Red
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

LS1 Block Replacement

I recently found out that I have a cracked block .... long story short .... the starter broke off the block and one of the starter bolts cracked it. Unfortunately, this repair is off the charts in price. I want to pick up a used block, but I need to know what I should be looking for and what additional items I need to replace the old block??? Any other comments would be greatly appreciated.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Are you looking to just get a stock LS1 shortblock and transfer your existing parts onto it? This is a good time to "upgrade" if you choose to do so, but obviously that will cost more than just replacing what you have now. You have options of going LS2 and LQ9, staying relatively stock but gaining cubic inch. Another option is to get a "prepped" LS1 shortblock from an LS1.com sponsor. All depends how much you want to spend and what goals you have in mind. Do your research and make a decision now because if you decide to do something different without knowing the pro's and con's, it can cost you big time in the long run.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

If you just replace your block, you are looking at new rings, new bearings, and new rod bolts on top of the block cost.

If you aren't going to upgrade and just want the car running, try to find a used lower mileage LS1 for around $1000.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I just did a full build on mine and you're looking at a pretty penny. Since the block is blown though you might as well go for a new short block whiche will run you around 3k and just transfer everything else over. I bought an LQ9 iron block bored out and stroked to a 408 and set for boost. That ran me 5k after machining costs

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

ls6 on sale now for 2999.00 plus 300 shipping complete longblock. best deal around.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

check Scoggin Dickey they had them on sale.

Towing your car to someone who can properly weld aluminum would be much, much cheaper than a new block. Just have the tab welded back on with a stud in place of the outer bolt.

Red
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    Towing your car to someone who can properly weld aluminum would be much, much cheaper than a new block. Just have the tab welded back on with a stud in place of the outer bolt.
    This is definitely an option I have considered as well. I have heard mixed reviews about welding the block. Any comments on this idea would be greatly appreciated.

As for replacing the block, I ulitmately would like to find a used block (around $500) and put all my parts in. More feedback going this route would be helpful.

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Black
    2001 Formula

check cragislist i found one in my area for $300

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/1402337607.html

Quote Originally Posted by sickws6 View Post
    This is definitely an option I have considered as well. I have heard mixed reviews about welding the block. Any comments on this idea would be greatly appreciated.

As for replacing the block, I ulitmately would like to find a used block (around $500) and put all my parts in. More feedback going this route would be helpful.

Thanks everyone for the comments!
    It's not that simple. You can't just transfer the old parts into the new block. You'll destroy the engine. You're basically looking at a rebuild at this point. And at that, it's cheaper to by an assembled shortblock. If you cannot repair the current block, the cheapest and easiest alternative would be to swap out the entire shortblock (or longblock if your top end is stock) with a used one.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

You can Weld the block, A good aluminum welder can repair it Prob better than Stock. If you decide to replace the block, Send ur Broken block My way! LOL

Thread Information