Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 141516171819 LastLast

LS1 & $4k towards rebuild. what to do?

This is a discussion on LS1 & $4k towards rebuild. what to do? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Can you find the stocker 28 lbs. injectors anywhere cheaper?? If not I'd stick with the 30's. I'd also think ...

Can you find the stocker 28 lbs. injectors anywhere cheaper??

If not I'd stick with the 30's.

I'd also think you could find the intake used and save a little bit there as well. It's not like it's a wear item.

While it's down I'd just send the computer to Frost for a mail order tune. He's tuned enough of these on the dyno, I'm sure he has a file that is ready to rock. Probably even be able to leave it alone after that.

Impounded
    hmm yeah. but id like to know what my numbers are still just out of curiosity.
    and i found 28lbs off a 98 ss and i got me a used ls6 intake.
    a good fellow member on here is messaging me up with some good deals. and boy am i jumping on them!

You could always do the dyno thing later just for giggles or to touch up things.
    I would think at the very least you would need the mail order tune anyway to get it up and running. I'm not so sure how it would run with 28 lbs. injectors with a tune designed for 26 pounders.

Impounded
    heard dat. yeah ill probably wait till late fall. or the following spring to dyno it. buut then again. im anxious

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You can get the mail order tune and still have it DYNO'd for cheap...just don't get it DYNO tuned.

Most places will give you 3 pulls for around $100.

Impounded
    ^^^
    place in O'boro runs $450 for 3 pulls on a mustang dyno...
    i didnt pay attention if it was tune or not.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

that is for an actual tune...has to be.

Impounded
    i suppose your right.. surely. but other than that...corydon's the closest place 45min-1hr away....

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    You can get the mail order tune and still have it DYNO'd for cheap...just don't get it DYNO tuned.

Most places will give you 3 pulls for around $100.
    That's what I'd do if you are just interested in getting a number.

At some of the larger car meets I go to, they usually bring in a portable dyno, and let you have a couple of pulls for $60-65, generally with a wideband attached. It's just for curiosity sake, there is no tuning done by them. However we did make some changes on my fathers car and put it back on there for another pull

Impounded
    yeah but the closest car shows on that scale are in Bowling Green for the fest... and idk
    does indy/louisville/cinncinatti/STL have some...surely but i mean like LSX shows?

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Ya dyno runs should only be about 100 bucks for a few runs. When you do get the engine installed you could run the motor for a limited time but only to get your from a-b do not stomp on it by any means... When the motor is being pulled to get swapped why not just send the pcm off to frost for 150 he will get is damn close to a dyno tune as he has done over 50 swaps like this then eventually if you really wanted to you could have it dyno tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    yeah but the closest car shows on that scale are in Bowling Green for the fest... and idk
    does indy/louisville/cinncinatti/STL have some...surely but i mean like LSX shows?
    The TriPower Nats in Norwalk does it,,,that's where I've done mine. It was $60 or $65.
    Bowling Green should also have one,,,,,and I beleive Carlisle also had it.
    If you hit some of the Goodguys meets, they do it as well.

We also have local dyno days around here, get with a local Fbody club. They do a dyno day around here once or twice a year.

I've never had to pay more than $50-$65 for it though, after all, you are just strapping down the car for a pull to get a number and you are done. If you are plunking down $100 or more I'd probably pass and just fork up the dough for a real dyno tune.

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    When the motor is being pulled to get swapped why not just send the pcm off to frost for 150 he will get is damn close to a dyno tune as he has done over 50 swaps like this then eventually if you really wanted to you could have it dyno tuned.
    That's exactly what I've suggested. In my opinion I'd just do that and leave it alone.
    Maybe at some point make a fun run on a dyno when it's cheap and convenient,,,,otherwise I really wouldn't worry about what number it makes. That was never a huge concern for me. The track is where it's at

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's exactly what I've suggested. In my opinion I'd just do that and leave it alone.
    Maybe at some point make a fun run on a dyno when it's cheap and convenient,,,,otherwise I really wouldn't worry about what number it makes. That was never a huge concern for me. The track is where it's at
    good points. guess ill just send it off to Frost
    however. some people suggested getting a new '01-'02 PCM for the ls6.
    have you guys heard this?

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    good points. guess ill just send it off to Frost
    however. some people suggested getting a new '01-'02 PCM for the ls6.
    have you guys heard this?
    That would be a question for Frost. I don't see why,,,there are tuning differences but I would think it would run an LS6 just fine.
    I'm sure Frost has run accross this.

My thinking is,,,,there are so many 1998 4th gens out there running heads, cams, even stroker motors, with the stock PCM,,,I don't see why it wouldn't operate a crate LS6 motor.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-28-2011 at 08:16 AM.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

99-02 all share the same pcm to my knowledge the 98s are the ones with the different pcms

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    99-02 all share the same pcm to my knowledge the 98s are the ones with the different pcms
    Ya, and even the 99 and 00 models have a few different quirks in the tuning software.

For instance my 00 has a secondary VE table that covers every other line. Pain in the butt when tuning, I have to remember to go back to that secondary table and copy every other line over.

My 02 doesn't have that,,,,just a single VE table.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

No need to swap PCM's for a 99-up. You need 28lbers, and I have tuned at least two dozen (and very probably more) stock LS6's with long tubes in F-bodies. If you use an OEM injector such as a 28lber and your MAF is in good shape (this doesn't mean buy a crappy aftermarket unit, it just means you have an OEM unit in proper order), the mail order for this can be very close.

Impounded
    Sounds good. Ill be running 28 stockers out a 98 SS with my stock MAF. A lid exhaust and ls6 block/ intake
    What u guys think about a BBK Throttle body?

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

waste-o-money just get a ported stock for lik 50 bucks with your core off fleabay

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 141516171819 LastLast

Thread Information