Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

LS1 & $4k towards rebuild. what to do?

This is a discussion on LS1 & $4k towards rebuild. what to do? within the Internal Engine forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; My guess is around 11-12K when all said and done just for the swap, not including things you already mentioned. ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My guess is around 11-12K when all said and done just for the swap, not including things you already mentioned.

Let's not forget about suspension either

You'll have 15-17K tied up into a 1999 Ws6. Do you love your car that much? If not, you could probably find a whole new car that has a lot of the things you are looking for already installed on it for cheaper.

Black
    '05 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    My guess is around 11-12K when all said and done just for the swap, not including things you already mentioned.

Let's not forget about suspension either

You'll have 15-17K tied up into a 1999 Ws6. Do you love your car that much? If not, you could probably find a whole new car that has a lot of the things you are looking for already installed on it for cheaper.
    +1

If he is not doing it, for the point of having fun doing the work, I.E. the engine swap. My vote is trade it in for an '05 '06 goat, you can find a nice one for about 14k. At least go test drive one basham.

Impounded
    with all things considered. its an M6.
    quoted a few days back. 1300-1400 and this included dyno, swap, fluids, labor etc.
    GREADTuning.com - Charles was nice enough to quote me. REVNORR82 has had work done by them and he said that they are good.

and yes. i love this car. always been a GM born and raised. loved the trans ams since i seen Smokey and the Bandit... drolled over these cars since i was 13...and i plan to keep this car for a very...very long time.

money.
    my currnet savings is $4784.65
    i should bring in about $5000 this summer depending
    i have motor mounts already. and the exhaust.

ive babied my firebird...which needed a new tranny (A4) for 10,000 miles
    ive babied my ws6 for 2000 miles now needing a new motor.
    i may be 18. but i do have a little bit of self control and a decent head on my shoulder (not to sound like a know it all teenager) and im not trying to be a douche either.

i respect what you say and have taken it into account. and yes i have been looking at dealerships to see if i do run into something. (GTO, WS6, SS, 350Z, Truck)

but when im walking up to my car... it still brings a smile to my face. and it does the same to alot of ppl.

and i have a plan set up.. a nice timely plan that also includes saving for college and other expenses. law school isnt cheap you know..

ill be stoping by a few other places to get other quotes and ill be stopping by GREADtuning to discuss and make sure i have everything in order and let the look at the car.

Black
    '05 GTO

Have you had a face to face with charles?

Did he tell you that, his quote was a final answer?

If he is willing to bolt a LS3 into a stock F-body he is most likely leaving his (very good) opinion to himself. Because let's say you do do this, do you think you can beat a F-body with 5.3 heads on a lq4 with a stall, 4l80 and 9" outback with cheater slicks and a tuned suspension? Probably done for much cheaper than your biuld?

Some men make cars faster do say what they have... Others truly like fast cars.

Black
    '05 GTO

All that work and parts for 1300-1400 sounds fishy to me.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Jay37 View Post
    All that work and parts for 1300-1400 sounds fishy to me.
    I've never had an engine swap quoted before, but I know labor rates at any shop are at around $100/hr.

If this includes the tune ($300-$500), this means this shop is quoting that the swap will take anywhere from 8 hrs to 11 hrs.

I don't think that even sounds in the ballpark, but I may be wrong!

Black
    '05 GTO

^^^^ LOL and fluids, and replacement whatevers...

The question here is

Quality VS. Quantity
    RUDE, CRUDE, AND SOCIABLY UNACCEPTABLE.

bleen
    2000 SS

Any "reputable shop" thats done these styles of swaps over and over again can tell you exactly how much a swap like this will be ,,ASSUMING the rest of the car is in working order when it is brought in..

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Have you had a face to face with charles?

Did he tell you that, his quote was a final answer?

If he is willing to bolt a LS3 into a stock F-body he is most likely leaving his (very good) opinion to himself. Because let's say you do do this, do you think you can beat a F-body with 5.3 heads on a lq4 with a stall, 4l80 and 9" outback with cheater slicks and a tuned suspension? Probably done for much cheaper than your biuld?

Some men make cars faster do say what they have... Others truly like fast cars.
    With all do respect this ls3 with bolt ons should have no problem out powering that car it would make more power under the curve and probably slightly more up top. HOWEVER since this obviously wont have the suspension or tires the lq4 would probably take it due to traction issues. To do what you are saying with the lq4 engine alone would only be about 3k if you used all new parts compared to 6600 for the ls3 and with that extra money you could certainly build one badass motor. Although what the op seems to be looking for is an engine with a warranty that is reliable day to day. Can the lq4 be reliable with a cam and heads? Absolutely, but will it be as reliable as a factory motor with warranty? Probably not. Also the op doesnt look like hell be doing any of the work himself so by the time he had someone assemble another engine and apply all the upgrades we listed here your probably only talking a difference of a couple grand at the end of the swap. Dont forget being he has an m6 he could save the $1500+ he'd spend on a built tranny and stall and put it towards his motr/suspension or whatever.

bleen
    2000 SS

Alot of the times the bill is off for me is when a customer goes out and buys the wrong stuff and brings it to the builder ,complicating an install and waisting time.. find a person who does these swaps "alot" and ask them how much it will be for them to source you a motor of what your taste acquires and give them the deposit and pay the total ,relaxing as the builder does his or her jobs.. tryin to save a buck by sourcing your own parts and buying what people think you need only makes it more expensive in the end.

bleen
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    With all do respect this ls3 with bolt ons should have no problem out powering that car it would make more power under the curve and probably slightly more up top. HOWEVER since this obviously wont have the suspension or tires the lq4 would probably take it due to traction issues. To do what you are saying with the lq4 engine alone would only be about 3k if you used all new parts compared to 6600 for the ls3 and with that extra money you could certainly build one badass motor. Although what the op seems to be looking for is an engine with a warranty that is reliable day to day. Can the lq4 be reliable with a cam and heads? Absolutely, but will it be as reliable as a factory motor with warranty? Probably not. Also the op doesnt look like hell be doing any of the work himself so by the time he had someone assemble another engine and apply all the upgrades we listed here your probably only talking a difference of a couple grand at the end of the swap. Dont forget being he has an m6 he could save the $1500+ he'd spend on a built tranny and stall and put it towards his motr/suspension or whatever.
    Thats a great point ,agreed ..

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The T56 is NOT that stout.

Mine broke with only 12K miles on it and almost no track use.

I'd be prepared for an upgrade eventually.

Black
    '05 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    So at least his car will "sound fast"

What I'm saying is, this is probably not the happiest combo, 400+ horse and torque with 7.5 inch 28 spline rearend.... REALLY? The only place that car is going is home. Also I feel as though a steel block biult properly is much more reliable than a aluminum. I am not trying to influence the biuld at all. Really I just don't want this guy to piss off the actual mechanic. It gets old when these guys think they have everything licked, really they don't have a start. That's all.

If some one doesn't KNOW what is going on and there not doing there own work, IMO they should let the shop make the calls. MAKE ALL THE CALLS. All your going to do is piss off the mechanic when you tell him the "SPECS" LOL. He will then probably loose a little patience. Do you tell wal-mart how to make their products?
    Last edited by Jay37; 01-16-2011 at 08:08 PM.

Black
    '05 GTO

Also if you want to talk E.T.'s the T-56 is good for probably loosing a full second off a quarter mile time vs a good stalled auto.... I'm making fast cars... I don't know what he is trying to do?

EDIT.\

I'm not trying to be a dick but this shit gets old.
    Last edited by Jay37; 01-16-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Impounded
    Yes. After my budget alows me to do so... I will be sending my tranny to RPM/Tick for a rebuild. Along with a clutch and some hydralic upgrades. Then afterthat a new rear. By that time i will be in need for new tires anyways. And ill be adding suspension odds and ends as time goes on..

A responsible person knows how much they can afford and when they can afford it...and they know when to stop
    And if my tranny or rear does take a dump before i can get it replaced...then i dont have a monte carlo i could drive if worse comes to worse.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

What I'm saying is, this is probably not the happiest combo, 400+ horse and torque with 7.5 inch 28 spline rearend.... REALLY? The only place that car is going is home. Also I feel as though a steel block biult properly is much more reliable than a aluminum. I am not trying to influence the biuld at all. Really I just don't want this guy to piss off the actual mechanic. It gets old when these guys think they have everything licked, really they don't have a start. That's all.

If some one doesn't KNOW what is going on and there not doing there own work, IMO they should let the shop make the calls. MAKE ALL THE CALLS. All your going to do is piss off the mechanic when you tell him the "SPECS" LOL. He will then probably loose a little patience. Do you tell wal-mart how to make their products?
    I agree. Find a builder, one who is reputable, one who has done this swap more than a handful of times and take the above advice. The end.

bleen
    2000 SS

bashamws6 seems to know what he wants ,and ive seen plenty of stock a4 and m6 cars handle 400+ hosepower with stock rears for a long time, it just depends on how you drive it ..

this car has been on the same stock rear for over a year now and its on a trans brake and slick with 2 stages .. just sayin there not as weak as people think

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRIyeJZYyWM[/ame]
    Last edited by blackmagicturbo; 01-16-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Black
    '05 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagicturbo View Post
    bashamws6 seems to know what he wants ,and ive seen plenty of stock a4 and m6 cars handle with 400+ hosepower with stock rears for a long time, it just depends on how you drive it ..
    I agree, but I also feel there is more depth to it.... He'll be running around sounding like joe dirt saying "you like them spinning tires"

Also what is the point of a fast car if you can't weld the pedal to floor and run that bitch? With todays rev limiters and computer controls, if a car is biult properly the only thing the costumer should be able to do is crash, other than that the engine and driveline should be set up to be "stupid proof" (I include myself in the "stupid" category, we are all human teenage or not"If it is not, I would find a different shop. I am never worried about how "he drives the car," I am more worried about what his mom is going to say to me, when we meet in the hospitol. Seriously. That IMO is a good shop. I sold ONE car that was my own. A teenager bought it, and had SERIOUS weight reduction done on it, to the point of it not being safe, it had a five point harness and such, but still very dangerous in the street.

A young man came to buy it, fell in love with it. I wouldn't sell it to him tell his parents/loved ones came and talked to me. I disclosed it was not a safe street car, then sold it.
    Last edited by Jay37; 01-16-2011 at 08:33 PM.

bleen
    2000 SS

I agree, but I also feel there is more depth to it.... He'll be running around sounding like joe dirt saying "you like them spinning tires"
    This guy doesnt seem like he is taking his car to the track ,, he just wants to feel or know he has the power if he needs it .

Impounded
    Im not rushing into anything. Im sort of anal when it comes to this shit. Took me 5 months to find my car because i picked everything apart and over analyized. But this is the way i look at it.
    A- invest into the suspension of the car thats engine will take a shit shortly...its in the garage

B- sell it and buy another ls1 (stock power again) and start from scratch with a ls platform that i planned to replace anyways

C- sell it and buy whole different car loose the ws6... Which id rather not

D- replace with a larger more powerful engine and get that platform in there and build up the rest of the car to support that kind of power (yes i realize this is backwards) but im not going to take it to the stip on a stock rear and tranny. Tempting yes but i think i can keep my foot light enough to keep it intact until i can get everything up to par

E-???

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information