Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718 ... LastLast

LS1 & $4k towards rebuild. what to do?

This is a discussion on LS1 & $4k towards rebuild. what to do? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Well. Personally. I think that they just said fuck it...were too lazy to tear down the block and locate the ...

Impounded
    Well. Personally. I think that they just said fuck it...were too lazy to tear down the block and locate the actual problem...we'll just tell him he needs a rebuild.

I had plans to drop a more powerful engine in there anyways. SDPC or GM sells a crate LS6 dont they?

But i looked at priced of vettes. I think that would make a good present to myself on my 20th birthday.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Cut in front of someone...slam on your brakes...say they rear ended you...sue them...win/win

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

exactly it could just the piston slap for all we know, or it could be lifters or a bent pushrod which would make sense with an m6

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

true but with an ls6 crate youd be pissing off a lot of c5 owners in races haha only thing i would then orry about would be a c5z06

Impounded
    well i looked at the dyno results for the ls3....~430 for $9000....well fuck the ls6 isnt that far behind.

the ls6 looks promising. SDPC has the LS6...from intake to oil pan for $5900 but some say its a waste of time..."basically being an LS1 with a ls6 intake"
    some say check out the ls2. rapid motorsports has one from intake to oil pan for $5900... id need a new TB and the conversion there. but it gives me more displacement to work with. 6.0L which means less mpg.
    i called texas speed for a comparision. however he said id need to decide on a top end before he could help. and i dont know shit about heads... so
    im favoring the ls6 now. but im just making sure im getting the best bang for my buck.

and for the LS6 to work i need to swap my TB and oil pan correct? anything else?
    found the FAST 90/90... new...$530TB/$900Intake...pricey
    Last edited by BashamWS6; 01-25-2011 at 08:57 PM.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

The ls6 should not be 5900 unless your looking at the complete engine which you dont need if your willing to swap some of your ls1 stuff over. the ls6 long block from sdpc is around 3400 and you can just use you intake/tb from your ls1 or swap over to an ls6 intake and still use your stock tb. The ls6 is the same bottom end as an ls1 but the ls6 has better heads and cam. The ls2 makes THE SAME peak hp and torque as an ls6 but the ls6 makes 20hp/tq less throughout the rpm band getting there however you will probably never notice this at the track or on the street when going WOT. Now the ls2 would need some adapters to make it work i.e the cam sensor harness, and knock sensor harness, once again you would need the intake from your ls1 or buy a ls6 intake used.... The ls2 longblock can be bought here http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...P9054C274.aspx. Now one more thing about an ls2 and IT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT the engine I listed above is an 05-06 ls2 this engine will work with your ls1 computer because it has a 24x reluctor wheel like the ls1/6. Now if for some reason you purchased a new crate engine or an 07-up ls2 it will come with a 58x reluctor wheel and will require that expensive conversion box. Keep in mind since these are longbllock engines it will require you to use you alternator ps pump water pump etc from your existing ls1. Ls6 engine: http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...P1625C273.aspx These guys are also a good vendor for the engine 3700 isnt a bad price either for a new longblock what you see in the pic is what will show up to your door.
    http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...AQ-W75C10.aspx
    Swap list: LS6
    Use ls1 tb/intake
    ls1 oil pan/pickup
    *thats it install and plug in then tune

Swap List ls2
    use ls1 tb/intake
    knock sensor harness
    cam sensor harness
    ls1 oilpan/pickup
    *07-up ls2 will require 58x conversion
    Last edited by redbird555; 01-26-2011 at 07:00 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I would get the LS6 over the LS2 every day of the week...

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

I would do the ls2 IF they were the same price, more cubes, l92 heads if you wanted to upgrade to them, and it makes more useable torque under the curve. but bottom line is it is more expensive and the benefits dont outweigh it. above the ls2 is a rebuild while the ls6 is brad new so.....

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    well i looked at the dyno results for the ls3....~430 for $9000....well fuck the ls6 isnt that far behind.

the ls6 looks promising. SDPC has the LS6...from intake to oil pan for $5900 but some say its a waste of time..."basically being an LS1 with a ls6 intake"
    some say check out the ls2. rapid motorsports has one from intake to oil pan for $5900... id need a new TB and the conversion there. but it gives me more displacement to work with. 6.0L which means less mpg.
    i called texas speed for a comparision. however he said id need to decide on a top end before he could help. and i dont know shit about heads... so
    im favoring the ls6 now. but im just making sure im getting the best bang for my buck.

and for the LS6 to work i need to swap my TB and oil pan correct? anything else?

I'd also do the LS6 hands down over an LS2, you just can't beat the price of the LS6 for the power it makes.
    No way is it a waste of time. Not sure where those people are coming from but it's by no means anything close to an LS1 with just an LS6 intake
    The block itself is a completely different part number, with better crank case ventilation. The heads are far superior to LS1 units with about 30 cfm more flow, better exhaust port design. The compression ratio is 1/2 point higher at 10.5:1. The camshaft of course is vastly different along with the valve springs that allow 6500 rpm all day long.
    With a good tune and some headers, Frost reports 400+ rwhp on his dyno out of the box. For $3400 and a warranty?? I don't know anything better out there at this point for the money.

Edit: I forgot to mention you also get the far better PCV system with the LS6 valley cover, which is an upgrade alot of LS1 guys do. Anyway you cut it,,,it just keeps looking better.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-26-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Also I see you are thinking you have to buy an LS6 intake for your swap.

That shouldn't be necessary since you list your car as an 02,,,it already should have the LS6 intake,,,so just swap onto your crate LS6 and you have a complete LS6 ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    I would do the ls2 IF they were the same price, more cubes, l92 heads if you wanted to upgrade to them, and it makes more useable torque under the curve. but bottom line is it is more expensive and the benefits dont outweigh it. above the ls2 is a rebuild while the ls6 is brad new so.....
    I wouldn't let the 4 inch bore sway me personally just because of the L92 heads. Not worth the extra money for a motor just to be able to use heads that aren't that superior. Better heads out there where the 4 inch bore isn't necessary.
    The only real advantage to the 4 inch bore when building a performance motor is that it allows any cylinder head to breath better by unshrouding the valves. So in the end it has more HP potential.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Also I see you are thinking you have to buy an LS6 intake for your swap.

That shouldn't be necessary since you list your car as an 02,,,it already should have the LS6 intake,,,so just swap onto your crate LS6 and you have a complete LS6 ready to go.
    His car is a 99.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

I wouldn't let the 4 inch bore sway me personally just because of the L92 heads. Not worth the extra money for a motor just to be able to use heads that aren't that superior. Better heads out there where the 4 inch bore isn't necessary.
    The only real advantage to the 4 inch bore when building a performance motor is that it allows any cylinder head to breath better by unshrouding the valves. So in the end it has more HP potential.
    I wasnt merely saying id do it just for the heads even though they would be a great budget option for an eventual build. As you said it does have more cubes out of the box which enables it to make more torque. The dyno graphs from a stock z06 and a stock c6 are very similiar at peak however every where from 2k-5k the ls2 is making atleast 20 more hp/tq than an ls6 so if they were the same price id do the ls2. However to get close to the same price as i listed above you would have to settle for a GM rebuilt ls2 that would be a tough decision for me. Rebuilt motor with warranty but more potential or a brand new engine with warranty... Ass far as the ls6 goes though basham jones is right the block itself is different although after 03 or 04 iirc all ls1's got the ls6 block there really isnt any hp to be gained there just some strength the cam and heads make the ls6 the high revving beast it is.
    Last edited by redbird555; 01-26-2011 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    His car is a 99.

Ooops, I thought he had an 02. In that case.....

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    I wasnt merely saying id do it just for the heads even though they would be a great budget option for an eventual build. As you said it does have more cubes out of the box which enables it to make more torque. The dyno graphs from a stock z06 and a stock c6 are very similiar at peak however every where from 2k-5k the ls2 is making atleast 20 more hp/tq than an ls6 so if they were the same price id do the ls2. However to get close to the same price as i listed above you would have to settle for a GM rebuilt ls2 that would be a tough decision for me. Rebuilt motor with warranty but more potential or a brand new engine with warranty...
    Oh I see what you mean. Ya if prices were the same it would be tempting. I do like the torque increase that the extra cubes provide.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

finally found a graph lol the hp isnt that far off but the torque... http://www.ls1speed.com/pictures/c6VSz06.jpg Thats with an ls2 manifold on it also slap on the ls6 and youd probably gain more

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I'd also do the LS6 hands down over an LS2, you just can't beat the price of the LS6 for the power it makes.
    No way is it a waste of time. Not sure where those people are coming from but it's by no means anything close to an LS1 with just an LS6 intake
    The block itself is a completely different part number, with better crank case ventilation. The heads are far superior to LS1 units with about 30 cfm more flow, better exhaust port design. The compression ratio is 1/2 point higher at 10.5:1. The camshaft of course is vastly different along with the valve springs that allow 6500 rpm all day long.
    With a good tune and some headers, Frost reports 400+ rwhp on his dyno out of the box. For $3400 and a warranty?? I don't know anything better out there at this point for the money.

Edit: I forgot to mention you also get the far better PCV system with the LS6 valley cover, which is an upgrade alot of LS1 guys do. Anyway you cut it,,,it just keeps looking better.

That over 400rwhp was with long tube headers and a Fast intake. An LS2 with the same mods will make about 370-380rwhp. The LS6 will plug right in. The LS2 will require conversion parts that add to it's cost (cam sensor harness extension, different knock sensor setup, etc..)

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post

that is still very expensive for a LS6... i got my crate LS6 for $3,400.00 NEW... the only thing that i had to do was swap the pullies and oil pan (because it came with the corvette oil pan) and have been having fun with it ever since...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

oh.. and the dyno numbers on my sig are when the motor was brand new and not broken in at all and before my headers... i should be a good 400+ to the wheels at this point...

Impounded
    Swap list: LS6
    well the reason i want a full assymbled engine is so that i get the ls6 intake, better fuel injectors, and all new coils, etc. etc.
    SDPC sells the LS6 for $5890 +s/h
    Use ls1 tb/intake---comes with LS6 intake
    ls1 oil pan/pickup
    *thats it install and plug in then tune
    knock sensor harness--$60 from SDPC
    cam sensor harness--^^^comes with knock sensor
    ls1 oilpan/pickup
    *07-up ls2 will require 58x conversion---$255 from Lingenfelter if necessary

so it is only a $315 difference. but as Frost said. they dyno with lesser numbers
    but like redbird555 and jones said bigger has better potential down the road. and i do eventually plan to put some heads/cam on this.

so play less for more imediate power
    or play more for more potential power

both engines are intake to oil pan full assymbled

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread Information