Thread: LS1 Hot Cam Kit

White
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

LS1 Hot Cam Kit

Hello All

I have a stock 2000 T/A WS6 and want MORE POWER!!!! I have been looking @ the G5x3 Camshaft & boy O boy... I believe THAT is the cam for me! I have been reading about that specific cam & was wondering if that cam can be run w/ the stock heads? If not, what would I have to purchase? springs, retainers, pushrods? lifters? rocker arms? I will be driving my car on the Highway as well as in town driving. I will be purchasing the headers & Xpipe for sure since the stock.....well, its stock.

Now, I have also been looking at Generation III Hot cam Kit for this car, Does anyone have this setup? or if anyone has this G5x3 cam how do you like it? any problems? I have heard conflicting storys saying that the cam will stay idle @ 1000 RPM, far as I know, if you have too much lift it will die? PLEASE HELP!

What would you recommend for mods? I Do not want to go with nitrous.

What I would like out of the car is 400+ RWHP

SLP Airbox lid
    3" Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back Exhaust
    Last edited by jpn8801; 08-10-2007 at 07:55 AM.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

the GM hot cam will net you less HP but will be more streetable an dwill get you alot of midrange power so it all depends on what you want out of your ca. the two are soo different that we just need to know what you want before we can offer advise

White
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Advice :)

I would like the RWHP to be 400+ on motor. Power that pushes me back in my seat, is streetable & i can drive on the freeway & when a LT1 comes up to me, I can smile & know that my T/A would break him off. That kind of power.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Alot of guys are doing a cam only setup, there is a lot of cams out there that will work with your stock heads and if you later chose to get some ported heads you would still be able to run that cam. TSP 228R (228/228 .588/.588) 112 if you are a manual or 114 LSA if you are auto. You will need the headers and exhaust like you said LS6 intake, a torque converter if you are auto. PRC dual springs or even comp 918's. Chromoly hardened pushrods. Possibly ported LS6 oil pump. LS2 timing chain and of course all the fluids and gaskets. That should get you pretty close to 400 RWHP probably more around 380-390 but you could always through in some ported heads and clear that 400 mark. I like this cam personally. I plan on going with it or a TR224 (224/224 .563/.563) 114 LSA the tr224 is a little smaller and will yield a little less gains but I have driven a couple local cars that have that cam and enjoyed it. Honestly I will probably go with the TSP228R for the fact it should give me a little more hp. Just my .02$
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

The Hotcam wont get you 400rwhp, neither will the 224. G5X3 would be the better choice but there are LOTS of others as well. Do some research before you rush into buying a cam kit.

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

im getting a torquer v3... nice about that one is i can break 400rwhp with a nice dynotune, and dual springs... no need to replace anything else... besides like some bolts and etc parts... but you wont even need a oil pump or timing chain... just the gaskets for the cover and stuff... just my .02

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

TSP 228R

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    im getting a torquer v3... nice about that one is i can break 400rwhp with a nice dynotune, and dual springs... no need to replace anything else... besides like some bolts and etc parts... but you wont even need a oil pump or timing chain... just the gaskets for the cover and stuff... just my .02
    You don't ever need an oil pump and chain. Just recommended maintenance since you will be in there swapping the cam out anyways.
    Worth it in my opinion to do both the LS2 chain and LS6 oil pump.

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    TSP 228R

You don't ever need an oil pump and chain. Just recommended maintenance since you will be in there swapping the cam out anyways.
    Worth it in my opinion to do both the LS2 chain and LS6 oil pump.
    are you stalking me just to make me look retarded on here? ... jk but yes i know what you mean.. just saying you dont have to if you are strapped for cash

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I am a stalker.

Actually, just like to make sure all bases are covered for those modding. I am never looking to make someone look retarded as you say.
    You were right, I just added to it.

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I am a stalker.

Actually, just like to make sure all bases are covered for those modding. I am never looking to make someone look retarded as you say.
    You were right, I just added to it.
    of course im allways right... aka my last name is wright

Thread Information