out its not a lifter.

How is your oil pressure? The fact that the TSB only covers the 00-02 years is moot point since you've been in the motor for the cam swap. It is fairly easy to damage the o-ring during service. Low oil pressure or extreme oil pressure fluctuations usually indicate an o-ring problem.

Off topic - anyone know why my join date and post count are way off? Haven't been here in awhile...

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

What cam?

Pull the covers and check the valve train.

A good check is to look at the lash on several cylinders, differneces there could indicate a lifter or cam problem.

stab it and steer it!

red
    99 Z28 SS convertible

agreed... i am going to pull the valve covers and do an inspection to see whats up. oil pressure seems to be fine all the time, according to the factory guage. have considered tapping the filter boss and installing an autometer for diagnosis. the noise just kinda comes and goes as it pleases. the oil pump had been ported by texas speed and double roller, also. car runs well, just this noise can't be good for it and is extremely imbarrassing.

Ruby Red
    98 Camaro Z28 402 stroker

I know it sounds stupid but did you check the compressor?

Thread Information