Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819 LastLast

LS1 & $4k towards rebuild. what to do?

This is a discussion on LS1 & $4k towards rebuild. what to do? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; where can i find that at?...

Impounded
    where can i find that at?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

How far are you from Fort Wayne IN? I will be making at least 3 tuning trips there this year (if you don't already have a tuner). I have tuned a pile of LS6-swapped F-bodies that got their engines from SDPC. If you grab a set of 28lb injectors from a 98 or 01-02 F-body you will be good. I can mail order this setup and, as long as your MAF is in good working order, get the combo pretty close.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Not to thread jack here, but since we're on the subject of tuning...

Do you use a DYNO Frost in Fort Wayne or is it tuned on the street? Just curious.

Impounded
    its only a 6 hour drive. not that far
    but go ahead and give me the dates anyways. ill be up in noblesville july 7th. soif you happen to be there then...id be half way there...

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Not to thread jack here, but since we're on the subject of tuning...

Do you use a DYNO Frost in Fort Wayne or is it tuned on the street? Just curious.

Yes, a dynojet 224. If want to save a few $$$ it can be done on the street with a wideband. Nate would be driving. I mean, it's going to be tuned on the street with a wideband prior to the dyno anyway, it will just get further polish if no dyno.

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    its only a 6 hour drive. not that far
    but go ahead and give me the dates anyways. ill be up in noblesville july 7th. soif you happen to be there then...id be half way there...

They are not yet firm... looking like late Feb/early Mar and late June for the first two.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

so we got the long block from SDPC
    an LS6 intake with the coolant lines?
    and everything else will be swap'd over and replaced as needed/suggested (oil pan/pickups,ignitions,electronics,wire harness,pulleys,coils,etc.)
    get some 28lbs+ fuel injectors,spark plugs,a lid,and what are your thoughts on the Blackwing Filter ($63???)
    got MSD plug wires, motor mounts, (2) 13111 sensors, Exhaust
    a mail-in tune. then dyno tune after a nice break in session?

anything i missed or should look into while its in the shop?
    Yes you'll need the ls6 and the coolant lines for the heads just look up head coolant lines up at texas speed theyre about 50 bucks. Everything else looks good on that list. And a dyno tune would polish it up but the car would run fine on the normal tune until you could get to a dyno just dont stomp on it much. Although I would give it to frost hes the man when it comes to tuning these things and will be tuning mine when i decide to swap mine for an ls6 for $150 bucks he would get you damn close to a normal dyno tune at a fraction of the cost. I wouldnt do both either do a mail tune or dyno driving the car on the stock tune wont hurt it as long as your easy. X2 on the amsoil filter and while your under there i would strongly reccommend an upgrade to an ls7 clutch and better master cylinder the stock one is prolly worn a little and the ls7 is a good unit for the money. Here is what your motor will look like when it arrives from sdpc this is a thread of theres on tech.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-27-2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: non sponsor link

Impounded
    yeah. im debating on a bunch of little things...or throw the remaining of my money into a MCW rear

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

you could do that but def. do the clutch it will feel better to drive and its one of those things that should be replaced anyway...

Impounded
    yeah. im sure its shot along with the 3-4 in the tranny...
    it will all be done eventually just depends on what order..

Black
    2000 SS

I say clutch should go hand in hand with the motor.... Since your going to have the motor out and seperate from the tranny might as well do the clutch
    1967 Camaro - LS1 T56 project
    2003 Z06 - Procharged and LTs
    2001 Honda Civic EX - DD
    2005 Kawaski KFX400
    2000 Camaro SS m6 - 523rwhp 468rwtq - (Sold)

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

^^^ Exactly its off anyway with the motor out and doesnt require taking apart the tranny like fixing a 3-4 fork would. The entire clutch assembly would run like 450 from sdpc a small price to pay for insurance against your clutch going out or disintegrating

Impounded
    450? Thats better than KYS.. What about the master cylindar slave cylindar and speedbleeder?
    Get those too?

What I see with the SDPC LS7 clutch is they offer a RAM billet lightweight aluminum flywheel with the kit for about ~$500.
    That's a killer deal considering the lightweight flywheels themselves usually go for ~$300 from Ram.

The stock steel LS7 flywheel weighs about 23 lbs.
    The Ram lightweight flywheel weighs About 19 lbs.
    Other lightweight flywheels on the market usually weight about 13-14 lbs.

The Ram unit is a nice way to take just a few lbs. out of the rotating mass without affecting drivability.

On the rest of it,,,,,definately do the slave cylinder while the tranny is out. You're already in there and it just makes sense. You'll kick yourself if 3 months down the road you have a slave problem and the tranny has to come back out.
    Get a GM slave cylinder.

On the master cylinder,,,,,that's optional and totally up to you. I like the adjustables on the market, but they are more money.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-27-2011 at 03:44 PM.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

2 things one yes you want the speedbleeder it makes the job 10x easier my buddy has it on his t/a. jones is right about the slave and ram flywheel its all good to do now so it wont crap out later it would be like changing your oil without your filter... also the reason i suggested a new or upgraded master is that the stocker wears out but the ls1 clutch is a light piece. The ls7 clutch weighs considerably more so it puts more stress on the cylinder mor often times than not the clutch will not fully disengage when the pedal is pushed seen it happen on quite a few cars and on my friends trans am. so once again its something that you can get done when everythings apart cuz its a bitch to put in when its all back together.

Impounded
    well how much faster will the rpms fall with the Ram flywheel compared to my stocker flywheel in my T/A now? i mean i have no problems now but will the light weight flywheel cause any significant change to the 'stock feeling'?

well how much faster will the rpms fall with the Ram flywheel compared to my stocker flywheel in my T/A now? i mean i have no problems now but will the light weight flywheel cause any significant change to the 'stock feeling'?
    With only a 4 lbs. difference you won't notice any drivability changes.

I ran a very light (13 lbs???) flywheel on another 6 speed car we had,,,and it wasn't to much of a change, but I could tell with the stock 3.42's and stock weight. When they get that light they are more suited to a car with more rear gear and lighter weight.

The 19 lbs. flywheel from Ram however, isn't that much of a change from the heavier 23 lbs. LS7 unit. In my opinion, since I'd already be in there doing a clutch, and you have to buy a flywheel anyway since GM doesn't recommend turning the stockers, I'd go with that package and take a few lbs. out of the rotating mass, free up a few HP to boot. Doesn't cost anymore,,,,it's a win win.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

the ls7 clucth setup weighs about 6lbs more than the ls1/ls6 clutch so the weight youd be saving over the stock flywheel will likely be absorbed by the heavier clutch anyway...

Impounded
    sweet. what about the pilot bearing. $17 i think?
    http://sdparts.com/details/moroso-performance/mor41100
    Last edited by BashamWS6; 01-27-2011 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    the ls7 clucth setup weighs about 6lbs more than the ls1/ls6 clutch so the weight youd be saving over the stock flywheel will likely be absorbed by the heavier clutch anyway...
    Which is why the Ram lightweight flywheel makes all that much more sense. The last thing I'd want to do is actually add more weight to an already heavy clutch assembly.
    I like my throttle response, gas mileage, and HP.

Impounded
    heard dat. looks like were looking at around....$6600 when its all said and done..
    LS6 block. 3500
    intake. 544 with bolts and water lines
    lid. 90
    LS7/Ram Clutch Kit. 500
    Master/Slave Cylindars. 300/125
    Speedbleeder. 50
    Pilot Bearing. 18
    Plugs. 20
    Install. ~1000
    looked at injectors from SDPC...
    30lbs-$300
    39lbs-$400
    42lbs-$370
    60lbs-400<---overkill....
    these prices about right? or should i check GM? im not too fond of them stealerships...

oh yeah...need a tune to but id need to break the motor/clutch in

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819 LastLast

Thread Information