Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 379

LS1 & $4k towards rebuild. what to do?

This is a discussion on LS1 & $4k towards rebuild. what to do? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by youngrigo Im hoping for just a blown head gasket.... Took the car to the track and on ...

  1. #241
    Member Jay37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    St Marys GA
    Posts
    238

    Black
    '05 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by youngrigo View Post
    Im hoping for just a blown head gasket.... Took the car to the track and on my 4th run after it was done and heading back it started feeling wierd so i pulled over turned it off, checked the oil and everything looked ok. Turn it back on and now a whole bunch of white smoke kinda smelling like coolent. so call a tow truck get the car back home turn it on again to get it in the garage and now the motor is surging bad like if i would have had a cam in it and a whole bunch of white smoke.... But no knock! so im hoping (wishfull thinking) that its just a head gasket...

    I have yet to take a look at anything.. probably do it this weekend. Drain the oil and see what it looks like. then remove the heads and see what that looks like.
    Sorry to hear that man, best of luck.

  2. #242
    Member youngrigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    247

    Black
    2000 SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay37 View Post
    Sorry to hear that man, best of luck.
    Now i have a reason for a built motor!

  3. #243
    Senior Member redbird555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    pompano beach florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,008
    2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

    I dont think anyone has really been pissing about how strong the 10 bolt is. Its a weak rear end some of us are just saying that if he drives the car on the st and doesnt beat the crap out of it prolly willl last a good amount of time however there are those people that break it on an easy shift and he should be ready for that. Just saying here and maybe someone who knows more about the innards of a t56 will chime in but bent shift forks and broken keys are usually the result of a bad shifter or driver missing gears on stock to bolt on power if im right. the out put shaft tho is a known problem but like i said i wouldnt be saying that these trannys go so easy i frequent tech a lot and there are a lot of people running big power through a stock t56 a few do break under bolt on power but its not the norm from what ive read. this is all pointless tho that rear end is gonna snap long before the t56 and that may not even happen because hell be on street tires. Also to the guy talking about the warranty on the crate engine... I'd rather have the warranty and the crate motor here for a DD. idc what you do as a DIY builder its going to be next to impossible to replicate the reliability of the ls3 crate motor compared to a built lq4.

  4. #244
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Just saying here and maybe someone who knows more about the innards of a t56 will chime in but bent shift forks and broken keys are usually the result of a bad shifter or driver missing gears on stock to bolt on power if im right. the out put shaft tho is a known problem but like i said i wouldnt be saying that these trannys go so easy i frequent tech a lot and there are a lot of people running big power through a stock t56 a few do break under bolt on power but its not the norm from what ive read.
    Running big power through them is doable, but are they hooking? That's when stuff starts to break. A little wheel spin will save parts. Shifting issues could be the cause of bent forks and broken keys, but it also says these parts are weak to begin with if they can't take that sort of abuse. I rarely see a T56 car at the track that is shifted like they mean it.
    When you really want to get after it, the stock stuff in there doesn't cut it. I've seen shaved teeth off second gear, shaved teeth off the clusters, etc...I've had these things cracked open, they aren't bad, but there are alot of improvements to be made. For a fun street car it's okay if you REALLY need the overdrive, because that's really all they have to offer.

  5. #245
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    Fuzion F1 275/40R17s...no i dont catch any traction. A hard enough shift into 3rd would break loose enough to enable my traction control.

  6. #246
    Senior Member redbird555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    pompano beach florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,008
    2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Running big power through them is doable, but are they hooking? That's when stuff starts to break. A little wheel spin will save parts. Shifting issues could be the cause of bent forks and broken keys, but it also says these parts are weak to begin with if they can't take that sort of abuse. I rarely see a T56 car at the track that is shifted like they mean it.
    When you really want to get after it, the stock stuff in there doesn't cut it. I've seen shaved teeth off second gear, shaved teeth off the clusters, etc...I've had these things cracked open, they aren't bad, but there are alot of improvements to be made. For a fun street car it's okay if you REALLY need the overdrive, because that's really all they have to offer.
    By no means am I saying they are great with bigger power just that with stock power there arent that many issues. but like ive been saying with the ls3 its possible it may go but i'd be worrying about the rear end long before that but since it wont be hooking and he doesnt want to spend the cash on a 9" i wouldnt consider a tranny now if he was gonna do anything first itd be a rear lol

  7. #247
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    By no means am I saying they are great with bigger power just that with stock power there arent that many issues. but like ive been saying with the ls3 its possible it may go but i'd be worrying about the rear end long before that but since it wont be hooking and he doesnt want to spend the cash on a 9" i wouldnt consider a tranny now if he was gonna do anything first itd be a rear lol
    I agree as long as the tranny is in working order, I'd do the rearend first. I don't care for a 7.5" in anything with a V8 in front.

  8. #248

  9. #249
    Junior Member blackmagicturbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ventura, ca
    Posts
    90

    bleen
    2000 SS

    13 pages and some serious discussion about m6 and stock rears,, so what did you decide on engine wise ?

  10. #250
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    ls3.


    however i found a 2000 WS6 with 4,500 miles on it... still twisting my parents are on that one tho. im about $5000 short tho

  11. #251
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Uh oh, that opens up a completely different can of worms. Do I fix the car I have or sell it and buy a different one,,,,,Hmmmm

  12. #252
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    yeah tell em about it. my parents dont want me spending $9000 on an engine and later on spending more on the other mods...

    yet they dont want me to go through the "hassle" of buying a different car

    maybe ill save for a new style corvette FTW!!!

  13. #253
    Member Jay37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    St Marys GA
    Posts
    238

    Black
    '05 GTO

    Maybe you could just elope and move out west? Just my .02$

  14. #254
    Senior Member redbird555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    pompano beach florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,008
    2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

    If 9k isnt the option theres the ls6, for around 3500 you could have a car that will trap over 115 with a good driver with bolt ons and plug right into your car...

  15. #255
    Senior Member redbird555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    pompano beach florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,008
    2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

    Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Basham if there is a clunking noise and it truly needs a full rebuild that motor probably wouldnt last more than a week in its current condition let alone months if its still running all these weeks later my guess is that it doesnt need one, but maybe its a simpler issue.
    No one has still answered this... If they told him its not a lifter and its not a pushrod, the motor has internal damage but you can still drive it i would be like wtf?!?!? As I said above a motor with internal damage like that probably wouldnt last 100 miles before it sent something flying so what kind of noise is the engine actually making and how do YOU know for sure its trashed? sorry for the double post btw

  16. #256
    Member youngrigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    247

    Black
    2000 SS

    Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    If 9k isnt the option theres the ls6, for around 3500 you could have a car that will trap over 115 with a good driver with bolt ons and plug right into your car...
    +1....

  17. #257
    Member Jay37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    St Marys GA
    Posts
    238

    Black
    '05 GTO

    LOL basham your cool, but there seems to be ALOT of irony here, I mean imagine this. You pick up some hot peice of ass in your car, thinkin "oh this kid is got some balls" then you call mom for a time check.

    If I was in your shoes I would beat the brakes off the car until it blew, like no shit blow the engine. then tell your mom you were just going to get your girlfriend flowers and bam, that bitch blew. well maybe say bam the engine blew. Then they will feel obligated to help you, also blow up, or just total that monte first (and if you have another backup blow up/crash that to). Then tell your mom you spent all your savings on a necklace for your girlfriend. They will then pay for a shop to replace the engine. Then go to the shop without your parents and give him the extra money(your savings you mistakingly told mom you spent on your future baby maker), and have him do cam, heads, stall, axle shafts, and such (Don't acted scared cause they will think your up to some shady operations if you do).

    What do you think, I think it sounds solid. See the key in life is selling the woman. Don't worry about your old man, she will sell him. She'll say "oh he's in love..." cause she thinks you spent all your money on some broad and was the victum of a bad turn of events. I.E. your engine blowing.

    This way you can get a fresh engine for free! Or FREEBIE like the old monster garage.

    I think I need to put I am just kidding, or some type of disclosure here. Well I am just kidding, but "In my kidding world it would work"
    Last edited by Jay37; 01-19-2011 at 12:53 PM.
    RUDE, CRUDE, AND SOCIABLY UNACCEPTABLE.

  18. #258
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    If 9k isnt the option theres the ls6, for around 3500 you could have a car that will trap over 115 with a good driver with bolt ons and plug right into your car...
    Ding ding ding,,,we have a winner

    This is the option some of us have been pushing all along. Best bang for the buck, simple, easy, cheap, warranty, plug and play, and enough power to satisfy most, but most importantly,,,it'll keep your parents happy on the expenditures. What's not to like?

  19. #259
    Senior Member redbird555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    pompano beach florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,008
    2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ding ding ding,,,we have a winner

    This is the option some of us have been pushing all along. Best bang for the buck, simple, easy, cheap, warranty, plug and play, and enough power to satisfy most, but most importantly,,,it'll keep your parents happy on the expenditures. What's not to like?
    I know right lol Ive been saying it since my first post it will be what I do to my car when I finally do pull the motor out... He just seemed like he wanted something more so i suggested the ls3 but if $$ wont allow then its not an option. But seriously I'd really like to know the answer to my last question about it needing a rebuild but still being good to drive fr 6 months?!?

  20. #260
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Agree. I don't think anyone knows, including the shop, what the fawk is REALLY wrong with his current ride.

    If he spun a bearing, it would NOT be drivable for that long.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: LS1 Rebuild
    By SilentTrouble in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 03:51 PM
  2. Anything else before rebuild?
    By RollOut in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-13-2011, 08:54 PM
  3. rebuild it
    By rsg98Z28 in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 10:22 PM
  4. Question: T56 rebuild...
    By hec33 in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 05:57 PM
  5. T56 Rebuild
    By ChrisH in forum Southern Members
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2007, 05:30 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •