Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819 LastLast

LS1 & $4k towards rebuild. what to do?

This is a discussion on LS1 & $4k towards rebuild. what to do? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; you'd need 28lb+ injectors......

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

you'd need 28lb+ injectors...

That's how the engines come from Crateenginedepot.

My only question is,,,,how long has it been sitting around with the intake and exhaust ports open like that?? I would think at least they would put some tape over that stuff.
    I'd be worried something might have fallen down in there.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

I'd still do the longblock basham the ls6 crate engine will only include new coils and intake you would still need to use your ls1 harness and accessories. The injectors on the ls6 are the same 28lb injectors found on the 01-up ls1's so you can either use your existing 26lb injectors or just get an intake and injector setup from an 01+ car for like 300 bucks. If your really bent up about the coils those can be bought new for 200... Thats 500 in new parts plus 3400 for a new engine that still much cheaper than 6k. Once again i'd do an ls6 at this point 3400 for a new engine cant be beat the ls2 would be rebuilt at that price. And I wouldnt do an ls2 crate because you would need the conversion box if u got a new one and the fact that an ls2 manifold and tb are junk and should be replaced with an ls6 setup. Btw frost I'm just curious why does the ls2 only max out around 380hp while an ls6 will pull almost or right to 400 with the same bolt ons? I mean ikno the cam is slightly smaller but it has more cubes?

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Call sdpc and ask how much their ls6 long block is that engine is the same piece and same price as the one from crate engine depot and it would actually be coming from a reputable company...

Impounded
    well... even if it was sitting out. couldnt i get Charles to take it apart and check it out?

and id need a new fuel system...28lbs
    and the ls6 intake...what about the conversion there?
    and them just get replacements of the swap parts as needed...
    hell i could have this in by spring most likly

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    I'd still do the longblock basham the ls6 crate engine will only include new coils and intake you would still need to use your ls1 harness and accessories. The injectors on the ls6 are the same 28lb injectors found on the 01-up ls1's so you can either use your existing 26lb injectors or just get an intake and injector setup from an 01+ car for like 300 bucks. If your really bent up about the coils those can be bought new for 200... Thats 500 in new parts plus 3400 for a new engine that still much cheaper than 6k. Once again i'd do an ls6 at this point 3400 for a new engine cant be beat the ls2 would be rebuilt at that price. And I wouldnt do an ls2 crate because you would need the conversion box if u got a new one and the fact that an ls2 manifold and tb are junk and should be replaced with an ls6 setup. Btw frost I'm just curious why does the ls2 only max out around 380hp while an ls6 will pull almost or right to 400 with the same bolt ons? I mean ikno the cam is slightly smaller but it has more cubes?
    26lb won't work... he'd be running lean... as for the ls6 vs ls2 i believe it's about the compression ratio...

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

the ls6 intake swaps right over if you had the ls1 and ls6 intake side by side you would have to know what to look for to tell the difference from the outside. and yes i suppose you could pull the engine apart but why would you go through all that trouble that engine is the same price as one from sdpc or crate engine depot?? find a used ls6 intake with injectors and they will be the 28lb ones no swap needed.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    26lb won't work... he'd be running lean... as for the ls6 vs ls2 i believe it's about the compression ratio...
    I know spaz i had a brain fart for a sec there but the comp ratio still doesnt explain it the ls2 should be making more power because it has a high comp ratio.. 10.9 compared to 10.5 on the ls6

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    well... even if it was sitting out. couldnt i get Charles to take it apart and check it out?

and id need a new fuel system...28lbs
    and the ls6 intake...what about the conversion there?
    and them just get replacements of the swap parts as needed...
    hell i could have this in by spring most likly
    I'd hate to have to dissassemble anything because it's going to cost you gaskets and bolts. Can't reuse the torque to yield bolts.
    I'd pull the plugs and look inside everything, rotating the engine by hand.

LS6 intake is a simple bolt on. Just as if you were bolting on your LS1 intake. One thing I don't see is the coolant lines that run under the intake. That's something you'll need. The LS1 lines would require grinding on the bottom of your LS6 intake, I prefer to just buy the correct lines for less than ~$50.
    I'd do the 28 lbs. injectors, they should just plug right into your stock fuel rails and you're good to go. That will have to be compensated for when you do your tune.

I know spaz i had a brain fart for a sec there but the comp ratio still doesnt explain it the ls2 should be making more power because it has a high comp ratio.. 10.9 compared to 10.5 on the ls6
    I can throw ideas out there to ponder.....

The camshaft is an obvious one.

The LS2 is supposed to have LS6 casting style heads, but what they don't get is the lightweight valvetrain to go with it that was an LS6 exclusive. Hollow stem intake valves and sodium filled exhaust valves along with better valve springs. Better valve train control will help to make power.

Another possibility is the LS6 blocks ability to evacuate crank case pressures more efficiently. This usually promotes better ring seal for more power. It's the reason why you see vacuum pumps on high end builds.
    Whether it's making a difference or not in this case

The larger bore has more surface area, ring seal, more drag and a slightly heavier piston assembly. Again, this is just nit picking, just throwing it out there.

That same scenario applies to stroke as well, but I'm thinking the LS2 has the same stroke as LS1/LS6 and it's just the bore dimension where it gains it's CI difference.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Those are all valid points although some ls1's did come with ls6 blocks and those were proven time and time again not to make any more power than their ls1 block counterparts. The valves i could see but i dont see them being worth 20hp maybe 5? And yes to my knowledge they share the same stroke the bore is different. Again not nit picking either just wondering lol. Jones thanks for your replyin my converter thread i actually just responded to you last post this engine talk has me thinking lol

Those are all valid points although some ls1's did come with ls6 blocks and those were proven time and time again not to make any more power than their ls1 block counterparts. The valves i could see but i dont see them being worth 20hp maybe 5? And yes to my knowledge they share the same stroke the bore is different. Again not nit picking either just wondering lol. Jones thanks for your replyin my converter thread i actually just responded to you last post this engine talk has me thinking lol
    Just throwing ideas out there for you guys to ponder. They are all tiny HP differences that are considered during high end engine builds.
    Whether it's enough to make all the difference that Frost sees on his dyno's I can't say. But I trust what Frost is saying, I don't doubt it one bit.

Impounded
    3480 from sdpc

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

there ya go lol comes from a reputable company and will look just like the one in ebay... now all u need is an ls6 intake with the injectors and ull be good to go..

Impounded
    ill just probably order the intake and injectors from KYS or SPDC.
    what size throttle body does that fit? cuz i kind of want a new one or port and polish my old one

Black
    2000 SS

If your buying the injectors seperate might as well get some 36lbs injectors.

Impounded
    theyll still work with my ls1 fuel pump and lines? or will i have to get the racetronix 255 pump?

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

you could upgrade and if they were about the same price i would but a bolt on ls6 would be fine with the stockers. and the ls6 intake uses the same intake as the ls1 so yoour ported stocker would be a great fit... in fact all 01-02 ls1's came with the ls6 intake just so u have proof that they fit no problem lol. and no you will not need the racetronix pump to run bigger injectors.

Impounded
    so we got the long block from SDPC
    an LS6 intake with the coolant lines?
    and everything else will be swap'd over and replaced as needed/suggested (oil pan/pickups,ignitions,electronics,wire harness,pulleys,coils,etc.)
    get some 28lbs+ fuel injectors,spark plugs,a lid,and what are your thoughts on the Blackwing Filter ($63???)
    got MSD plug wires, motor mounts, (2) 13111 sensors, Exhaust
    a mail-in tune. then dyno tune after a nice break in session?

anything i missed or should look into while its in the shop?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I would get an Amsoil filter

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819 LastLast

Thread Information