Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

LS1 Engine build Qs

Allright guys so heres what ive put together so far for my engine. Finally trying to lock this down instead of throw around ideas. Itll be a while till started due to the fact i want to focus on drivetrain and suspension prior to the engine but non the less i want a setup ready to go once i start to buy and build. Ill list what i have put together so far and post what i have for questions. If what I've got so far doesn't add up let me know.

What im thinking so far.

reuse ls1 block keep bore and stroke stock
    k1 forged crank
    k1 6.125 forged rods
    wiseco pistons (awaiting email from wiseco on what piston and ring kit they suggest to work with the TVS, heads and run premium pump)
    PRC ls6 stg 2.5 heads 64cc w/ PRC .650 dual springs, 2.02"/1.57" stainless steel valves, titanium retainers, viton seals, hardened seats
    Comp Cams LSR Roots Blower cam 239/243 .624/.624 114lsa
    Magnacharger TVS 2300
    1 7/8" headers

Here are my questions.
    Timing set?......... Do i go with single or double roller? also what brands are good what to stay away from?
    Rocker?............. Remember hearing that jezel was the way to go here but what about yella terra?
    lifters?............... im at a total loss here as to what i will need to support what im going with obv hydro lifters but after that ya... lost.
    Coils?.................I would imagine i need an upgrade here but ill throw it out there, do i?
    Oil Pump?............Will a ported ls6 pump suffice or will i need to look into aftermarket pumps?
    injectors?........... the TVS comes with them but not sure if they will support everything else that i am doing. Does anyone know what i would need for injectors on this setup so i could compare?
    Pushrods?..........Is there a way to tell what you need for length without actuallly assembling the engine or is this something i am better off just waiting till assembly to pick up?

allright thats what i got so far. look foward to hearing from you guys.
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 A-4:
    Volant CAI, BBK LTs, BBK ORY, SLP LM2, FROST Tune, A/C Heat Delete, AIR Delete

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by MudStainKILLA View Post
    Allright guys so heres what ive put together so far for my engine. Finally trying to lock this down instead of throw around ideas. Itll be a while till started due to the fact i want to focus on drivetrain and suspension prior to the engine but non the less i want a setup ready to go once i start to buy and build. Ill list what i have put together so far and post what i have for questions. If what I've got so far doesn't add up let me know.

What im thinking so far.

reuse ls1 block keep bore and stroke stock
    k1 forged crank Add double keyway for Procharger, the TVS would probably like that too
    k1 6.125 forged rods
    wiseco pistons (awaiting email from wiseco on what piston and ring kit they suggest to work with the TVS, heads and run premium pump)Check out Diamond also, many FI guys use Diamond with great results.
    PRC ls6 stg 2.5 heads 64cc w/ PRC .650 dual springs, 2.02"/1.57" stainless steel valves, titanium retainers, viton seals, hardened seats
    Comp Cams LSR Roots Blower cam 239/243 .624/.624 114lsaDoesn't hurt to get a second opinion, fill out Pat G's form maybe
    Magnacharger TVS 2300
    1 7/8" headers

Here are my questions.
    Timing set?......... Do i go with single or double roller? also what brands are good what to stay away from? Double, Check out the JP Performance Billet Double Roller Timing Chain - LS1/LS6. Fraser at AES engines recommended it for my 398ci F1A Procharger build
    Rocker?............. Remember hearing that jezel was the way to go here but what about yella terra? Stock are still the lightest that I can remember, and with the trunnion upgrade are one of, if not the most reliable. With the heads your using you can run a stock rocker arm.
    lifters?............... im at a total loss here as to what i will need to support what im going with obv hydro lifters but after that ya... lost.LS7 stock replacements should be fine
    Coils?.................I would imagine i need an upgrade here but ill throw it out there, do i?Stock. Even the high dollar MSD's have a much higher failure rate then stock. Short coil wires and a good stock coil make for a great stock setup. Leave them be.
    Oil Pump?............Will a ported ls6 pump suffice or will i need to look into aftermarket pumps? Pick your poison here. I was quoted a SLP heavy duty pump from Fraser; but there's many options out there.
    injectors?........... the TVS comes with them but not sure if they will support everything else that i am doing. Does anyone know what i would need for injectors on this setup so i could compare?Depend's on PSI and power goals. I would go with a Siemens 80 lb/hr or similar. FIC Injector can help and Lonnies can get you an entire fuel system put together if you can ditch what comes with the TVS
    Pushrods?..........Is there a way to tell what you need for length without actuallly assembling the engine or is this something i am better off just waiting till assembly to pick up? You need to buy these last. You can get a rough ball park number but you don't wanna screw this part up. Buy a pushrod length checker if your dead set on doing this yourself.

allright thats what i got so far. look foward to hearing from you guys.
    Answer's in bold.
    Just from the last question, I think you should have a professional do the install's honestly. Cry once kinda thing. It will save a bunch of time and an equal about of money getting this setup correctly from the beginning. Fraser at AES Racing Engines, HKE or Kurt Urban is the guy I would recommend build you an engine. Get a solid platform for this build.

Have fun.

hugger orange

Keep your stock coils, they will work fine.
    Caddy lifters, or comp would work fine.
    I'd go with a double roller chain and melling high volume oil pump.
    Also unless you have the extra $1,600 to just blow on Jezels I'd run the stock rockets with the truton (sp?) Upgraded bear kit.
    Pushrod size should always be measured after engine assemblely is done.

Hope I helped!

hugger orange

Damnit Ron you beat me to it lol

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    Damnit Ron you beat me to it lol
    I've been trying to post that for hours This hotel's internet is lacking severely but looks like I got it in just a few minutes before you

(using my phones internet)

hugger orange

Lol on my phone too

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Cool, thanks for the info guys. Ya the long block assembly will be completed by my stepgrandfather's motor shop back in NH. As you can see im not the most savy when it comes to this. I know about enough to get myself into deep shit lol.

Rotating Assy:.. Ill see what diamond's got. Went wiseco/k1 route due to the affordablity and my step grandfather doing alot of work with em
    Cam:............... where can i find that form that you speak of?
    Timing Set:..... Double it is, Ill check JP out
    Rockers:......... Ya i saw those prices on the jezels..... Did see comps trunnion upgrade at 138 and some change so glad to hear that is a viable option.
    Lifters:........... Glad to hear Stock LS7s will work
    Coils:............. Again glad to hear stockers will work
    Injectors:....... Still waiting to hear back from Magnacharger on what the injectors they have are rated at, limited to email out here.
    Push rods:...... ya like i said i know enough to get myself into trouble.

Platform:... Ya like I said the engine is the last step in my T/As path to performance. I did some basics Exhaust, tune and CAI before i deployed but once home its on to the rear, then suspension, brakes, tranny and finally the engine. As i save money for each step ima knock out some minor body work it needs and re paint it. Itll prolly take me a couple years to finally be done with it but I've always wanted one since seeing on back when i was young so i don't plan on ver parting with it. And who knows with my crazy ass mind half way though ill prolly change routes. Time will tell. Again though guys thanks for all the info.

hugger orange

HO-PO, I didn't want to thread jack so a sent you two pm's

To the OP, you'd be suprised just how good stock upgraded rockers and factory coils are

Sounds like your gonna have a hell of a nice ride there when you get done.

Also man keep your head down over there and come back safe. Thank you for your service and giving us the freedom we enjoy!

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

No worries man, i love what I do. I appreciatte your support. quick question, looked up the melling pump on TSP and it said that a melling will not clear a double roller set? any truth to that or is there a mod that has to be done?

hugger orange

A little grinding on the inside of the cover.....put some grease on the bolts,chain and front of pump face. Slide cover on, take cover off and grind a little where the grease sticks to the cover....sounds hard, but It's pretty quick and easy

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

ok thanks man looks like a melling HV for me. Again man thanks for the info

another question.

Valve cover spacers?..........With running a .624 lift cam will i need them or no?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by MudStainKILLA View Post
    another question.

Valve cover spacers?..........With running a .624 lift cam will i need them or no?
    Yes, you will need them, or a set of tall valve covers.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Also, quickly browsing this thread, you will need to bore the block slightly. No aftermarket pistons fit in the stock bores as they sit.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I think I have read more horror stories about leaking aftermarket covers then successful ones; then again only the bad times get reported usually.

Maybe I'm missing something... why would you need a taller cover or spacer for that lift camshaft?

OP, I'll send you a PM with Pat G's form.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    I think I have read more horror stories about leaking aftermarket covers then successful ones; then again only the bad times get reported usually.

Maybe I'm missing something... why would you need a taller cover or spacer for that lift camshaft?

OP, I'll send you a PM with Pat G's form.
    The backside of the rockers tap the baffles in the valve covers. I have not experimented with removing the baffles in mine, but it is a very noticeable and very annoying valvetrain noise.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    The backside of the rockers tap the baffles in the valve covers. I have not experimented with removing the baffles in mine, but it is a very noticeable and very annoying valvetrain noise.
    Gotcha.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Thanks For the info LS1camino, As far as the bore last night I started thinking about it and was figuring .010 to get rid of any distortion or taper in the cylinder wall.. you guys think this is too much? I remember hearing something about not really being able to bore out a stock LS1 due to cylinder wall thickness issues. But I could be wrong there.

Hi-Po thank you for the PM.

Hopefully I hear back from magnuson and wiseco tonight and can put together some prices

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Boreing .010" is nothing...boreing out for a 427 (4.125" bore vs a stock LS1 3.898") will require a resleeve of the block...at that point, you might as well of bought a LS7 or LS3 block for the price it costs to resleeve a LS1 block.

As I was saying, Wiseco pistons are 3.903" in diameter, which is a .005" difference from stock, so boreing out .010" is probably perfect. Like everyone else said, something like this (especially since there is a power adder involved) should be left to a rpofessional engine builder.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Oh it will be man, trust me i don't plan on undertaking all this only to botch it cause i didn't know or did something wrong

hugger orange

Just remember can be and safely can be are two different things....every block is slightly different and .005" might let one block pass a sonic test and fail another block.

Thread Information